AR15Armory Announcements

Photo

Smaller Diameter Rear Sight Aperture (Peep) Swap?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 31,419

Posted Sep. 03 2018 - 12:48 PM

Anyone swapped to a smaller diameter "peep" on the rear due to having a shorter (16" and less) barrel (sight radius)? Or for any other reason I reckon? Results? My primary concern is reacquisition of a target or engaging multiple targets. Thanks.

Signature:

This is my last build.

#2 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted Sep. 03 2018 - 12:55 PM

I like them big. you eye naturally centers the front post in the rear aperture.

On my old .308, I used to unscrew the aperture and use the fitting os the ghost ring. 

Of course for me they are for social work, not trying to get really good groups.

That rear flip up sight on sale at Brownells had an aperture size in between large and small FWIW.

• Flesh Wound and geepee3 like this

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#3 ONLINE   geepee3

geepee3

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 29,276

Posted Sep. 03 2018 - 01:17 PM

That rear flip up sight on sale at Brownells had an aperture size in between large and small FWIW.

Dead on Brother... 

vUKsUNx.jpg

This is the sight I just got in that Brownell's still has on sale.

You have minimal obstruction on the peripherals with this type of sight.

Knights Armament and Ma-Tech make similar sights with elevation at a premium price.

Unfortunately I got rained out yesterday and did not get a chance to try the Brownell's sight yet.

Thanks,

Glenn   

Edited by geepee3, Sep. 03 2018 - 01:18 PM.

Signature:

Turning 5.56X45 mm brass into 6X45 mm brass one case at a time since April 2014.

6.8 SPC II, That's .270 Lite for those of us in the real world. 

M1A Socom 16; Its bark blows minds, its bite is even worst! 

30 Herrett AR; I know, 7.62X39 is cheaper... But I already had the 6.8 SPC brass and bolts.

8DjqgGE.png

#4 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

• Member ID: 3,430

Posted Sep. 03 2018 - 01:45 PM

geepee3, on 03 Sept 2018 - 2:17 PM, said:

Dead on Brother... 

vUKsUNx.jpg

This is the sight I just got in that Brownell's still has on sale.

You have minimal obstruction on the peripherals with this type of sight.

Knights Armament and Ma-Tech make similar sights with elevation at a premium price.

Unfortunately I got rained out yesterday and did not get a chance to try the Brownell's sight yet.

Thanks,

Glenn   

That sight reminds me a lot of a Ma-Tech w/o the elevation adjustment.

I have both a KAC and a Ma-Tech, and quite honestly I like the KAC best.

What John was talking about (removing the peep aperture altogether) used to be quite common.

On my old target gun I went in another direction....a selectable multi aperture peep similar to this one.

Lee_Shaver_MVA_Standard_Hadleys-595x311.

• geepee3 likes this

Signature:

I Will NOT Comply!

"You came here lookin' for a killin'. If you stick around there's going to be some. I don't know any plainer way to put it."

John Payne as Vint Bonner ~ Restless Gun

STx4pQP.gif

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal

So Suck It Up Buttercup!

Do you really think you can drop us all?                                                   

You're first, he's next...are you going to care what happens after that?

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"

~Thomas Jefferson~

#5 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Sep. 03 2018 - 04:02 PM

Scopes I am in the dark on.

"Peep" sights I have experience with.    :)

#6 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Sep. 03 2018 - 05:05 PM

I think ya'll aren't following me. Only the peep. At approx .070 focused on the front post, it'll be a bit fuzzy on a short sight radius. The hard sights were originally designed and sized for the radius of the 20" barrel, right With a narrower peep, for lack of a better term, it should "scrub" away some or all of that fuzz / blurr. Say .040 or a bit less. Pluses and minuses for sure but I'm speaking of targets at extended ranges (for a pistol / sbr) for me which translates to 25 meters and greater.

#7 ONLINE   meh77gmc

meh77gmc

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 7,821

Posted Sep. 03 2018 - 05:18 PM

I believe you might be disappointed with a smaller aperture.
I have A1 style peep sights on a 16" .22 that I use regularly at 25-60 yards and I had to open up the size of the aperture. With the small hole the sights came with, they became all but unusable at any light level less than say... sunset.
I opened it up with a 7/64" drill bit and it was a major improvement for me. No noticeable loss in accuracy at 50yds, and I can now see a clear sight picture in low light conditions.

Just an observation based on my mileage.
Mike
  • bamashooter likes this

#8 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Sep. 03 2018 - 08:06 PM

Thanks. I figured that with a smaller aperture that you'd have less light thus "bright" daylight would be optimal as compared to dusk. But I don't know. That's why I'm asking. Doubtful I go that way but when I do get the barrel, I'm gonna apply tape to the peep and try to bore as close as I can get a .040 opening to see (maybe see is too strong a word / lol) what happens. What I anticipate is an unacceptable delay in acquiring targets short of casual bench shooting, plinking, etc. But I have a contingency plan.  :laugh:

#9 ONLINE   Srgt. Hulka

Srgt. Hulka

Girl Scouts Cookie/Crack Pusher

• Member ID: 25,426

Posted Sep. 03 2018 - 08:50 PM

Thanks. I figured that with a smaller aperture that you'd have less light thus "bright" daylight would be optimal as compared to dusk. But I don't know. That's why I'm asking. Doubtful I go that way but when I do get the barrel, I'm gonna apply tape to the peep and try to bore as close as I can get a .040 opening to see (maybe see is too strong a word / lol) what happens. What I anticipate is an unacceptable delay in acquiring targets short of casual bench shooting, plinking, etc. But I have a contingency plan.  :laugh:

That’s funny you should mention that Bama. I was shooting my Garand last weekend and wishing it had a smaller rear peep sight. Then I thought about putting tape over the sight and trying different size holes in the tape.
  • bamashooter likes this

Signature:

Lighten up Francis! "

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Benjamin FranklinA"

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. 

