• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 04:18 AM

I know some guys have bought some, but I am wondering if anyone has bought a few,

and actually put them through their paces with a decent number of rounds, over a reasonable

period of time ? 

Are they as reliable as the factory mags ?  Any problems when they get some rounds

through them and have hit the ground a bunch with real-world type drop free to the ground

mag changes ?   No steel in the feed lips, correct ?

Will take all input but looking for hard use. Anyone running them as primary mags and letting them drop free

when training and has tested them after a long period stored loaded ?  

Looking for owners who have used them hard and put them up wet. (and fully loaded) 

Edited by Retcop, Jun. 13 2018 - 04:26 AM.

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#2 ONLINE   Steelborn1

Steelborn1

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 16,628

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 07:06 AM

John, my older brother was the rangemaster at the SO academy. He has ran nothing but magpul mags in his Glock 19 just to see if they'd hold up. I actually had this conversation with him about a month ago. He has been moved to patrol due to the brilliance of the new Travis county Sherrif. However, he said he trusts them just as much as the factory mags. Has ran thousands of rounds through them.

Signature:
I WILL NOT COMPLY!!!!
"Sittin' on 2000 horsepower of nitro injected war machine!"
"Pigs are just life support systems for bacon and BBQ!" Redbarron

#3 ONLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Crotchety Old Woman

• Member ID: 750

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 11:04 AM

I've got 15-20 of them give or take......some people I shoot with have way more.....

Did I mention I had a family member who worked at magpul and assemble them......along with P mags and other stuff......and know people who still work there.

I'm biased and will admit it....

They are better than the old factory Glock mags....

Look at Gen 5 mags, now compare them to Magpul mags.....

Note how Glock is now copying Magpul is design/development of Glock mags....

#4 ONLINE   Srgt. Hulka

Srgt. Hulka

Girl Scouts Cookie/Crack Pusher

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 25,426

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 11:49 AM

I've got 15-20 of them give or take......some people I shoot with have way more.....

Did I mention I had a family member who worked at magpul and assemble them......along with P mags and other stuff......and know people who still work there.

I'm biased and will admit it....

They are better than the old factory Glock mags....

Look at Gen 5 mags, now compare them to Magpul mags.....

Note how Glock is now copying Magpul is design/development of Glock mags....

Wait, what?! Sounds like a group buy opportunity. :segrin:
  • Steelborn1 and Retcop like this

Signature:

Lighten up Francis! "

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Benjamin FranklinA"

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. 

"We need to Kill Them.  We need to Kill them."  

Judge Jeanine Pirro on radical Muslim Terroists.

gallery_25426_262_200.jpg     

Bossiershreveportmudbuglogo.png

#5 ONLINE   smb5769

smb5769

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 12,498

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 11:54 AM

Wait, what?! Sounds like a group buy opportunity. :segrin:

Yep. Maybe a sponsorship and discount?
  • Steelborn1 likes this

Signature:
The liberties of our country, the freedoms of our civil Constitution are worth defending at all hazards; it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors. They purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood. It will bring a mark of everlasting infamy on the present generation enlightened as it is if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or to be cheated out of them by the artifices of designing men.
Samuel Adams

#6 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 04:43 PM

John, my older brother was the rangemaster at the SO academy. He has ran nothing but magpul mags in his Glock 19 just to see if they'd hold up. I actually had this conversation with him about a month ago. He has been moved to patrol due to the brilliance of the new Travis county Sherrif. However, he said he trusts them just as much as the factory mags. Has ran thousands of rounds through them.

Cool. Great info.

Tell your brother I said thanks, please.

John 

#7 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 04:45 PM

Oh Rampy....now you've done it.

Get to work, brother !     :segrin:

#8 ONLINE   geepee3

geepee3

• Member ID: 29,276

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 04:46 PM

I picked up a couple of Magpul Glock 19 magazines for my Polymer 80 build.

Those are the only two I will buy and they will be relegated to range only.

I was very disappointed with them. 

