22x6.8 question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hogginlong

hogginlong

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 32,332

Posted May. 23 2018 - 09:42 PM

I'm currently running a 22 NosGar and wondering what I'll do when my supply of Hagar brass runs out. Can 6.8 brass be sized down to 22 in one step or will it have to go to 6mm first? I see Starline is making 6.8 brass now.

#2 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted May. 25 2018 - 04:41 PM

I'm currently running a 22 NosGar and wondering what I'll do when my supply of Hagar brass runs out. Can 6.8 brass be sized down to 22 in one step or will it have to go to 6mm first? I see Starline is making 6.8 brass now.

You can't use 6.8 brass in the Nosler.

If you mean to run a 22X6.8 it is possible; to buy a die that goes straight to 22X6.8 form Redding. Be advised that it does not like NEW Federal. I did a few pieces of OLD SSA and it came out OK. Personally I will do it in two steps going to 6 MM with either my 6X6.8 Hornady or CH4D dies though Redding has a special order one available and then into the 22X6.8 Redding. 

I have been using bushings and may well continue using them BELOW the 6X6.8 sizing. I two step below 6MM when going to 22 as I want to work with neck tension to some extent..

Greg

BTW the NEW Starline 6.8 is EXCELLENT!! I just tried the new production and it is a far better case than the first run stuff.

• geepee3 likes this

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#3 OFFLINE   hogginlong

hogginlong

Posted Jun. 07 2018 - 08:02 PM

If the 6mm hagar is just the 6.8 necked to 6mm,why won't 6.8 brass work? Different shoulder angle?

#4 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jun. 07 2018 - 08:43 PM

If the 6mm hagar is just the 6.8 necked to 6mm,why won't 6.8 brass work? Different shoulder angle?

The 6 MM HAGAR is a longer case. It is the full length 30 Remington. 6.8 is only 43 MM Not long enough.

Hagar is 1.775. 6.8 is 1.667. The 22 Nosler is 1.760. That's why the thinking man will take the Hagar and make the Nosler out of it. Far superior case and longer life. You can make Valkyrie brass out of 6.8. Not ideal but doable. The new 24 Nosler case is virtually the same specs as the VALK. and with the rebated rim and shorter case of the VALK. it is woefully deficient in capacity and will get run over like it's standing still by a hot 6X45.

I've spent hours and hours looking at these and talking to industry people. Fascinating some of the back stories I've heard.

I don't have a VALK. yet but I'll get one to evaluate. I have little use for 90 grain 223 bullets and I hate the twist needs. It's definitely a niche case. 80 grains or less the 22X6.8 beats them all hands down. Also I haven't even delved into the LBC versions.

Greg

#5 OFFLINE   hogginlong

hogginlong

Posted Jun. 15 2018 - 04:46 PM

Not sure I agree with you about case life. After 2 loadings in the NosGAr the Hornady brass won't hold a primer or blows them out during firing. I can't get good consistent accuracy out of it either despite what I consider a high end build and quality reloads.

#6 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jun. 15 2018 - 04:56 PM

The Hornady brass will out do the Nosler stuff from what I've seen in my rifle. Accuracy wise with virtually same same loadings the NOSGAR was just a tad more accurate. I can say the Nosler I am shooting now is a shooter but it is a far cry from the STONER/BCA I started with.

We know not all rifles do the same thing with the same components. Accuracy being the biggy but even case  longevity comes into play. I believe tolerance stacking has some to do with it as does the actual loading method itself. More/less neck tension, more/less shoulder bump and primer choice all come into play. One man's mild is another man's hot as Hades load.  I'm pretty much top end with a back down from nuclear as I do value case life a great deal. I don't blink about barrel life but I admit I am in a unique position in that area.

Greg

PS: I'm still working to get Starline to make the NOSGAR brass. They've a lot of irons in the fire but my voice is still bugging them..lol

#7 OFFLINE   hogginlong

hogginlong

Posted Jun. 15 2018 - 07:43 PM

The Hornady  Hagar brass doesn't get beat up as bad on the head and rim and is better that way than the Nosler but if I can get 3 loadings out of them I'm lucky. I'm using it for groundhogs so the faster the better with the Sierra 65SGK. I would definitely give Starline a try!

#8 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jun. 15 2018 - 07:48 PM

The Hornady  Hagar brass doesn't get beat up as bad on the head and rim and is better that way than the Nosler but if I can get 3 loadings out of them I'm lucky. I'm using it for groundhogs so the faster the better with the Sierra 65SGK. I would definitely give Starline a try!

What's your load on them. Have you got the gas turned down?

Greg

#9 OFFLINE   hogginlong

hogginlong

Posted Jun. 16 2018 - 01:50 PM

I'm running 28.0 gs Varget. No AGB and have to run a 2.4 oz buffer or it won't cycle. Can't use any bullets under 45 gs either,not enough gas. I know it's under gassed but it's dropping brass with this load at 4 oclock at about 4 feet away. I can live with that.

#10 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jun. 16 2018 - 02:20 PM

I'll have to pull my notes. I've shot very little Varget. I won't even consider shooting one of the wildcats without an adjustable block.

Greg

I got home last PM so pulled my notes this morning. I haven't shot the VARGET in my 22 Nosler/NOSGAR. Looking at my case capacity I got out of my rifle the NOSGAR is about 1.5 less H20. Nosler says 29 with a 60-62 and 28 with a 69.  I'd say that 28 is warm and about the top  in the NOSGAR case based on that. I shoot very little of that powder and like RL 15 on those this size.

I run standard buffers/springs in every AR I have. The adjustable really seems to broaden the range of the usable powders provided your barrel port is big enough.

Greg

#11 OFFLINE   hogginlong

hogginlong

Posted Jul. 08 2018 - 07:19 PM

Gas port is .080 per BA. I guess when I run out of brass I'm gonna have to try a 6x6.8. I love the 6mm family.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center