Broken gas ring jam

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zoomy

zoomy

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 21,935

Posted May. 23 2018 - 08:04 AM

I was testing my new light weight AR-15 build when after the eight shot it jammed and would not go into battery. Despite using all known methods I was unable to pull the charging handle back.
I pulled both take down pins and pulle off the upper. I had to use an aluminum rod and hammer to knock out the BCG. The bolt was completely jammed. I removed the firing pin and cam pin and knocked out the bolt with a brass rod. Turns out one end of the front gas ring was pulled out of the groove.
This is a new Rubber City Titanium BCG. I inspected the bolt bore on the carrier and everything looked good.
What would cause this to happen?

#2 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted May. 23 2018 - 01:13 PM

I was testing my new light weight AR-15 build when after the eight shot it jammed and would not go into battery. Despite using all known methods I was unable to pull the charging handle back.
I pulled both take down pins and pulle off the upper. I had to use an aluminum rod and hammer to knock out the BCG. The bolt was completely jammed. I removed the firing pin and cam pin and knocked out the bolt with a brass rod. Turns out one end of the front gas ring was pulled out of the groove.
This is a new Rubber City Titanium BCG. I inspected the bolt bore on the carrier and everything looked good.
What would cause this to happen?

Faulty gas ring. Or, out of spec bolt or carrier. Your gas rings should give a fairly snug friction fit. Meaning, when you insert the bolt into the carrier, they should be snug enough to hold it in place fairly firmly, requiring you to pull on the bolt to get it back out. If it's a loose fit, they can be proud of the slot, and can get folded over. Check the diameter of your bolt, and the bore in the BCG too. If the bolt is too small, or the groove too shallow, it could force a gas ring up and out of the slot. 

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"

- Einstein

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

-Ernest Hemingway

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#3 ONLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 13,758

Posted May. 23 2018 - 01:33 PM

Titanium and steel together are prone to galling unless you lube the snot out of it. The gas rings are sliding on the titanium and due to their different molecular structure the surfaces bind on each other.

Signature:

I WILL NOT COMPLY!

This post approved by the NSA!

We are never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy......
Sight picture and trigger control, the 2 most important things I am teaching my son.
Criminals, if they retreat in the face of lethal force kill them for not even having the work ethic to do their chosen profession well.
So we are expected to believe that the same scientists that are 50% wrong on the weather of the Earth tomorrow are somehow able to predict a storm on a star 93 million miles away in 2 years.
Get real.

"Gitmo, you didn't close that!"

#4 OFFLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 3,430

Posted May. 23 2018 - 02:06 PM

Titanium and steel together are prone to galling unless you lube the snot out of it. The gas rings are sliding on the titanium and due to their different molecular structure the surfaces bind on each other.

Sorry, but nope.

In fact, metals need to be sufficiently dissimilar to resist galling. And titanium is more than enough tougher and different from tool steel to work together just fine.

Don't believe me? Just try to cut a piece of titanium with a file (hardened tool steel) and see what happens.

As an example, I offer the history of the original AMT Hardballer. The first ones used the same stainless alloy for the slides as the frame, and they had terrible galling issues.

The required difference doesn't have to equate to much, as long as one is harder than the other.

Signature:

I Will NOT Comply!

"You came here lookin' for a killin'. If you stick around there's going to be some. I don't know any plainer way to put it."

John Payne as Vince Bonner ~ Restless Gun

STx4pQP.gif

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal

So Suck It Up Buttercup!

Do you really think you can drop us all?                                                   

You're first, he's next...are you going to care what happens after that?

#5 ONLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 13,758

Posted May. 23 2018 - 02:33 PM

Stainless steel in some formulations are more likely to gall than others. Some are closer to bubble gum in how willing they are to stick to each other. It isn't the hardness of the metal that causes the issue but the molecular structure and titanium is very susceptible because of the structure. A file won't cut it because it is very hard but it will gall almost as bad as aluminum because they are similar in molecular structure. The hardness is only tangentially involved because hardened steel has a very different molecular structure which is very resistant to galling. 

Either way, without lube it will continue and likely get worse. 

Edited by MontanaLon, May. 23 2018 - 02:34 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   zoomy

zoomy

Posted May. 23 2018 - 06:10 PM

I took out the bolt and lubed it well. The bolt moved with slight resistance. The titanium is surface hardened using black nitride. It is a thermal chemical process that infuses nitrogen and carbon into the material.
I’m leaning towards a bad installation of the gas rings. I ordered a JP Enterprises bolt with the one piece gas ring.

#7 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Member ID: 24,285

Posted May. 25 2018 - 12:05 AM

Gas rings and extractor parts can break. I have had an extractor fail on an AR15 without completing 30 shots. Ordered a new spring with an o ring and it was working great. One test I use: remove the complete carrier from the rifle. With the bolt in its forward position, stand the carrier up on a hard surface. If it collapses under its own weight, the gas rings are probably shot. I also take the bolt in the closed position in my hand and snap it forward. The bolt should come out.

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#8 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Banned

• Member ID: 750

Posted May. 25 2018 - 12:21 AM

I've got a original AMT hardballer in the safe, has thousands of rounds thru it...and no galling.....

Sorry, but nope.

In fact, metals need to be sufficiently dissimilar to resist galling. And titanium is more than enough tougher and different from tool steel to work together just fine.

Don't believe me? Just try to cut a piece of titanium with a file (hardened tool steel) and see what happens.

As an example, I offer the history of the original AMT Hardballer. The first ones used the same stainless alloy for the slides as the frame, and they had terrible galling issues.

The required difference doesn't have to equate to much, as long as one is harder than the other.

#9 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

Posted May. 25 2018 - 12:42 AM

Lubriplate's 130-A Mil Spec Grease might have helped that

#10 OFFLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

• Member ID: 3,430

Posted May. 25 2018 - 12:54 AM

Rampy, on 25 May 2018 - 01:21 AM, said:

I've got a original AMT hardballer in the safe, has thousands of rounds thru it...and no galling.....

Not a low serial numbered one. The first ones were recalled because of the issue. A minor alloy change and they were fine.

I was a LGS at the time, and a friend and employee of mine bought one that had to go back.

#11 OFFLINE   zoomy

zoomy

Posted May. 25 2018 - 01:28 PM

Lubriplate's 130-A Mil Spec Grease might have helped that[/size]

I used the T25 grease.

#12 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

Posted May. 29 2018 - 01:21 AM

That's good too. I use the Lubriplate on my M1 garand

#13 OFFLINE   Winkel

Winkel

• Member ID: 22,782

Posted May. 31 2018 - 09:50 PM

I bought a BCG from Midway for my last build.  Admittedly, it wasn't the best quality.  It absolutely ate the first set of rings I had in it.  The second set is holding up fine.  I can only guess the chrome lining in the bolt carrier was rough and finally wore in.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center