To tighten, or not to tighten...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NewARBuilder87

NewARBuilder87

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 32,563

Posted Jun. 09 2018 - 04:20 PM

On my 2nd build now, I'm at the point of installing the handguard, as I'm trying to tune it to where the rail lines up, I get ever-so-close, but hit a wall. Now if I loosen it to where it lines up, it'll be under-torqued, but don't know if I should push it tighter so it'll line up. So I'm at an impass at what to do, open to suggestions. I'll attach a pic of how close it is at the wall.15b8e5ae07e5fbc66f7f9a618651dfcd.jpg

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

#2 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 22,192

Posted Jun. 09 2018 - 04:23 PM

Back the nut off once or twice and re-torque...it will get there. 

• bamashooter likes this

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

Died, buried, rotted, caved in, back filled, paved over, and forgotten.

#3 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 31,419

Posted Jun. 09 2018 - 07:02 PM

Definitely do something with the nut be it back and forth, a shim or two, etc. This could start a war but I'll ask; did you lube the threads on nut/ rcvr?

#4 ONLINE   MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA

• Group:E.S. Staff
  • Member ID: 22,055

Posted Jun. 10 2018 - 07:59 AM

Back the nut off once or twice and re-torque...it will get there. 

This, its very common to tighten it then back it off a d retighten it several times.

Signature:
If at first you don't succeed, then bomb disposal isn't for you.
Ignorance can be cured by knowledge, Stupid is Forever.
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no eyes or ears."

"On every unauthoritative exercise of power by the legislature must the people rise in rebellion or their silence be construed into a surrender of that power to them? If so, how many rebellions should we have had already?"

"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."

#5 ONLINE   ScoutnUSA

ScoutnUSA

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 31,399

Posted Jun. 10 2018 - 08:09 AM

I am offering an idea as well as asking a question here.

I could be wrong here, and if I am someone correct me.

If that nut is also the barrel nut and not just another nut.

BUT. Isn't the torque range of the nut fairly broad? Something like 20 - 80 ft lbs? Have you tightened to the 80 lbs yet?

Darrell

#6 OFFLINE   Blacktree

Blacktree

Snowflake Repellant

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 18,206

Posted Jun. 10 2018 - 12:19 PM

Yes, the barrel nut has a pretty broad torque range. But if for some reason you can't get within that range, you could try shims. Use the thinnest shim(s) needed to get the job done.

#7 OFFLINE   NewARBuilder87

NewARBuilder87

Posted Jun. 11 2018 - 08:16 PM

Lube, yes, haven't tried shims, they'd put the nut too far forward from the receiver, making the handguard have a space between itself and the upper. I have also tried the tighten, loosen, tighten, etc method and got so close it hurts, but still a little short. I'm gonna throw my idea out there, knowing I'm probably gonna get chewed a new one for it, but I've been thinking about getting out ye 'ol dremmel and shaving the barrel nut 1/16th. That'd solve my problem I'm sure, but want to know why I shouldn't. Thanks again y'all, always so helpful, I don't mind any advice or critiques y'all have for me, I learn every day

#8 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jun. 11 2018 - 08:19 PM

If your going to cut the barrel nut that will put it too close and your guard will hit the upper...also if you were to do it it needs to be lathed perfectly straight and not Dremmeled. 

#9 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jun. 11 2018 - 08:26 PM

My only suggestion is to lube it up with some white grease, and torque that bad boy on there. Again, back and forth with the nut if you need just a little more. The only thing I would try if that does not work is to have the receiver squared. They sell tools that you can buy that will square up the receiver and you can take a little or take a lot away depending on what you need. I would try that and take a little and try the nut again...rinse and repeat until it fits.  

#10 OFFLINE   NewARBuilder87

NewARBuilder87

Posted Jun. 18 2018 - 02:12 AM

At this point, I'm beyond torque range, it simply won't go any tighter, not without risk of cracking the receiver. I'm really almost out of ideas, disappointed I'm having such a time getting this rail installed. Now the last 2 pieces to the build, BCG and CH, will be here later today for the BCG, sometime tomorrow for the CH. If I could find a machinist with a lathe, I could take 1/16in off the barrel nut without any negative consequences, I hope? Thanks again everyone for your input, one day I'll get through a build without any issues... ONE DAY...

#11 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jun. 19 2018 - 11:13 AM

At this point, I'm beyond torque range, it simply won't go any tighter, not without risk of cracking the receiver. I'm really almost out of ideas, disappointed I'm having such a time getting this rail installed. Now the last 2 pieces to the build, BCG and CH, will be here later today for the BCG, sometime tomorrow for the CH. If I could find a machinist with a lathe, I could take 1/16in off the barrel nut without any negative consequences, I hope? Thanks again everyone for your input, one day I'll get through a build without any issues... ONE DAY...

You don't need that much material removed. I would try lapping the receiver as you only need approx. .003" of material removed. Think about your 1/16" number for a second.....if your hand guard hits the upper now what's it going to do after you cut that nut?  The receiver threads are 18 threads per inch.....you only need about 1/32 of a turn or 1/32 of an 18th inch. 

If squaring the receiver did not get it there I would buy a shim kit and shim it back to the next set of holes. The gap at the rail to upper will not be big enough to care about.

#12 OFFLINE   bj139

bj139

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 32,407

Posted Jun. 19 2018 - 04:01 PM

I have not seen mentioned elsewhere but I did this on my last barrel install and it worked more smoothly.

Put some grease on the front flange of the barrel extension where the barrel nut contacts and a little in the barrel nut where it contacts this flange as well as the threads on nut and receiver.

Then tighten and loosen repeatedly as others have suggested.

Edited by bj139, Jun. 19 2018 - 04:02 PM.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center