• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 05:19 PM

This is a search engine out of Canada, duckduckgo,  that is part of a huge project to bring more privacy to the internet. 

They do not track what you search or where you go.

I am still digesting all of the info on their site, and looking for 3rd party reviews. 

The have given out a bunch of money in grants to other IT companies trying to give users privacy, with a small amount coming from donations from users. Half a million in about 10 years total. I know, a drop in the bucket, but we gotta start somewhere...

Still don't have the bottom line on who these folks are, but they seem open and sincere. 

They are now my default search engine, am going to see about them being my default browser.  They also offer other tools you can use to protect yourself. 

Maybe some of our computer savvy guys can check these ducks out and tell us what you think...

I will keep reading.

John

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#2 OFFLINE   wish2no

wish2no

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 21,647

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 05:23 PM

https://www.maketech...s-duck-duck-go/

DuckDuckGo may not be as connected as Google and may not be as flashy as Bing, but there’s one thing it offers that is very attractive, and that’s anonymity. That’s something that is sometimes important, and we definitely lose that with Google and Bing. Every product of Google knows what you have done on all of its other products. Sometimes we just want to search without the search engine following us. However, without that, the results aren’t tailored specifically for you. Everyone gets the same search results.

I have used and recommended DDG exclusively for many years.

john

Edited by wish2no, Sep. 14 2018 - 05:29 PM.

Signature:

“You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws….” ~ John Adams

“All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void.” [Marbury vs. Madison, 5 US (2 Cranch) 137, 174,176 (1803)]

"Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." [Miranda vs. Arizona, 384 US 436, 491 (1966)]

"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]

"There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights." [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

"Constitutional rights may not be denied simply because of hostility to their assertion and exercise: Vindication of conceded constitutional rights cannot be made dependent upon any theory that it is less expensive to deny them than to afford them."
[Watson vs. City of Memphis, 373 US 526, 535 (1963)]

"The state cannot diminish Rights of the people." [Hurtado vs. California, 110 US 516 (1884)]
“No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it.” [16 Am. Jur. 2d, Section 177; later 2d, Section 256]

“A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.”

–  Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

#3 OFFLINE   wish2no

wish2no

• Member ID: 21,647

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 05:25 PM

Also check out the thread I started earlier today about surveillance self defense tips.  More good info

http://ar15armory.co...communications/

• rasputin likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 05:38 PM

Also check out the thread I started earlier today about surveillance self defense tips.  More good info

http://ar15armory.co...communications/

There are lots of tips on the DDG site too.

#5 ONLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 417

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 05:41 PM

I use DDG a lot. If you are looking for guns, DDG doesn't censor the search.

Signature:

Wag more. Bark less.

So many guns, so little time.

#6 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Moderator
  • Member ID: 26,245

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 05:48 PM

I really need to de-Gulag, er Google.

I'll have to give DDG a test drive.

Remember, when something like software is free *you* are the product.

• bamashooter likes this

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I believe in my God. My County. And Myself.

flag.jpg

I do not burn bridges. I just loosen the bolts a bit every day.

Stop the Bad People. Help the Good People. Aid the needy people, where possible.

Good times create weak men. Weak men create bad times. Bad times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

#7 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 07:05 PM

One of the things i want to find out is how DDG makes its money.

But what I found interesting is the list of other providers they give their money to that are all stiving to produce a corner of the internet where average people can go without having profiles created.

It was a long list, and i would like to here more about this effort, and exactly what they are doing.

This is just not some people that decided to set up a simple track free search engine.

If they are what they seem to be, they are part of a movement to bring some common decency and privacy to the internet.

I'm just getting started, but it seems as if you use their browser, you can put a code in front of the website address of Amazon, for instance, and Amazon

would not be able to compile info on you. Now realize this was what I was getting from a very quick read, and I have a lot to go through.

That is why I asked for people who are knowledgeable in this stuff. 

DDG said they have 53 employees. I have no idea what all these are sites do that they contribute to, or what whole is made up by the sum of these parts.

It has peaked my interest, and I will be trying to figure it out, and to see if they are for real. 

Apparently there are foundations companies, and entrepreneurs  who appear, on the surface at least, to have a noble cause. 

I would be willing to pay a yearly fee for an internet that these IT guys are putting together that protects the end user. I remember reading

that their software "forces" these websites to allow usage even when data mining is blocked. Pretty heady stuff.

I just hope it is not pipe dreams. If it is not I think it is worth supporting. 

I know I am being optimistic, but I was unaware anything like this was going on in the private sector. 

I remember asking on these pages why someone with bucks is not providing competition to the data abusers. 

Apparently, there are many entities involved, but they seem to be  a bit lacking for cash, and it also seems like they started doing it for free.

I know so little about these groups...could be Russians... :cool:

Edited by Retcop, Sep. 16 2018 - 12:34 PM.

#8 ONLINE   tommag

tommag

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 30,704

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 08:26 PM

I've used ddg as my search engine for years. I had no idea they had a browser. Time to look for it, I guess.

#9 ONLINE   tommag

tommag

• Member ID: 30,704

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 08:35 PM

Well, the browser is fairly quick, but I cant seem to make it zoom or change font size.

#10 ONLINE   bj139

bj139

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 32,407

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 10:34 PM

I have been using DuckDuckGo for at least 8 years.  I keep it as my default search engine.

