• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 24,285

Posted May. 16 2018 - 07:06 PM

On my military plan I can pick it up for 50% off. Apple has ticked me off with the lack of adding a memory card for storage. I can get up to a 400 Gig card for the Samsung 9s. Tell me if you have one and what you like or dislike about it.

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#2 OFFLINE   Casper

Casper

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 17,345

Posted May. 16 2018 - 08:51 PM

They're great phones. My wife and I have older versions of the galaxy S9. The only thing I don't like is not being able to replace the battery myself after a couple years. It's not removable. But neither is the iPhone, right?

But if you don't use it all the freaking time like my wife does, it'll last a long time.

50% off that phone is a no brainer in my opinion.

But it'll be a learning curve switching away from an iPhone. IPhone's get better software updates than galaxy's do, but I don't know how much that matters. Both get fixes and security upgrades. That's my understanding anyway.

Signature:
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for."

#3 OFFLINE   Casper

Casper

Posted May. 16 2018 - 09:02 PM

https://www.cnet.com...editors-review/

#4 ONLINE   Joel74

Joel74

You got one shot left in that shooter. Make the most of it.

• Member ID: 28,391

Posted May. 16 2018 - 09:08 PM

It's not about indictment. It's about reliving the wet dream of Watergate and Richard Nixon. Impeachment or resignation.

Signature:

I will not comply.
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."- Thomas Jefferson
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

7aKLqtJ.jpg

#5 OFFLINE   Casper

Casper

Posted May. 16 2018 - 09:27 PM

It's not about indictment. It's about reliving the wet dream of Watergate and Richard Nixon. Impeachment or resignation.

Yes, I'm sure Watergate information can be found on the Samsung S9. Tricky Dicky info as well. But I think he's asking about more hardware and software issues.

:laugh:

#6 ONLINE   Joel74

Joel74

Posted May. 17 2018 - 05:37 AM

Yes, I'm sure Watergate information can be found on the Samsung S9. Tricky Dicky info as well. But I think he's asking about more hardware and software issues.

:laugh:

This is what happens when you have two tabs open. I scratched my head when I looked for my reply to the post this comment was supposed to be for.

About the Samsung 9s, I have the pro version and like it. I went from the 7s to the 9s pro so I'm used to android phones. This was a big improvement for me. Big two, the 7s fit in my shirt pocket with about 1/4" being visible. This one peeks out over the top almost a full inch.

It has a nice camera. Just figuring out the settings. The facial recognition is a bit of a learning curve. If you hold the phone to close or far doesn't always unlock. But the keypad that opens when this happens is easy to use. Much better than my previous phone. You can always use the thumb print scanner as well.

I've never owned an Iphone so I'm not sure what the learning curve would be.

Edited by Joel74, May. 17 2018 - 05:38 AM.

#7 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Member ID: 31,419

Posted May. 17 2018 - 06:35 AM

My SiL is a district manager for AT&T and carries the S9. He really likes it. I have the S7 which I purchased primarily for it's camera. I'm fixin' to kill it's data function and port my number over to a little flip phone. Feel like I'm humping a tablet carrying that smart phone around. For those who use a smartphone as a mobile computer, I'm sure it's a great device. But I can't wait to get another little flip phone.

Signature:

This is my last build.

#8 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted May. 17 2018 - 07:57 AM

Premium phone and yes the memory card is a big deal. 

This is what happens when you have two tabs open. I scratched my head when I looked for my reply to the post this comment was supposed to be for.

About the Samsung 9s, I have the pro version and like it. I went from the 7s to the 9s pro so I'm used to android phones. This was a big improvement for me. Big two, the 7s fit in my shirt pocket with about 1/4" being visible. This one peeks out over the top almost a full inch.

It has a nice camera. Just figuring out the settings. The facial recognition is a bit of a learning curve. If you hold the phone to close or far doesn't always unlock. But the keypad that opens when this happens is easy to use. Much better than my previous phone. You can always use the thumb print scanner as well.

I've never owned an Iphone so I'm not sure what the learning curve would be.

I switched from Doid to Iphone and now back due to their planned obsolescence schemes. 

As for how complicated the Iphone is, I call the "I" in Iplone "Idiots" because the Iphone is for idiots.  Anyone can use an Iphone as long as you use their crap, Itunes.  My new Droid, Moto2, is way more complicated and a 100 times more versatile in how customize the phone.  Though I did, most of my extended family that has Iphones don't even download their pictures.  They are more simple but i can't tell you its a plus.  Its a negative for me.  I just hate all their proprietary BS. 

Tj

#9 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Member ID: 24,285

Posted May. 17 2018 - 10:20 AM

Now you are pulling my tricks...lol

#10 ONLINE   Joel74

Joel74

Posted May. 17 2018 - 10:41 AM

Now you are pulling my tricks...lol

Wondered what happened to my reply to the other post. But was afraid trying to post again with give me the double post. Ha! much more embrassing than that. Oh well.