Pain in the tush to load. I get jams with them, feeding. 

Glock factory mags run like clockwork. 

So only Glock magazines for me.

The pistol is an 80% build, so take the advice as is.  

Thanks,

Glenn

• Retcop likes this

Signature:

Turning 5.56X45 mm brass into 6X45 mm brass one case at a time since April 2014.

6.8 SPC II, That's .270 Lite for those of us in the real world. 

M1A Socom 16; Its bark blows minds, its bite is even worst! 

30 Herrett AR; I know, 7.62X39 is cheaper... But I already had the 6.8 SPC brass and bolts.

8DjqgGE.png

#9 ONLINE   Srgt. Hulka

Srgt. Hulka

Girl Scouts Cookie/Crack Pusher

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 25,426

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 05:29 PM

Oh Rampy....now you've done it.

Get to work, brother !     :segrin:

:snicker:

#10 ONLINE   Jaeger48

Jaeger48

chances are I'm wrong

• Member ID: 21,618

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 05:41 PM

I know some guys have bought some, but I am wondering if anyone has bought a few,

and actually put them through their paces with a decent number of rounds, over a reasonable

period of time ? 

Are they as reliable as the factory mags ?  Any problems when they get some rounds

through them and have hit the ground a bunch with real-world type drop free to the ground

mag changes ?   No steel in the feed lips, correct ?

Will take all input but looking for hard use. Anyone running them as primary mags and letting them drop free

when training and has tested them after a long period stored loaded ?  

Looking for owners who have used them hard and put them up wet. (and fully loaded) 

I used them pretty hard for a while (say 2k rounds) mixed with Glock OEM mags and noticed no difference.  I don't doubt them in any way but the lack of a window is a little annoying. No issues dropping on the ground on gravel and dirt where I do most shooting. 

Now- if you're going to ask me if I had the choice to stake my life on them and stashing for TEOTWAKI I'd go with Pepper's advice and buy OEM mags.

#11 ONLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Crotchety Old Woman

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 06:35 PM

Let me get this straight..... :tap:

You picked up a plastic pistol frame that was 80% complete and finished the rest of the 20% yourself or had somebody do it for you.......

and tried 2 Magpul Glock 19 mags in it and they malfunction in the plastic 80% factor finished pistol...without even a slide or anything on it...just a plastic frame....

Any your blaming the magazines...... :hysterical3: :hysterical3: :hysterical3: :hysterical3: :hysterical3:

And the Magpul magazines are hard to load.... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Jam goes on toast, biscuits and such, not on a 80% plastic lower, but wait....if you used a high quality jam, that's the best thing that happened to the plastic 80% complete pistol.... :tiphat: :tiphat:

I picked up a couple of Magpul Glock 19 magazines for my Polymer 80 build.

Those are the only two I will buy and they will be relegated to range only.

I was very disappointed with them. 

Pain in the tush to load. I get jams with them, feeding. 

Glock factory mags run like clockwork. 

So only Glock magazines for me.

The pistol is an 80% build, so take the advice as is.  

Thanks,

Glenn

#12 ONLINE   geepee3

geepee3

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 08:47 PM

You picked up a plastic pistol frame that was 80% complete and finished the rest of the 20% yourself or had somebody do it for you.......

and tried 2 Magpul Glock 19 mags in it and they malfunction in the plastic 80% factor finished pistol...without even a slide or anything on it...just a plastic frame....

Any your blaming the magazines...... :hysterical3: :hysterical3: :hysterical3: :hysterical3: :hysterical3:

Jam goes on toast, biscuits and such, not on a 80% plastic lower, but wait....if you used a high quality jam, that's the best thing that happened to the plastic 80% complete pistol.... :tiphat: :tiphat:

Multiple factory Glock 19 magazines have run over 500 rounds without any malfunctions with both FMJ and HP in said pistol.

The two Magpul Glock 19 Magazines have had a malfunctions multiple times in the same pistol, using both FMJ and HP.