"We need to Kill Them.  We need to Kill them."  

Judge Jeanine Pirro on radical Muslim Terroists.

gallery_25426_262_200.jpg     

Bossiershreveportmudbuglogo.png

#10 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Sep. 03 2018 - 09:05 PM

No surprise. Great minds think alike. :)

• Srgt. Hulka likes this

#11 ONLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 13,758

Posted Sep. 04 2018 - 12:46 AM

That’s funny you should mention that Bama. I was shooting my Garand last weekend and wishing it had a smaller rear peep sight. Then I thought about putting tape over the sight and trying different size holes in the tape.

It is funny, I always thought the garand peep was too small. I started with the GI peep and then changed to a NM .052 hooded to shoot matches with. The smaller peep definitely messes with low light sight and target acquisition. I haven't shot matches in almost 30 years so went back to the GI peep and decided to go larger. I drilled that sucker out to 3/16" and love it. 

I can't imagine fighting a war with the standard peep. Since much combat seems to happen at first light or last light and the time in between, the size of the issued peep really should have been larger in order to maximize low light shooting. JMHO.

I had a match rifle with a dial a peep and shot it pretty extensively using each different peep size. There honestly wasn't much difference in accuracy between them. If your front sight is fuzzy you are focusing on the target and not the sight. Focusing on the front sight will give you better accuracy on the target. 

• Longhair likes this

Signature:

I WILL NOT COMPLY!

This post approved by the NSA!

I mean if you are going to go potato go full potato.

We are never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy......
Sight picture and trigger control, the 2 most important things I am teaching my son.
Criminals, if they retreat in the face of lethal force kill them for not even having the work ethic to do their chosen profession well.
So we are expected to believe that the same scientists that are 50% wrong on the weather of the Earth tomorrow are somehow able to predict a storm on a star 93 million miles away in 2 years.
Get real.

"Gitmo, you didn't close that!"

#12 OFFLINE   Winkel

Winkel

• Member ID: 22,782

Posted Sep. 13 2018 - 08:35 PM

When I'm shooting at paper for accuracy, I generally keep my eye back away from the rear peep to make the hole appear smaller relative to the front sight.  

I know it sounds kind of funny but I can center the front up better that way.  

• bamashooter likes this

#13 OFFLINE   bj139

bj139

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 32,407

Posted Sep. 13 2018 - 09:26 PM

Depth of Field.

The smaller the aperture the greater the depth of field so the front sight and the target will be in better focus.

• bamashooter likes this

#14 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Sep. 13 2018 - 11:34 PM

I think ya'll aren't following me. Only the peep. At approx .070 focused on the front post, it'll be a bit fuzzy on a short sight radius. The hard sights were originally designed and sized for the radius of the 20" barrel, right With a narrower peep, for lack of a better term, it should "scrub" away some or all of that fuzz / blurr. Say .040 or a bit less. Pluses and minuses for sure but I'm speaking of targets at extended ranges (for a pistol / sbr) for me which translates to 25 meters and greater.

Seriously, brother, I would train more with the larger aperture, or make it even larger...

Especially if you are talking about multiple targets.  You have to give your brain the repetitions to naturally center that front post in the rear aperture. 

If you are looking for speed in transitioning between multiple targets, you need a larger rear aperture, not a smaller one. The rear aperture should be "fuzzing out" anyway.  After a while, you don't really notice the rear aperture, because you are focusing on that front post. Your brain does the centering for you without conscious effort with enough practice.

More rounds down range and trust your eyes.  This geezer has been there and dome that. 

You are going for good minute of bad guy groups are you not ? 

If you are going for target groups I can see a smaller rear aperture, but for that type of target shooting you have more time, and they don't use multiple targets. 

I say get a larger aperture, or drill that one out... If I still had that Williams peep sight where I unscrewed the largest aperture and used the fitting as the ghost ring,

I'd send it to you, but it went with the rifle.  The whole idea is for the rear aperture to "disappear" . If it is not, that means you need bigger, not smaller....

With practice your eye WILL center that post in the rear aperture, no matter what the size, but you need a large aperture for fast shooting and multiple targets....

I have no doubt on this one, my friend.

John

• bamashooter likes this

#15 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 10:58 AM

I have large apertures down well enough is there is such a thing. Can always improve of course. Just wanting to get speed increased (primarily multi-targets) with mil-spec / even smaller peep. Lot of work but about anything worth doing well is. For some reason I have become unheathily fascinated by peep sights. Hopefully I can come back to reality but, it the mean time ............... :D:

#16 OFFLINE   bj139

bj139

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 32,407

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 12:16 PM

Anyone swapped to a smaller diameter "peep" on the rear due to having a shorter (16" and less) barrel (sight radius)? Or for any other reason I reckon? Results? My primary concern is reacquisition of a target or engaging multiple targets. Thanks.

For reaquisition of a target or engaging multiple targets, go bigger.  For precision, go smaller.

• bamashooter likes this

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center