#11 ONLINE   Joel74

Joel74

Posted May. 17 2018 - 10:44 AM

I'm happy with my new phone. That price is a sweet deal. I like the edge function that wasn't part of the previouw Samsung phone I owned. Only had the phone a little over 1 month so I'm not as up to speed on all of the features as I should be. I do like having an audio input jack. Lost my blue tooth headset and have a set of wired earbuds in my glove box that work with the phone. I also have a cable to use with my sound attenuation head phones I can hook up when I mow the grass and listen to tunes.

#12 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted May. 17 2018 - 11:21 AM

Premium phone and yes the memory card is a big deal. 

I switched from Doid to Iphone and now back due to their planned obsolescence schemes. 

As for how complicated the Iphone is, I call the "I" in Iplone "Idiots" because the Iphone is for idiots.  Anyone can use an Iphone as long as you use their crap, Itunes.  My new Droid, Moto2, is way more complicated and a 100 times more versatile in how customize the phone.  Though I did, most of my extended family that has Iphones don't even download their pictures.  They are more simple but i can't tell you its a plus.  Its a negative for me.  I just hate all their proprietary BS. 

Tj

Always felt like using an Apple product it was "Mother may I" and other "control-freak" bs from them. For example, for years if you used Chrome on an iphone Apple disabled some features and slowed the browser to "encourage" the use of Safari. I understand now that is no longer the case. All roads go thru iTunes, iCloud, etc. BTW, getting the little LG B470 flip today. SiL told me moments ago that AT&T are currently planning to turn off access (signal for phone / txt) to all flip phones in the next 18-24 months.

#13 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted May. 17 2018 - 11:40 AM

I'm happy with my new phone. That price is a sweet deal. I like the edge function that wasn't part of the previouw Samsung phone I owned. Only had the phone a little over 1 month so I'm not as up to speed on all of the features as I should be. I do like having an audio input jack. Lost my blue tooth headset and have a set of wired earbuds in my glove box that work with the phone. I also have a cable to use with my sound attenuation head phones I can hook up when I mow the grass and listen to tunes.

Glad you like it, we've been hooked on Samsung phones since the S2. Wife and I have the S8+ right now, and the oldest has an S8, we love them. 

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"

- Einstein

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

-Ernest Hemingway

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#14 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted May. 18 2018 - 06:10 AM

I lasted almost a full 2 hours with my flip phone last night. Reckon I'm addicted to the features of my Samsung. Can't just switch back online or swap SIMS (different size cards); gotta go all the way to town for my punishment. But I will have a strawberry milkshake today so it's not all bad.

#15 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted May. 18 2018 - 06:49 AM

My SiL is a district manager for AT&T and carries the S9. He really likes it. I have the S7 which I purchased primarily for it's camera. I'm fixin' to kill it's data function and port my number over to a little flip phone. Feel like I'm humping a tablet carrying that smart phone around. For those who use a smartphone as a mobile computer, I'm sure it's a great device. But I can't wait to get another little flip phone.

I completely get it, which is why it was just last year I got my first smartphone. 

I have a cell phone to 1) Text my wife and family; 2) Call my wife and family; 3) have a way to communicate in an emergency.

You might have to go with a carrier that specializes in "geezer phones" .

One of the reasons I broke down and got a smart phone was the unbelievably bad quality of the

new dumb phones, at least those offered by AT&T and Verizon.   Maybe a check of Consumer Reports

would help you find a phone where the buttons still work after 6 months, and can get decent "reception".

The slide phones are nice because of the keyboard, for folks like me whose primary use is texting. 

After having said all that,over the past year I have found some of features of the smartphone to be useful.

It is a no brainer to realize that it IS nice to have the Internet on your belt, including the map and driving direction app. 

It still is not something that I feel I have to have, and I would not be distressed if the ,gov banned "assault smartphones"

and made me turn it in for  a flip or slide phone.  

• bamashooter likes this

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#16 ONLINE   Joel74

Joel74

Posted May. 18 2018 - 08:54 AM

I completely get it, which is why it was just last year I got my first smartphone. 

I have a cell phone to 1) Text my wife and family; 2) Call my wife and family; 3) have a way to communicate in an emergency.

You might have to go with a carrier that specializes in "geezer phones" .

One of the reasons I broke down and got a smart phone was the unbelievably bad quality of the

new dumb phones, at least those offered by AT&T and Verizon.   Maybe a check of Consumer Reports

would help you find a phone where the buttons still work after 6 months, and can get decent "reception".

The slide phones are nice because of the keyboard, for folks like me whose primary use is texting. 

After having said all that,over the past year I have found some of features of the smartphone to be useful.

It is a no brainer to realize that it IS nice to have the Internet on your belt, including the map and driving direction app. 

It still is not something that I feel I have to have, and I would not be distressed if the ,gov banned "assault smartphones"

and made me turn it in for  a flip or slide phone.  

Texting became easier once the feature was added that suggest words when you start typing the first letter. Some things like my complete address are suggested when I type the first two numbers of my address.

• Retcop likes this

#17 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted May. 18 2018 - 11:29 AM

Got the S7 reactivated this morning. Good to go. The only major issue is the S7 has very little volume to hear others unless on speaker phone. It's a very well known issue that will likely not be remedied.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center