SO YES!!! There is something going on with the Magpul Glock 19 Magazines in my pistol. Live with it!!!

Thanks,

Glenn 

#13 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 10:46 PM

Rampy, HEEL !

When are you going to figure out you don't have to be a butt to make a point....?

Eh ?

Brother ? 

John

• Joel74 and geepee3 like this

#14 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 10:50 PM

Please ask your brother if he has not already to set aside a couple of loaded magazines 

for a year or so to see how they function after being stored loaded. 

I'll give him a big wet sloppy kiss.

#15 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 11:03 PM

Since OEM LE mags are cheap, and don't really go bad... I haven't seen the need for anything else. I've got a nice surplus of G19 magazines, and a couple of G17 magazines. If Magpul were to branch out and start making Sig magazines, I'd think about trying them, just due to the price point of Sig mags. 

Here's where I mount my soapbox. If, and it might be a big IF, they're just as good, you're saving what, $10 a magazine? At MSRP vs. MSRP? Like Jaeger said, I carry a gun to save my life or someone else's. I don't carry it because it's fun (it's not) or because it's convenient, (it's not) but in case I have to do the unthinkable, and shoot someone repeatedly to keep them from harming me or someone else. I am signing on to, in all probability, take a human life. That is the ONLY function of my Glock 19. Yeah, I practice with it, and I plink with it, but that's not why it exists. It exists to kill someone should the need arise. Millions of rounds have gone through factory Glock magazines. They're known for being dead nuts reliable, and feeding every time. It's Glock "Perfection". They just work. I have not personally had a malfunction that wasn't intentionally induced in a Glock in YEARS. Shooting all types of ammo, shooting in all types of conditions. They just work. Even if I save $10 per magazine, that's money well spent on peace of mind, knowing that the gun will work, and that there are literally millions (probably into the trillions) of rounds fired out of Glock magazines without a hiccup. 

I just had a day long class with 10 guys who are issued a rifle, but are too cheap to put their own light or optic on it. Four have their own light and optic. Why? They'd rather settle for whatever the agency issues, it's good enough. Given the option, they'd buy Magpul Glock magazines, and do so happily, thinking that "they're just as good, and I saved $5". Spend a few dollars to save your own hide. 

Now, I applaud innovation, and applaud Magpul for trying new stuff. However, other than a price point to go after, there's nothing that they can do that Glock can't. And when it's my ass on the line, I spent the money for stuff I KNOW will work. I will continue to do so, within reason. If Glock factory magazines double in price, I'd start considering a cheaper alternative. All I've read, I keep hearing, "They're just as good", and their real selling point is price. If a few bucks per magazine is gonna break you, then you have worse problems than the cost of a magazine or two. 

• Derk_digler24 likes this

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"

- Einstein

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

-Ernest Hemingway

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#16 ONLINE   geepee3

geepee3

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 11:16 PM

Rampy, HEEL !

When are you going to figure out you don't have to be a butt to make a point....?

Eh ?

Brother ? 

John

Actually he made no point at all, because for some reason he thought the magazines were being used in a incomplete pistol.

At least that is how I see what he posted.

Apparently I failed to mention the pistol was complete and had hundreds of rounds shot through it.

Thanks,

Glenn

#17 ONLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Crotchety Old Woman

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 01:00 AM

Sample of one in a home made pistol is statistically insignificant, margin for error in building that home made pistol is off the chart, it's a cobbled together pistol that nobody else in the world has...

I'm not being a butt, an ass or anything else....just saying that you have zero grounds to stand on blaming a magazine that work in factor built, factory spec handguns.

It's like if I was to say my LaRue AR15 hates Magpul mags as I've got a few that are nothing more than developmental test mags...they work in my DD and other AR's, but not in my LaRue, thus my LaRue hates Magpul magazines.....

Rampy, HEEL !

Eh ?

Brother ? 

John

#18 ONLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Crotchety Old Woman

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 01:10 AM

Daughter has 3-15 rd Magpul mags that she got as soon as they were released for public sale & they are fully loaded with 124gr Gold Dot ammo and have been carried by her and never shot.

