Function over form.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 22,192

Posted Jun. 30 2018 - 02:18 PM

I am helping an officer put together two of his ar15's that he did not want to register as assault weapons. He disabled them both until he could find the time to put them together with legal parts. 

I got all the evil stuff off and all the legal stuff on the lower today. Now, I am a person that likes the look of things and don't want a sports car that looks like a Yugo. The officer handled and groped all the different configurations that are out there and he settled on the one below. He went with function. I see two camps when it comes to retrofitting the ar15 to make it legal in Ca. One camp is all about keeping it looking like an ar15 should. By keeping the look you lose function. You must split the upper from the lower to remove the magazine in all of those configurations making the gun impractical...but you keep the cool factor.

The second camp wants the function to be there first. Myself, I only have bench guns so I only changed one item that makes the gun ugly but it functions well for me. The officer wanted more function as he uses his guns on the fly. He chose the Thorsdon stock. Ugly a frikken sin and just aesthetically wrong as it could ever be........but.....it works and works well. Like mine he can use standard magazine releases. 

Now, this gun is legal and all the evil features are gone.......and guess what? It can spit more rounds out now than it ever could with the bullet button. I can use the old style rifle grip better than the pistol grip and with the standard magazine release I can be shooting and swapping magazines like a mad man. Absolutely the most idiotic rules on the planet.....because it looks different now it's safer for the public  :doh: even though it functions faster than before :goofy1: I don't know who is dumber....the gun grabbers that made these laws or everyone else for not slapping them silly.

hTpGHJg.jpgbSF7aSj.jpg

That is his lower and my upper.........even though I really like the function of that stock I just cannot bring myself to put them on my bench guns......if I had a KISS gun with irons for walking around with I would get one in a heartbeat and paint it pink just to make it the most ridiculous looking I could...maybe I can catch some bad guy off guard and get the drop on them that way.   

edit to add.....I have read the law and this style grip actually does not conform to the law as it's written. The law states that you cannot have a grip that allows the web of the thumb and first  finger to be gripped like a pistol anywhere below the top of the exposed trigger. This stock puts the center line of your grip at the top of the trigger.......hence you have half of your web below the top of the trigger. I have not seen any clarification that says a percentage of that grip can be below the top of the trigger.......the law is written very cut and dry and the approved grips are not.....I see an issue down the road with these. 

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

Died, buried, rotted, caved in, back filled, paved over, and forgotten.

#2 OFFLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 26,245

Posted Jun. 30 2018 - 02:21 PM

Ugly yes, But I see why he'd go that route.

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I believe in my God. My County. And Myself.

flag.jpg

I do not burn bridges.
I just loosen the bolts a bit every day.

Keep shooting until your target changes shape or catches fire.

#3 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jun. 30 2018 - 02:31 PM

Ugly yes, But I see why he'd go that route.

If I were a blind man and never  handled an AR15 before and you handed me a standard gun and then this one I would pick this one for ease of getting my finger on the trigger better and better grip angle in the wrist. 

#4 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Jun. 30 2018 - 03:10 PM

And the really sad thing? Unless he was in the room with you, in Oregon you'd have had to do a background check to transfer them to you, then another to transfer them back to him. If he's not physically present, it's considered a transfer in Oregon. 

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"

- Einstein

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

-Ernest Hemingway

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#5 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jun. 30 2018 - 03:16 PM

And the really sad thing? Unless he was in the room with you, in Oregon you'd have had to do a background check to transfer them to you, then another to transfer them back to him. If he's not physically present, it's considered a transfer in Oregon. 

Same here in California.........they got rid of the "loan to person you are familiar with"  and made it family with restrictions. The owner is on site during the time I have the gun. Stupid stupid stupid.

#6 OFFLINE   geepee3

geepee3

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 29,276

Posted Jun. 30 2018 - 04:09 PM

how about the Hera CQR stock?

This one has the thumb hole closed.

PPc5zGh.jpg

POGp6Sf.jpg

This would be my choice for function if it complies with California restrictions.

Thanks,

Glenn

Edited by geepee3, Jun. 30 2018 - 04:11 PM.

Signature:

Turning 5.56X45 mm brass into 6X45 mm brass one case at a time since April 2014.

6.8 SPC II, That's .270 Lite for those of us in the real world. 

M1A Socom 16; Its bark blows minds, its bite is even worst! 

30 Herrett AR; I know, 7.62X39 is cheaper... But I already had the 6.8 SPC brass and bolts.

8DjqgGE.png

#7 OFFLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

• Member ID: 3,430

Posted Jun. 30 2018 - 04:34 PM

While the Thorsdon is unconventional, it could grow on me. That Hera...not so much, as it looks horribly out of balance, like it should have wheels on the big end to drag it around like a piece of luggage.

I guess it's like what they said when the old lady kissed the cow....."It's all a matter of taste."

Signature:

I Will NOT Comply!

"You came here lookin' for a killin'. If you stick around there's going to be some. I don't know any plainer way to put it."

John Payne as Vint Bonner ~ Restless Gun

STx4pQP.gif

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal

So Suck It Up Buttercup!

Do you really think you can drop us all?                                                   

You're first, he's next...are you going to care what happens after that?

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"

~Thomas Jefferson~

#8 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jun. 30 2018 - 04:54 PM

how about the Hera CQR stock?

This one has the thumb hole closed.

PPc5zGh.jpg

POGp6Sf.jpg

This would be my choice for function if it complies with California restrictions.

