Goodness. I enjoyed it however removing the residual caught be a bit off guard. I was going to do 10 sessions of about 1 minute per. I wanted to use the sunlight for removing any left over Flitz and a cursory cleaning of barrel. After 6 sessions I noticed not all that much sun was going to be left. Stopped at six. I ended up using two .38 / 9mm mops as my applicator. Worked great with the drill. Well, it seemed to. I don't really know now do I.
Took some CLP outdoors and gave a good spray. It may have removed a little (lugs area) but pretty much worthless. Hit it with a chamber brush and not much happening. Brought out a can of non-aerosol brake cleaner. Much better. Clean it well in about 1 1/2 hours or so. Pretty hot out there and pizza almost burned in the oven. Perhaps 2 hours total. Sprayed CLP well from lugs to muzzle to get a little lube on the metal and ran a few patches to make sure it was all wet. Never been a fan of CLP other than for a minor cleaning and a temporary lube.
Now all I have left to do is a follow up barrel cleaning, light lubing, wipe down, etc.
Go fire a few rounds in the morning and see where we stand. If no progress at all, screw it. BTW, that guy I referenced with the same looking brass (but he was also having malfunctions heard from Faxon and sent his 2 new barrels in. Faxon did tell him that one possibility was residual salts in his chambers. I guess I can see that be a cause of a rough surface.
Severe weather moving in a bit later thus the "rush" to knock this out best I could this evening. Glad I didn't wait til tomorrow. Time to go finish up.
Just wanted ya'll to have a good laugh with me. Seriously, I thought in less than 45 minutes the entire process would be over. Ha! Check out the pic.