AR15Armory Announcements

Photo

Which brand of factory Sierra Match Kings 77 gr?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ihasagun

ihasagun

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 28,851

Posted Jul. 27 2018 - 06:52 PM

I've been away from shooting the past year and more due to multiple back and neck surgeries. I've mothballed my bolt action target rifles because I can no longer tolerate the recoil. Today, I purchased a Lone Star Armory TX15 Designated Marksman Light Enhanced, which is basically .223 Wylde, except it is called .223 KWC because it has a shorter throat to optimize it for 69-77 grain projectiles. Suffice it to say, it should be able to fire 5.56 in addition to .223.

I may reload when I retire, but for now I have more money than time, so I need to stick with factory loads at this time. I purchased 100 rounds of Black Hills brand Sierra Match Kings and also 100 rounds of Magtech Sierra Match Kings, both 5.56 in 77 grain. I think both of these are fairly available in quantity, and the Magtech seems to be the most economical I've found at 70 cents/round, while the Black Hills is not a whole lot more at 1.05/round. But the tightest group wins. Are there any other brands of factory ammo that meet these specs and are readily available that are likely to rise head and shoulders above these in accuracy, or provide similar accuracy at lower cost? Any reason to consider other projectile weights? Thanks for all advice.

#2 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted Jul. 27 2018 - 07:09 PM

Federal Gold Medal Match is usually considered the Gold Standard that guys shoot against in this one. Price won't be less but consistency will be far better than the MagTech stuff IMHO.

Greg

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#3 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 17,756

Posted Jul. 27 2018 - 07:22 PM

Price is right, and it gets pretty good reviews.

https://www.sgammo.c...mo-made-israe-0

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#4 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jul. 27 2018 - 07:29 PM

I've always found IMI ammo to be top shelf.

Greg

#5 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Jul. 27 2018 - 07:33 PM

I've always found IMI ammo to be top shelf.

Greg

Hopefully he's not short.

#6 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jul. 27 2018 - 07:43 PM

That's why we shoot ladders.

Greg

#7 OFFLINE   meh77gmc

meh77gmc

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 7,821

Posted Jul. 27 2018 - 07:55 PM

Waka waka waka!

#8 OFFLINE   ihasagun

ihasagun

Posted Jul. 27 2018 - 09:28 PM

Price is right, and it gets pretty good reviews.
https://www.sgammo.c...mo-made-israe-0

These are not Sierra Match Kings, but of a kind?

#9 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Jul. 28 2018 - 12:31 AM

These are not Sierra Match Kings, but of a kind?

The description says they are 77gr Sierra match

#10 ONLINE   hzhardy

hzhardy

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 26,113

Posted Jul. 28 2018 - 01:38 AM

Federal Gold Medal Match is usually considered the Gold Standard that guys shoot against in this one. Price won't be less but consistency will be far better than the MagTech stuff IMHO.

Greg

that is what i shoot to test my customers custom builds when possible

Signature:
Ill have those n*****s voting Democratic for the next 200 years. Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One -

#11 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

• Group:G.D. Staff
  • Member ID: 6,696

Contributor

Posted Jul. 28 2018 - 04:45 AM

I would not limit yourself to Sierra.  They are kind of the benchmark to beat but there are others out there that, depending on the reason, are better.  I shoot Nosler Custom Comp and Hornady BTHP and ELD.  I find the MV with the exact same load is faster from Nosler, and Hornady.  Of course your milage may vary.

Signature:
Posted Image

DUSTOFF IS “REQUEST PRESENT POSITION DEPARTURE FOR URGENT 9-LINE”

If I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me! -- Francois De La Rochefoucauld

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Steelborn1

Steelborn1

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 16,628

Posted Jul. 28 2018 - 05:19 AM

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Signature:
I WILL NOT COMPLY!!!!
"Sittin' on 2000 horsepower of nitro injected war machine!"
"Pigs are just life support systems for bacon and BBQ!" Redbarron

#13 OFFLINE   TackleberryMCS

TackleberryMCS

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 30,474

Posted Jul. 28 2018 - 07:32 AM

Personally, I have some of the IMI ammo. Silver State Armory also has some good 5.56mm 77 gr OTM MK 262 Clone ammo. If you can afford it, Black Hills .223 77 gr. Sierra Matchking HP ammo is fantastic stuff as well as their Black Hills 5.56mm 77gr OTM MK262 Ammo.

