So How Many Rounds out of a New Bore before You begin

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BushXM15

BushXM15

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 6,707

Posted May. 14 2018 - 03:53 PM

OK : So everyone's got an opinion ,lets hear them .  Breaking in a NEW barrel  what do YOU do ?.

I start by Polishing MY bore  not excessively but thoroughly then Clean the dog snot out of it !.

Followed by  fouling shots shoot one ,then clean bore  repeat  around 8-12 times generally .

I then begin too shoot either  #2  or #3 rounds and clean , I might do this 4-6 times .

I then begin load development ,I'll shoot #3 and swab for copper and adjust depending on copper left behind .

By Adjusting I might scrub bore with compound paste or shoot more foulers and clean the Dog Snot out of the bore again .

Generally by #50-60 rounds I'm either happy or disappointed with load or barrel accuracy and investigate as too which is the culprit !...

Signature:

G. is a used Dildo without batteries ! ...

#2 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 17,756

Posted May. 14 2018 - 04:04 PM

My barrel break in?

Initial clean :(bore snake), then load and shoot.

I've yet to see proof "break in" does anything personally.

A really rough bore may take a few more shots to smooth out, still I don't do anything special.

YMMV.

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#3 OFFLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 13,758

Posted May. 14 2018 - 04:38 PM

Well, I have tried to break in my Black Hole barrel and got 1 patch of black powder fouling and then no copper fouling at all. Did that for a few shots and then switched to 5 rounds between cleaning. Still no copper. Stopped messing with it, fired 150 or so over the course of 3 months and then tried again and got the very faintest of blue on the patch. 

I am sure some barrels could benefit from break in but it doesn't seem that BHW barrels need it at all. 

And I have to say the BHW barrel is the smoothest barrel I have ever driven a patch through. It almost feels like the jag is undersized.

Signature:

I WILL NOT COMPLY!

This post approved by the NSA!

I mean if you are going to go potato go full potato.

We are never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy......
Sight picture and trigger control, the 2 most important things I am teaching my son.
Criminals, if they retreat in the face of lethal force kill them for not even having the work ethic to do their chosen profession well.
So we are expected to believe that the same scientists that are 50% wrong on the weather of the Earth tomorrow are somehow able to predict a storm on a star 93 million miles away in 2 years.
Get real.

"Gitmo, you didn't close that!"

#4 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted May. 14 2018 - 04:51 PM

For the last four years all I do is run a wet patch through them and a dry patch.  I then go shoot. I haven't seen a thing that helps these poly barrels on break in. I'm as likely to get a sub- 0.5 MOA group with the first five on target as not if not then within four groups. I clean the barrel after the first 75-100 rounds or so.

Greg

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#5 ONLINE   ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 31,802

Posted May. 14 2018 - 07:22 PM

ARP warns against excessive cleaning ,I just clean once and shoot until accuracy drops off .Out of my 5 most accurate guns 3 are ARP 6.8s so who am I to argue .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

#6 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted May. 14 2018 - 07:44 PM

More barrels have been worn out or damaged by cleaning than ever have been shot out. A quick wet patch to clean any dust/dirt/grease leftover from the rifling process, a dry patch to ensure it's clean, then go shoot for groups. 

• Retcop likes this

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"

- Einstein

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

-Ernest Hemingway

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#7 OFFLINE   BushXM15

BushXM15

Posted May. 15 2018 - 05:15 PM

Well I believe I'll stick with what's worked best for ME ,as others agree with the principles ...

http://www.rifleshoo...elbreak_200809/

http://www.rifleshoo...k-rifle-barrel/

#8 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted May. 15 2018 - 05:58 PM

Well I believe I'll stick with what's worked best for ME ,as others agree with the principles ...

Some agree, some disagree.

#9 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted May. 15 2018 - 05:59 PM

An article written about a precision barrel maker and his take on it. Also where the idea of break in originated possibly?

http://www.6mmbr.com...McMbreakin.html

#10 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted May. 15 2018 - 06:25 PM

Old Gail wrote that years ago. Smart man.  BTW the BHW barrels have special wax in them that is best left in place during the first shots It seems to help longevity on the barrel. Something about a bare bullet in a dry bore causes issues.

Greg

#11 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 21,495

Posted May. 15 2018 - 07:48 PM

Initial clean with a bore snake, I fill the magazine, I shoot the magazine.
Clean it once you see a drop in accuracy. For me once a year on some rifles, followed by a range session.

Signature:
WELCOME TO MY HOME THAT DOOR YOU JUST KICKED IN, WAS LOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION, NOT MINE.
K.C.C.O
FIGHT UNTIL HELL FREEZES OVER THEN FIGHT ON THE ICE.
UNION
GAS IT UP AND BURN IT DOWN
VikingPrayer2_zpsc58b35ab.png

#12 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

Posted May. 15 2018 - 07:50 PM

Greg, need you to have a class for armory members so I can get my money out of a 6.5 bergara hmr b14.

#13 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

Posted May. 15 2018 - 07:52 PM

To quote my millennial rookie, "You do you"

• Derk_digler24 likes this

#14 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted May. 15 2018 - 08:16 PM

Greg, need you to have a class for armory members so I can get my money out of a 6.5 bergara hmr b14.