I've got several that have been loaded with ball ammo for at least a year if not longer, have lost track of how long.....

I asked her to just shoot the ammo, put out a B27 target and then shoot each mag till slide lock for accuracy & any malfunctions with 2-3 seconds between each shot & she said she will let me know how it goes.

Please ask your brother if he has not already to set aside a couple of loaded magazines 

for a year or so to see how they function after being stored loaded. 

I'll give him a big wet sloppy kiss.

#19 ONLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Crotchety Old Woman

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 01:13 AM

Nothing personal here, but reading comprehension is paramount.

I stated:

and tried 2 Magpul Glock 19 mags in it and they malfunction in the plastic 80% factor finished pistol.

It's a 80 % finished plastic pistol, with after market slide and pieces parts, not even a factory slide/barrel.....but aftermarket.....

Actually he made no point at all, because for some reason he thought the magazines were being used in a incomplete pistol.

At least that is how I see what he posted.

Apparently I failed to mention the pistol was complete and had hundreds of rounds shot through it.

Thanks,

Glenn

#20 ONLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Crotchety Old Woman

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 01:24 AM

Problem is you hear "They're just as good" about almost everything even when we know 100% that is a bold face lie....We know Aimpoint makes the best optics and when somebody says his $110 import chinese/Korean optic is "just as good" we all know it's a lie......

You have said that about toy parts on your duty AR, I forget where from, but they made toy AR parts and they were "They're just as good" as the real deal according to you.

Why by a $30 dollar holster for a $600 pistol instead of spending $100 or more for a quality holster....and then say the $75 or more holster is to expensive and that the cheap holster is just as good.....

We know Magpul mags are as good as, not just as good as  but it does not matter....only thing that matters is are people feelings and to not hurt them :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Since OEM LE mags are cheap, and don't really go bad... I haven't seen the need for anything else. I've got a nice surplus of G19 magazines, and a couple of G17 magazines. If Magpul were to branch out and start making Sig magazines, I'd think about trying them, just due to the price point of Sig mags. 

Here's where I mount my soapbox. If, and it might be a big IF, they're just as good, you're saving what, $10 a magazine? At MSRP vs. MSRP? Like Jaeger said, I carry a gun to save my life or someone else's. I don't carry it because it's fun (it's not) or because it's convenient, (it's not) but in case I have to do the unthinkable, and shoot someone repeatedly to keep them from harming me or someone else. I am signing on to, in all probability, take a human life. That is the ONLY function of my Glock 19. Yeah, I practice with it, and I plink with it, but that's not why it exists. It exists to kill someone should the need arise. Millions of rounds have gone through factory Glock magazines. They're known for being dead nuts reliable, and feeding every time. It's Glock "Perfection". They just work. I have not personally had a malfunction that wasn't intentionally induced in a Glock in YEARS. Shooting all types of ammo, shooting in all types of conditions. They just work. Even if I save $10 per magazine, that's money well spent on peace of mind, knowing that the gun will work, and that there are literally millions (probably into the trillions) of rounds fired out of Glock magazines without a hiccup. 

I just had a day long class with 10 guys who are issued a rifle, but are too cheap to put their own light or optic on it. Four have their own light and optic. Why? They'd rather settle for whatever the agency issues, it's good enough. Given the option, they'd buy Magpul Glock magazines, and do so happily, thinking that "they're just as good, and I saved $5". Spend a few dollars to save your own hide. 

Now, I applaud innovation, and applaud Magpul for trying new stuff. However, other than a price point to go after, there's nothing that they can do that Glock can't. And when it's my ass on the line, I spent the money for stuff I KNOW will work. I will continue to do so, within reason. If Glock factory magazines double in price, I'd start considering a cheaper alternative. All I've read, I keep hearing, "They're just as good", and their real selling point is price. If a few bucks per magazine is gonna break you, then you have worse problems than the cost of a magazine or two. 

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center