Signature:
"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector since 2004
Oath Keeper member
III% United Patriots member

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   ihasagun

ihasagun

Posted Jul. 28 2018 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the help. I sighted in my rifle with cheap ammo today, then switched to the black hills ammo and finally shot out to 300. I ran out of steam before I got a chance to try the Magtech. I was pleased with my progress today, but the temp was over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and I just didn't have it in me to do yet another 300 yard walk and back.

I was surprised at the flat trajectory. I had looked at some ballistics tables and so I expected more drop. The range I use has us firing at a somewhat downward angle though, and with the heat making my rounds hot before they even went in the magazine, maybe it makes sense. Does that explain it, or would it work the other way?

I'll keep your advice in mind moving forward, but realistically, I think all of these brands will likely outshoot me until I get more practice in. Thanks again.

Edited by ihasagun, Jul. 28 2018 - 06:17 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

• Group:G.D. Staff
  • Member ID: 6,696

Contributor

Posted Jul. 29 2018 - 02:31 AM

Yes, depending on the powder the manufacture uses as the round and chamber heat up it will increase MV.  Also the warmer the air, the less dense it is and less resistance the bullet flying through it.  

Here is a little article on the temp and its effect on the speed of sound.  

https://www.nde-ed.o...empandspeed.htm

While the 556 doesn't go transonic for several hundred yards, the actual temperature, pressure, and humidity also plays a part in where it will actually go trans and subsonic.  I did the math one day just messing around and if you could get to Leadville airport on a 100 degree day with the right ammo and MV you could push a 308 supersonic almost a mile.  To compare at sea level on a cool day it might only be 900-1000 yards.

Now the real trick going on is the ballistic coefficient of the bullet, or how efficiently it flies through the air.  SMKs regardless of the caliber are known for good BCs.  If you look at the 556 tipped Match Kings and do a little math, with the right reload you can push that little pill out pretty close to 1K.  

#16 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Jul. 29 2018 - 10:00 PM

Yes, depending on the powder the manufacture uses as the round and chamber heat up it will increase MV.  Also the warmer the air, the less dense it is and less resistance the bullet flying through it.  

Here is a little article on the temp and its effect on the speed of sound.  

https://www.nde-ed.o...empandspeed.htm

While the 556 doesn't go transonic for several hundred yards, the actual temperature, pressure, and humidity also plays a part in where it will actually go trans and subsonic.  I did the math one day just messing around and if you could get to Leadville airport on a 100 degree day with the right ammo and MV you could push a 308 supersonic almost a mile.  To compare at sea level on a cool day it might only be 900-1000 yards.

Now the real trick going on is the ballistic coefficient of the bullet, or how efficiently it flies through the air.  SMKs regardless of the caliber are known for good BCs.  If you look at the 556 tipped Match Kings and do a little math, with the right reload you can push that little pill out pretty close to 1K.  

Was shooting the tipped 77gr SMKs out to 1,000 yds and ringing steel with the savage .223 bolt action earlier this year with a buddy over in Bend Oregon. I believe the elevation was around 3,000 or so.

#17 OFFLINE   ihasagun

ihasagun

Posted Aug. 09 2018 - 08:10 PM

I've been warned about less consistency with the Magtech brand. I finally got a chance to try my Magtechs and it seemed about 1 in 5 was a flyaway. Is that too many to be due to inconsistency? The conditions were gusty cross tailwind, but some of the flyaways were in the wrong direction for it to be just wind, I think.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center