1st 300BLK Build

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NewARBuilder87

NewARBuilder87

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 32,563

Posted Jul. 28 2018 - 12:15 AM

As y'all may know, I'm not too new to the forums, I'm the one always seeming to have issues that I never have time to solve, LoL. But with my 1st and 2nd AR 5.56 builds complete, full function has yet to be reached, I've been dying to find out all the hype to the 300BLK is all about, so I decided to build one. With a lower I had no intention of buying, but wouldn't pass up for $16.50 + S&H, was perfect place to start. With my Anderson lower and Anderson LPK, I got a stripped upper and put that together. On to the barrel, I found a killer deal on an ODIN Works 10.5in barrel, so made it that far, now, the handguard.

1. Can I use the same type if handguard on a 300BLK AR as a 5.56/.233? I've decided on the Midwest Industries M-Series one piece free float L-LOK, and wanted to know if it would fit. If anyone knows or has any insight in the handguard situation, LMK please, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. I already found out that any standard 5.56/.223 BCG will also shoot 300BLK, being they're based off the same casing, but due to its lower pressure than the 5.56 round, should I maybe go for a lightweight BCG, or would a regular BCG be alright? Or if someone knows something I should on the subject, I'd be grateful if they shared said knowledge.

Other info that'd probably help y'all help me, is I won't be using a suppressor, at least not for a long time to come, and I'm sure when I fill out my for and pay all that cash up front, I'll build an AR specifically for shooting suppressed, but until then, anything anyone thinks would be useful advice, I'd be more than glad to hear it. Thanks again everyone for all your help and advice, IDK what I'd do if I hadn't found this forum...

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

#2 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 3,430

Posted Jul. 28 2018 - 06:51 AM

Short answers:

1) Yes, it will fit.

2) Regular BCG works fine.

3) A sound forwarding type of muzzle device will make it more pleasant to shoot for you and those around you unsuppressed.

Signature:

I Will NOT Comply!

"You came here lookin' for a killin'. If you stick around there's going to be some. I don't know any plainer way to put it."

John Payne as Vint Bonner ~ Restless Gun

STx4pQP.gif

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal

So Suck It Up Buttercup!

Do you really think you can drop us all?                                                   

You're first, he's next...are you going to care what happens after that?

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"

~Thomas Jefferson~

#3 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted Jul. 28 2018 - 04:40 PM

You don't plan on shooting this as a rifle do you? That short barrel will need a permanently attached muzzle device or you will have to build this up as a pistol if you don't go the $200.00 tax stamp for an SBR.

Greg

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#4 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 3,430

Posted Jul. 28 2018 - 04:57 PM

You don't plan on shooting this as a rifle do you? That short barrel will need a permanently attached muzzle device or you will have to build this up as a pistol.if you don't go the $200.00 tax stamp for an SBR.

Greg

Good point. :thumb:  In fact, it's going to have to be a long device pinned or welded on to turn a 10½" barrel into a legal carbine that wouldn't require a stamp.

I guess I just assumed that it would be a pistol.....shame on me since it wasn't stated in the OP.

#5 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted Jul. 28 2018 - 05:17 PM

The Devil is in the Details.

Greg

I don't want this young man meeting up with my associates in prison.. :bignono:

#6 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted Jul. 28 2018 - 06:09 PM

I will rest easier when the OP responds that he understands the pistol/SBR issue. 

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#7 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 31,419

Posted Jul. 28 2018 - 08:20 PM

As y'all may know, I'm not too new to the forums

11 May 2018 is squeaky new imo.

, I'm the one always seeming to have issues that I never have time to solve, LoL. But with my 1st and 2nd AR 5.56 builds complete, full function has yet to be reached,

What the hell does that mean?

I've been dying to find out all the hype to the 300BLK is all about, so I decided to build one. With a lower I had no intention of buying, but wouldn't pass up for $16.50 + S&H, was perfect place to start. With my Anderson lower and Anderson LPK, I got a stripped upper and put that together. On to the barrel, I found a killer deal on an ODIN Works 10.5in barrel, so made it that far, now, the handguard.

1. Can I use the same type if handguard on a 300BLK AR as a 5.56/.233?

You're kidding, right?

I've decided on the Midwest Industries M-Series one piece free float L-LOK, and wanted to know if it would fit. If anyone knows or has any insight in the handguard situation, LMK please, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. I already found out that any standard 5.56/.223 BCG will also shoot 300BLK, being they're based off the same casing, but due to its lower pressure than the 5.56 round, should I maybe go for a lightweight BCG, or would a regular BCG be alright? Or if someone knows something I should on the subject, I'd be grateful if they shared said knowledge.

Other info that'd probably help y'all help me, is I won't be using a suppressor, at least not for a long time to come, and I'm sure when I fill out my for and pay all that cash up front, I'll build an AR specifically for shooting suppressed, but until then, anything anyone thinks would be useful advice, I'd be more than glad to hear it. Thanks again everyone for all your help and advice, IDK what I'd do if I hadn't found this forum...

Be phishing another hole?

Edited by bamashooter, Jul. 28 2018 - 10:43 PM.

Signature:

This is my last build.

