6.8 SPC V .224 Val

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 30,977

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 06:05 PM

I was reading in American Rifleman that the Val is based on the 6.8 SPC cartridge and says the Val uses the 6.8 bolt and magazines. I recently scored a 6.8SPC rifle, mags and a bunch of ammo just because it was a good deal.  I kinda already have a 20" rifle in that slot, the Grendel.

So all I need to do is change the barrel to convert what I have to .224 Valkerie?  After I shoot up all the 6.8 ammo?  I am undecided, I may leave it alone.  Being bored, I am out of work on temp disability and idle hands are the BRDevil's workshop!  Lol.

I might like the 6.8 and keep it.

Signature:

"The only place you can find a politician with convictions is in prison"

#2 OFFLINE   xonlyj

xonlyj

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 32,298

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 08:37 PM

Scratch the itch I say! What I read the .224 stays s/sonic to 1300 yds, has considerably less drop and windage issues compared to the Grendel., The only thing it lacks is terminal energy due to lighter bullet. I shoot the 7.62 x 39 and the 6.5 Grendel type I so I can use the same bolt in either caliber. Break an extractor...swap out the spare BCG from the other upper and rock on! Just make sure not to mix ammo as I am sure you know. One other note, either round of mine feeds well from either mag. 7.62 in the Grendel mag or Grendel in the 7.62. Of course those are 10 round mags so any issue may not show till using dreaded hi-cap mags. 

The beauty of the AR is pop two pins and poof you have another gun!

Matt

Edited by xonlyj, Jun. 13 2018 - 08:38 PM.

Signature:

Don't cloud the issue with the facts...

#3 ONLINE   geepee3

geepee3

• Member ID: 29,276

Posted Jun. 13 2018 - 09:11 PM

I'm a big 6.8 SPC fan. So I say keep it as is.

In fact I'm getting another 6.8 ARP barrel from the 6.8 forum ARP group buy. 

That will be my third.

You O.K.? said you are on temporary disability.

Thanks,

Glenn 

Signature:

Turning 5.56X45 mm brass into 6X45 mm brass one case at a time since April 2014.

6.8 SPC II, That's .270 Lite for those of us in the real world. 

M1A Socom 16; Its bark blows minds, its bite is even worst! 

30 Herrett AR; I know, 7.62X39 is cheaper... But I already had the 6.8 SPC brass and bolts.

8DjqgGE.png

#4 OFFLINE   dfairclothrra

dfairclothrra

• Member ID: 12,185

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 07:57 AM

you will like the 6.8 i am willing to bet. just build a Val  upper  gives you something to do. hope  everything is ok and your temp disability is vry short term.

#5 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

Posted Jun. 15 2018 - 03:28 AM

I was taking a cast iron pan out of the oven and it slipped from my hand and glanced off the little toe on my right foot.  This produced a severe internal bleeder and that toe is as purple as a plum.  The problem is I cannot wear any shoe at all without severe pain.  Just about every hour I experience a sharp increase in throbbing pain the just about brings tears to my eyes.  Its like while my foot is fire, someone is trying to put it out with an ice pick.  Nothing has improved the condition, not ice packs, heat packs, elevation, or any OTC pain meds.  I am having trouble sleeping more than 2 hours at a time because the pain wakes me up.  Its mostly cat naps between pain attacks,

In two weeks the toe is still purple but now I can actually touch it without screaming.  If the throbbing ice pick attacks would cease and swelling would go down, I would try to wear a boot for a bit and see if can be tolerated.  I would feel safer taking two more weeks off but its driving me crazy.  I know the boss wants me back.  He is gonna have to wait me thinks.

• geepee3 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   dfairclothrra

dfairclothrra

• Member ID: 12,185

Posted Jun. 15 2018 - 07:16 AM

hopefully you have a speedy recovery and you get back to your normal self.

#7 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted Jun. 15 2018 - 09:52 AM

It's a good theory about the brass but you'll find that the case forming is not as straight forward as one would hope because of the case neck location.  You'll be in the thick area when you get down to the VALK size. You may well give up a tad of volume depending on the brass you use. It's volume is only marginally bigger than the 223 and unless you just want to shoot the heavy 90-95's you don't gain a whole bunch compared to a hot loaded 556. I tested the 22 Nosler that is faster than the VALK with light bullets and it just isn't worth the effort IMHO for some guys over the 556..

Dabbling like we all do it's all good but the arguments aren't overly strong for me to move away from a 22 Nosler done up with Hagar brass or my beloved 22X6.8 that stomps both of them in all three  aspects of versatility, pressure and velocity. 

I'll get one in the near future to test out because I can but I've been involved putting my pennies together to build a 20 Practical once Tactical Ordnance gets there tubes in in the near future. lol  One bit of advice DON'T get a 1:7 go full boat 6.5 twist if you want to shoot the heavies. Way too many reports of some accuracy issues with the factory ammo at this point with the 90's and the 95's coming out will make it worse IMHO.

Greg

• Flesh Wound and geepee3 like this

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#8 ONLINE   geepee3

geepee3

• Member ID: 29,276

Posted Jun. 15 2018 - 04:16 PM

I was taking a cast iron pan out of the oven and it slipped from my hand and glanced off the little toe on my right foot.  This produced a severe internal bleeder and that toe is as purple as a plum.  The problem is I cannot wear any shoe at all without severe pain.  Just about every hour I experience a sharp increase in throbbing pain the just about brings tears to my eyes.  Its like while my foot is fire, someone is trying to put it out with an ice pick.  Nothing has improved the condition, not ice packs, heat packs, elevation, or any OTC pain meds.  I am having trouble sleeping more than 2 hours at a time because the pain wakes me up.  Its mostly cat naps between pain attacks,

In two weeks the toe is still purple but now I can actually touch it without screaming.  If the throbbing ice pick attacks would cease and swelling would go down, I would try to wear a boot for a bit and see if can be tolerated.  I would feel safer taking two more weeks off but its driving me crazy.  I know the boss wants me back.  He is gonna have to wait me thinks.

Thanks for the update.

Hope your recovery progresses and your able to get a full nights sleep.

Will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

And getting back to the original post...

JLWqb0t.jpg

PDi7JLh.jpg?1

Did I mention I was a big fan of the 6.8 SPC?     :whistling:

Thanks,

Glenn

• dfairclothrra likes this

#9 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

Posted Jun. 16 2018 - 03:50 AM

Did I mention I was a big fan of the 6.8 SPC?     :whistling:

Thanks,

Glenn

No Glenn, Ive never noticed, lol.  Its great to have folks like you, Greg and others who will work with these cases and loads to find the "golden bullet".  Its amazing and almost alchemy to me as Ive never done any reloading much less resizing or selecting the perfect powder to the tenth.  You guys do all the work as a passion and the community reaps the benefits.  Thanks to you and all others who share what they come up with!

Thanks for all the thoughts on a quick recovery.  I know because I am older, wounds sometimes take longer but this one is beyond anything I have experienced.  I live with a bad back every day and pain levels from 6-8 but when this one kicks a spasm its a 12.  Getting better slowly.  I went for a follow up today and the Doc wants me to take another 7-10 days but he feels I should be able to return on or about the 26th.  I am going to see how much i can tolerate this week.  I talked with the boss today as well he has some work setting fixtures coming up.  At that point in the job I can wear a softer shoe or even take it off once I get set up.  Not exactly policy but as long as the job super is ok with it or never sees it, I am GTG.

• Flesh Wound and geepee3 like this

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center