He'd definitely give you some good advice.

You going to the Armory get together? NRA Whittington center with lots of long rang shooting going on!

#15 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

Posted May. 15 2018 - 10:51 PM

He'd definitely give you somehow advice.
You going to the Armory get together? NRA Whittington center with lots of long rang shooting going on!

Not with my work schedule. Would love to go but everytime I think I'm going to be able to shoot I end up going to a different part of the country lol.

#16 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Banned

• Member ID: 750

Posted May. 15 2018 - 11:00 PM

Before Gale McMillion died he told me barrel break in was desigend by barrel makers to sell more barrels as all they did was to accelerate wear and was totally useless...........

OK : So everyone's got an opinion ,lets hear them .  Breaking in a NEW barrel  what do YOU do ?.

I start by Polishing MY bore  not excessively but thoroughly then Clean the dog snot out of it !.

Followed by  fouling shots shoot one ,then clean bore  repeat  around 8-12 times generally .

I then begin too shoot either  #2  or #3 rounds and clean , I might do this 4-6 times .

I then begin load development ,I'll shoot #3 and swab for copper and adjust depending on copper left behind .

By Adjusting I might scrub bore with compound paste or shoot more foulers and clean the Dog Snot out of the bore again .

Generally by #50-60 rounds I'm either happy or disappointed with load or barrel accuracy and investigate as too which is the culprit !...

#17 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted May. 16 2018 - 12:06 AM

Not with my work schedule. Would love to go but everytime I think I'm going to be able to shoot I end up going to a different part of the country lol.

That sucks.

#18 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted May. 16 2018 - 09:43 AM

It's too bad my big trip this year is to my 50th high school reunion. I'd love to be there.  As fro teaching a class ..I'm not anymore talented than you guys I just paint my self in a good light.

My specialty is MATH and how to apply it to the gun. Plain and simple if the math is right and the aim is true, along with maybe twenty other things, it'll be a hit. Mild dots are one of my big things and how they are used to range targets or establish target sizes. Throw in a dose of trigonometry and you have most of my secrets.

My approach to shooting is also quite mental, in a good way BTW, in that prep of he brain really pays off. A bit of self esteem/ego that can be pulled up and not be bruised too badly when things don't go perfectly well. I sure didn't develop it but I've found that over time lots of things can be improved with the right set of thoughts. I learned it early on bowling for money. I don't always get solidly into the mind set as much as I should but it's in there.If you read the little vignette on my shooting the groups with the 6X6.8 the other day when the SWAT boys started to watch I can tell you I dug deep that day and buzzers get me into hyper-drive. It's there when you develop and have success with it over time.  

This is a little clip that only takes a bit of substitution to apply to us. If I could teach you all one thing this would be it. It was a huge changeling teaching my classes for M/o's, snipers,  over the years with younger guys with some experience but no real foundation in precision shooting. They rarely had the mind set when they got to class and other than the dry math I tried to get them to transcend to that level. Those testosterone charged young studs had to be gentled down to produce on demand and I like to think that they left with the wisdom and experience of the Gene Wilder looking guy who was just a nurse.

Just some thoughts that are a tad of topic.  Now if you'll excuse me I have 300 cases that need filling.

Greg

• Derk_digler24 likes this

#19 OFFLINE   BushXM15

BushXM15

Posted May. 16 2018 - 03:55 PM

To quote my millennial rookie, "You do you"

More barrels have been worn out or damaged by cleaning than ever have been shot out. A quick wet patch to clean any dust/dirt/grease leftover from the rifling process, a dry patch to ensure it's clean, then go shoot for groups. 

So according to You .More Barrels have been worn out by cleaning rather than by  Throating ?. ( erosion caused by direct impingement of gas and solid particles traveling across the bore surface.)

With Precision barrels such as Lija and Schnieder break in isn't as crucial as with other barrels  IMO . The a fore mentioned are pretty much hand lapped at factory but other off the shelf  barrel and Rifle manufacturers aren't as demanding or picky , their production orientated not precision driven   !.

As with any other subject there are  fiction and  tales then there are Facts with proven results , I shall stick with the latter ...

#20 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

Posted May. 16 2018 - 05:53 PM

So according to You .More Barrels have been worn out by cleaning rather than by  Throating ?. ( erosion caused by direct impingement of gas and solid particles traveling across the bore surface.)

With Precision barrels such as Lija and Schnieder break in isn't as crucial as with other barrels  IMO . The a fore mentioned are pretty much hand lapped at factory but other off the shelf  barrel and Rifle manufacturers aren't as demanding or picky , their production orientated not precision driven   !.

As with any other subject there are  fiction and  tales then there are Facts with proven results , I shall stick with the latter ...

You're kind of being a jerk here. You asked what we (other members) do, I offered an opinion. You countered that and offered up opinions supporting your argument. I decided not to argue, and simply said you do your thing, I'll do mine. Now you suggest my opinion is "fiction and tales", and yours is obviously "facts with proven results"? This is the kind of crap that made gmor almost a pariah around here. His opinion is the only correct one based in "fact", everyone else is simply spewing lies and hate. 

Don't be a gmor. 

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center