#8 OFFLINE   NewARBuilder87

NewARBuilder87

Posted Jul. 28 2018 - 09:13 PM

Since when was there any such thing as a stupid question? Of course, there are, but I asked the question about the handguard in sincerity, and you have the audacity to mock? What makes you so much better than everyone that instead of constructive criticism, or heaven forbid some honest, thought-out advice, you take the time to massage a book mocking? If you don't want to give me friendly advice, why did you even respond here? Find another forum or chat where adults go to talk like school children bullying the fat kid...

And that's when I joined the forums so I could ask, respond, and interact, instead of just troll. I've been reading this forum for almost 8 months, so I don't feel so new, though my membership is.

As y'all may know, I'm not too new to the forums
11 May 2018 is squeaky new imo.
, I'm the one always seeming to have issues that I never have time to solve, LoL. But with my 1st and 2nd AR 5.56 builds complete, full function has yet to be reached,
What the hell does that mean?
I've been dying to find out all the hype to the 300BLK is all about, so I decided to build one. With a lower I had no intention of buying, but wouldn't pass up for $16.50 + S&H, was perfect place to start. With my Anderson lower and Anderson LPK, I got a stripped upper and put that together. On to the barrel, I found a killer deal on an ODIN Works 10.5in barrel, so made it that far, now, the handguard.

1. Can I use the same type if handguard on a 300BLK AR as a 5.56/.233?
You're kidding, right?
I've decided on the Midwest Industries M-Series one piece free float L-LOK, and wanted to know if it would fit. If anyone knows or has any insight in the handguard situation, LMK please, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Be phishing another hole?

As for everyone else, thank you for the concern, I'm fully aware of the legality and definitions of the different set-ups. My apologies for not stating said info, but there are some things that I wouldn't think I'd have to spell out. If you're trolling here half as much as i do, you'd of seen my thread on my first AR build, a 10.5in 5.56 But thanks everyone for the concern, and Longhair for the help. I'll update when I make some more progress on the build. If you're REALLY in a helping mood, I have a troubleshooting thread I could sure use help on. I'll post the link. This thread can be archived.

https://r.tapatalk.c...94&share_type=t

AR Pistol Build Troubleshoot, Need Help

Edited by NewARBuilder87, Jul. 28 2018 - 09:15 PM.

#9 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Member ID: 24,285

Posted Jul. 28 2018 - 10:01 PM

AS said with a 10.5" barrel you better build it as a pistol or hold off on an SBR till your approved tax stamp comes back. If it was me I would slap a pistol buffer tube on it till the SBR paperwork comes back as to make sure there are no misunderstandings with law enforcement officials. No trolling intended.

Edited by gshayd, Jul. 28 2018 - 10:02 PM.

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#10 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jul. 28 2018 - 10:10 PM

Goodness. Oh my.  :snicker:

Edited by bamashooter, Jul. 28 2018 - 10:13 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   NewARBuilder87

NewARBuilder87

Posted Jul. 29 2018 - 08:05 PM

Thanks again for not reading my post, it's clear y'all don't have the intention of helping me. If you DID read, like all posts are intended to be, you'd of learned that I appreciate your concern, but before getting in to the platform, I familiarized myself with the legalities. Just because I'm not running 1,000's of rounds through a dozen setups, doesn't mean I'm a fool who would just willy-nilly put together one of the most controversial and debated set up the AR offers. No one with half an ounce of sense would even plan building any type of firearm without researching the most important part before all other parts, can you even legally own one where you live?

Once again, thanks for the concern, but if I asked about spending $200 just to legally run a stock on my build instead of a brace. I'll make due. If you have any real answers, suggestions, or insight to the questions I opened this thread for, they are welcome.

Lets try to stay on topic, if you want to rant about something else, find another thread that associates with what's really on your mind...

http://ar15armory.co...hoot-need-help/

Edited by NewARBuilder87, Jul. 29 2018 - 08:05 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jul. 29 2018 - 08:47 PM

Folks want to help. Are you asking for help regarding the linked-to thread? I take it this thread that I'm typing in now is to only discuss your build and the other is the problematic one?

Nothing personal because I really don't care. Words such as "Thanks again for not reading my post, it's clear y'all don't have the intention of helping me." these and others aren't exactly gonna make folks stop what their doing and come to your assistance.

#13 OFFLINE   NewARBuilder87

NewARBuilder87

Posted Jul. 30 2018 - 02:45 AM

The thread is where real help could be used, this only applies to a current, not yet troublesome, build.

That's fine, because if they're going through the trouble of responding in the first place, and aren't reading the previously posted threads, then that reply couldn't be very helpful to begin with, and is just clutter and changes subject matter in the thread.

Those that are here and want to lend a hand, will, and I would think would agree with what I'm saying. Its no fun for me either, but if you're only going to criticize when you aren't up to date with the matter, and touch on a completely unrelated topic.

I guess the sarcasm would indicate though the MI handguard should work just fine. Any thoughts on using a lightweight BCG for 300BLK?

Edited by NewARBuilder87, Jul. 30 2018 - 02:47 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jul. 30 2018 - 06:12 AM

That handguard will work. I would with a full weight bcg unless you're setting this up for a specific purpose such as competition shooting. And you don't want lightweight if you have a bit of over-gassing.

#15 ONLINE   alwyschmbrd

alwyschmbrd

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 31,330

Posted Aug. 01 2018 - 12:56 AM

:tiphat: Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Signature:

"Be Safe"

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center