• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dale Grice

Dale Grice

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 32,576

Posted Jun. 29 2018 - 12:56 PM

Hi all,

Wish I could search, but I am a newbie here. Have a mostly Palmetto State build AR .223 Wylde chamber. When new, no problems. After about a thousand rounds through, started having problems.

My latest problem is usually the last round, live, is chambered, or sitting halfway chambered with the bolt found locked back. This has also happened with a live round chambered and a second attempting to do so as well.

Tried different mags. Also used mags that did not have problems during the first thousand rounds. I added a muzzle brake. But shot a hundred rounds with no failures.

I did have problems with the BCG. This was before the muzzle brake add. Found one of the rings was out of the slot, bent over and worn. Replaced that. I had used brake cleaner to clean the BCG. Appears I hardened the extractor o-ring. Removed the o-ring and had no problems.

My thinking is that my current problem is with the BCG or maybe inertia was changed enough that the BCG isn't moving fast enough. So my question(s); Replace the BCG, or get a an upgraded buttstock spring. Or am I going down the wrong path?

Your thoughts and suggestions? (within reason :>) )

Thanks,

Dale

#2 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted Jun. 30 2018 - 12:11 PM

Factory ammo? I'd conside4putting a new extractor spring in the bolt to dtart. You certainly don't need any expensive parts at this point.

Get a chrome silicone spring.

Greg

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#3 OFFLINE   Dale Grice

Dale Grice

Posted Jun. 30 2018 - 01:13 PM

Factory Ammo. Lake City.

New extractor spring? But it is extracting. Live rounds are being chambered. Bolt isn't closing.

Dale

#4 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jun. 30 2018 - 09:28 PM

You said it has a live round in the chamber and trying to feed another one?

Does it lock back on single rounds?

Greg

#5 OFFLINE   Dale Grice

Dale Grice

Posted Jul. 01 2018 - 08:49 AM

Yes.

But it only locks back on the last round in the mag. But that last round is partially chambered.

#6 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jul. 01 2018 - 08:59 AM

What happens if you load one in a mag and fire it? Does it stay locked back on there bolt catch?

Greg

#7 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jul. 02 2018 - 03:27 PM

I've talked to some guys about this. Trouble shoot. try another full BCG, try another BCG with YOUR BOLT, try your BCG with someone else's bolt. We suspect that the folded over rings scored the inside of the BCG and is allowing the gas to go through hence the poor cycling. If that is the issue then a new carrier is needed.

I'd load two, shoot and see if it works and shoot the last round to make sure it locks back.

Greg

#8 OFFLINE   Dale Grice

Dale Grice

Posted Jul. 04 2018 - 01:30 PM

Took it to a range. removed the muzzle brake. Each try was with 3 rounds in the mag. Had one failure where the last round from the mag was a live round was partially chambered, bolt locked back. Put the muzzle brake on. Had one instance of the above. Had three instances where the round did not make it to the breech. Jammed round with the nose pointed down at about 30 degrees, back was against the bolt. Went through about 100 rounds.

Yesterday, took the bcg apart and found it a bit gummy. Also found a lot of carbon in the back of the bolt. Scraped that out.

Will take it to the range in the next few days and see what happens. On the lookout for another BCG. Missed the Palmetto sale for the nickel boron ones. :>(

#9 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 30,977

Posted Aug. 20 2018 - 11:33 AM

Check Aim Surplus for a NiB BCG at a good price.  Delta Team Tactical also sells Fail Zero's cheaper than most.  Quite a few companies now are selling Tool Craft BCG's at good prices as well.  All around $100ish. 

Signature:

"The only place you can find a politician with convictions is in prison"

#10 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 30,977

Posted Aug. 22 2018 - 01:12 PM

Just got an email from DTT for the NiB Fail Zero BCG and an ambi charge handle for $128.  The ambi is decent, a bit lightweight but I have a couple and no issues usually about $20 so the FZ BCG is $108 and thats a great deal. The BCG generally runs a bit lower than $120. I would grab the deal if I needed it or had another build in the close future.  Ive seen this bargain before so I am not worried about it right now.  Wish I was cuz Ballistic  Advantage has an SS 16" Premium barrel on sale for $156.  :drool5:

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center