Flitz It He Said (Oh My)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 31,419

Posted Jul. 20 2018 - 09:11 PM

Goodness. I enjoyed it however removing the residual caught be a bit off guard. I was going to do 10 sessions of about 1 minute per. I wanted to use the sunlight for removing any left over Flitz and a cursory cleaning of barrel. After 6 sessions I noticed not all that much sun was going to be left. Stopped at six. I ended up using two .38 / 9mm mops as my applicator. Worked great with the drill. Well, it seemed to. I don't really know now do I. 

Took some CLP outdoors and gave a good spray. It may have removed a little (lugs area) but pretty much worthless. Hit it with a chamber brush and not much happening. Brought out a can of non-aerosol brake cleaner. Much better. Clean it well in about  1 1/2 hours or so. Pretty hot out there and pizza almost burned in the oven. Perhaps 2 hours total. Sprayed CLP well from lugs to muzzle to get a little lube on the metal and ran a few patches to make sure it was all wet. Never been a fan of CLP other than for a minor cleaning and a temporary lube.

Now all I have left to do is a follow up barrel cleaning, light lubing, wipe down, etc.

Go fire a few rounds in the morning and see where we stand. If no progress at all, screw it. BTW, that guy I referenced with the same looking brass (but he was also having malfunctions heard from Faxon and sent his 2 new barrels in. Faxon did tell him that one possibility was residual salts in his chambers. I guess I can see that be a cause of a rough surface.

Severe weather moving in a bit later thus the "rush" to knock this out best I could this evening. Glad I didn't wait til tomorrow. Time to go finish up.

Just wanted ya'll to have a good laugh with me. Seriously, I thought in less than 45 minutes the entire process would be over. Ha! Check out the pic.

F5sSm8I.jpg

• Bentwrench likes this

Signature:

This is my last build.

#2 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jul. 21 2018 - 07:31 AM

Worked well. For a detailed forensic study of the extracted brass and a view of the supporting award winning photographs, see http://ar15armory.co...e-report/page-2

#3 OFFLINE   ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 31,802

Posted Jul. 21 2018 - 09:21 AM

I have to admit I recently unboxed a new ARP12.5 and just halfway cleaned the barrel and started shooting and cases looked rough , last time I shot it its a good thing I hit the ground hog 1 st shot because it failed to eject . After a light mortar against my leg I found the brass to be pretty rough . I cleaned it with a brush and j B but never thought about Fritz .I'm about to run a velocity comparison with 12.5 -16-and 18"ARP with 10 different factory loads so I will know soon if it's going to mess up again .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

#4 OFFLINE   ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs

Posted Jul. 21 2018 - 09:23 AM

I have to admit I recently unboxed a new ARP12.5 and just halfway cleaned the barrel and started shooting and cases looked rough , last time I shot it its a good thing I hit the ground hog 1 st shot because it failed to eject . After a light mortar against my leg I found the brass to be pretty rough . I cleaned it with a brush and Hoppes but never thought about Fritz .I'm about to run a velocity comparison with 12.5 -16-and 18"ARP with 10 different factory loads so I will know soon if it's going to mess up again .

#5 OFFLINE   ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs

Posted Jul. 21 2018 - 09:39 AM

Sorry about the clutter ,I have recently been having trouble editing my screw ups and it gets confusing . Used to holding on a post put a tool symbol up but now it doesn't and when I finally do find an edit it reposts . I'm going to a 7 year olds birthday party today I'm sure one of those 2 and graders can get me lined out on how to use my phone.

#6 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jul. 21 2018 - 06:56 PM

Sorry about the clutter ,I have recently been having trouble editing my screw ups and it gets confusing . Used to holding on a post put a tool symbol up but now it doesn't and when I finally do find an edit it reposts . I'm going to a 7 year olds birthday party today I'm sure one of those 2 and graders can get me lined out on how to use my phone.

Based on this thread you should fit right in.  :snicker:

Kidding of course. Yeah, that chamber cleaning was about as easy as it gets. I really loaded the mop w/ Flitz each session because I had no idea how heat / friction was going to impact the chamber, quickly use up the Flitz, etc. Likely went way overboard.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center