Thanks,

Glenn

While the Thorsdon is unconventional, it could grow on me. That Hera...not so much, as it looks horribly out of balance, like it should have wheels on the big end to drag it around like a piece of luggage.

I guess it's like what they said when the old lady kissed the cow....."It's all a matter of taste."

It's all about where you want your thumb. The Thorsdon allows a standard rifle grip where the blade style leave your thumb on the same side as the rest of your hand....not bad for the bench but horrible for standing up and moving. 

#9 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jun. 30 2018 - 05:06 PM

This Thorsdon stock places your hand on the gun just like a regular rifle. It's very natural feeling and you can get the perfect trigger finger placement by simply moving your hand up and back on the grip unlike with a pistol grip where you have to twist the wrist to get the finger on the pad correctly. I have never been a fan of the AR pistol grip. I want the grip turned 45 degrees so my wrist is straight. This stock fixes that issue. I think I would try one of those other conversions that uses a different bolt carrier and a operating rod that goes into the stock.....like this one...http://www.thetrutha...cr-rifle-works/  I could get into this if it works well.

#10 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted Jun. 30 2018 - 06:40 PM

Same here in California.........they got rid of the "loan to person you are familiar with"  and made it family with restrictions. The owner is on site during the time I have the gun. Stupid stupid stupid.

Shows a wanton desire to kill the gunsmithing business...they attack from every direction.

That's about the dumbest gun control law I have ever heard of .

I know none of it is logical, but want is their logic with the gunsmiths ?

Is this just for so called assault weapons, or does it apply to other firearms also?  

I may have to have a stupid FOID card, but I have 30 round mags, no bizarre furniture, and shall issue CCW.

I can also drop my AR off at the gunsmith. 

I never thought I would look at other States and think Illinois was not so bad....

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#11 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Jun. 30 2018 - 07:33 PM

Shows a wanton desire to kill the gunsmithing business...they attack from every direction.

That's about the dumbest gun control law I have ever heard of .

I know none of it is logical, but want is their logic with the gunsmiths ?

Is this just for so called assault weapons, or does it apply to other firearms also?  

I may have to have a stupid FOID card, but I have 30 round mags, no bizarre furniture, and shall issue CCW.

I can also drop my AR off at the gunsmith. 

I never thought I would look at other States and think Illinois was not so bad....

All firearms in Oregon.

#12 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 31,419

Posted Jun. 30 2018 - 08:45 PM

I like the AR as is. Perfect placement of all parts imo. I reckon if a person chooses to live / stay in a commie zone, then they're also willing to makes those kinds of concessions.

Signature:

This is my last build.

#13 OFFLINE   Blacktree

Blacktree

Snowflake Repellant

• Member ID: 18,206

Posted Jul. 01 2018 - 05:37 AM

I agree with Bamashooter. Although, I do think the Hera CQR stock looks interesting. But I would remove the paddle thingy from the thumbhole.

(edit for spelling)

Edited by Blacktree, Jul. 01 2018 - 01:12 PM.

• geepee3 likes this

#14 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted Jul. 01 2018 - 11:20 AM

All firearms in Oregon.

Now I understand why you are looking at Arizona.

#15 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jul. 01 2018 - 11:25 AM

I agree with Bamashooter. Although, I do think the Hera HQR stock looks interesting. But I would remove the paddle thingy from the thumbhole.

That paddle thingy is what makes it legal. 

#16 OFFLINE   geepee3

geepee3

Posted Jul. 01 2018 - 11:34 AM

Although, I do think the Hera HQR stock looks interesting. But I would remove the paddle thingy from the thumbhole.

You can buy the Hera HQR stock without the California compliant aluminum plate that make it featureless if you live in a Free State.

Hera CQR design engineers were smart enough to make the stock to be used either way.

Thanks,

Glenn

#17 OFFLINE   Blacktree

Blacktree

Snowflake Repellant

Posted Jul. 01 2018 - 01:08 PM

You can buy the Hera HQR stock without the California compliant aluminum plate that make it featureless if you live in a Free State.

Hera CQR design engineers were smart enough to make the stock to be used either way.

Thanks,

Glenn

That makes sense. Maybe one of these days I'll build a "Sci Fi DMR" style rifle using one. :cool:

• geepee3 likes this

#18 OFFLINE   geepee3

geepee3

Posted Jul. 01 2018 - 01:34 PM

That makes sense. Maybe one of these days I'll build a "Sci Fi DMR" style rifle using one. :cool:

If you do, don't forget they make a matching foregrip.

You can end up with something that looks like this...

3xMPWHm.jpg

A little to much for me, but you never know...   :D:

Thanks,

Glenn

Edited by geepee3, Jul. 01 2018 - 01:34 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   Blacktree

Blacktree

Snowflake Repellant

Posted Jul. 02 2018 - 08:09 AM

Not my cup o' tea, either. But I imagine that will float somebody's boat. :segrin:

• geepee3 likes this

#20 OFFLINE   Joel74

Joel74

You got one shot left in that shooter. Make the most of it.

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 28,391

Posted Jul. 02 2018 - 10:30 AM

If you do, don't forget they make a matching foregrip.

You can end up with something that looks like this...

3xMPWHm.jpg

A little to much for me, but you never know...   :D:

Thanks,

Glenn

SBR and Suppressor and Hollyweird would be all over it.  :drool5:   :ROFLLMAO:

An all white version?

Edited by Joel74, Jul. 02 2018 - 10:30 AM.

• geepee3 likes this

Signature:

I will not comply.
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."- Thomas Jefferson
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

7aKLqtJ.jpg

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center