I didn't know they had a browser.  I will try it.

Edit: It looks like the browser is only for Android.

Edited by bj139, Sep. 14 2018 - 10:40 PM.

#11 ONLINE   kevzskim4

kevzskim4

• Member ID: 7,958

Posted Sep. 16 2018 - 12:30 PM

Startpage is pretty good as well.

#12 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Sep. 16 2018 - 12:41 PM

This is all good stuff. 

Maybe we can use this thread to spread the word on internet protection.

Someone else mentioned seeing an ad on TV for a VPN that protects against profiling.

I saw an ad for one of these companies on Fox TV just a day or two after I started this thread.

Maybe there has been a "breakthrough" in affordable software that will actually frustrate the data miners ?

Maybe then these products are now coming to market with advertising support because they finally work well enough

to be worth the money  ? 

#13 ONLINE   meh77gmc

meh77gmc

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 7,821

Posted Sep. 16 2018 - 01:07 PM

After the nastygram and timeout from the book of face, I started the process of deleting it. Also switched away from google on the PC and phone in favor of DDG. In doing so, I lost my password for this forum for a few days. I was starting to get the shakes until the boss helped me reset.
I can get my fix again and the shakes are gone!
  • geepee3 likes this

#14 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Sep. 16 2018 - 01:27 PM

After the nastygram and timeout from the book of face, I started the process of deleting it. Also switched away from google on the PC and phone in favor of DDG. In doing so, I lost my password for this forum for a few days. I was starting to get the shakes until the boss helped me reset.
I can get my fix again and the shakes are gone!

Glad you were pulled back from the edge. 

It happened to me one time, and it was a very dark place.    :laugh:

#15 ONLINE   bj139

bj139

• Member ID: 32,407

Posted Sep. 16 2018 - 01:29 PM

Years ago. I was using DuckDuck and Startpage interchangeably and Startpage had problems so I just kept using Duck.

Edit: Startpage looks good as before.  I installed it as a search engine.

Edited by bj139, Sep. 16 2018 - 02:09 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Crotchety Old Woman

• Member ID: 750

Posted Sep. 16 2018 - 05:06 PM

Problem I'm seeing is that DDgo is not getting the same results as google, quality is suffering as is content when using exact same search words between the 2. 

#17 ONLINE   kevzskim4

kevzskim4

• Member ID: 7,958

Posted Sep. 16 2018 - 08:12 PM

Opera is another halfway decent one, with free VPN, but usually puts me in russia...

#18 OFFLINE   broke_shooter

broke_shooter

• Member ID: 29,649

Posted Sep. 17 2018 - 12:49 AM

I downloaded the DDG browser on my android phone. I've been using Firefox for a few years but overtime it's gotten bloated. I do like the adblocker add-on.

Now with the DDG browser there are a few quirks that are starting to get annoying. First is the tabs. When I have more than one tab open the other tabs also change to the latest tab I open. For instance say tab 1 is the armory. I click on a youtube video to open in a new tab in tab 2. After I watch the video and close the tab and return to the armory in tab 1. It goes to youtube instead. If there were three tabs open they would all go to what was in tab 3.
Another thing is when scrolling down a page just slowly and casually, all of a sudden the page would race down as if I quickly swiped down the page.
With Firefox I didn't get any ads. On DDG browser some ads get through. I forgot there were ads at the beginning of youtube videos. Now I gotta wait 5 seconds before I can skip to the video on almost all vids I watch.
These aren't exactly a deal breaker yet but it's getting there. Just annoying first world problems.

ETA:Something new just happened. Before I came here to the armory and signed in to make the above post, I was at another forum, a guitar forum I visit regularly. After I made the above post I clicked back to go to the general forum. I clicked on the "surveillance tips" post and was reading that. Part way down someone posted a link to anonomizer, I clicked on that link and it opened in tab 2. After reading a bit I closed tab 2 and went back to tab 1. Instead of coming here to the armory it went back to that guitar forum I was on before.
I think I'll just go back to firefox.

Edited by broke_shooter, Sep. 17 2018 - 01:08 AM.

Signature:
<p> :broke:

A smart man shuts his mouth, a wise man knows when to shut his mouth.

#19 OFFLINE   alpo

alpo

• Member ID: 135

Posted Sep. 17 2018 - 06:17 AM

I put it on my Firefox as the default search and downloaded the add-on for the Firefox to block stuff.  We'll see how it works.

Signature:

NRA LIFE MEMBER

gallery_135_65_1073.jpg

#20 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Sep. 17 2018 - 06:44 AM

Problem I'm seeing is that DDgo is not getting the same results as google, quality is suffering as is content when using exact same search words between the 2. 

I downloaded the DDG browser on my android phone. I've been using Firefox for a few years but overtime it's gotten bloated. I do like the adblocker add-on.

Now with the DDG browser there are a few quirks that are starting to get annoying. First is the tabs. When I have more than one tab open the other tabs also change to the latest tab I open. For instance say tab 1 is the armory. I click on a youtube video to open in a new tab in tab 2. After I watch the video and close the tab and return to the armory in tab 1. It goes to youtube instead. If there were three tabs open they would all go to what was in tab 3.
Another thing is when scrolling down a page just slowly and casually, all of a sudden the page would race down as if I quickly swiped down the page.
With Firefox I didn't get any ads. On DDG browser some ads get through. I forgot there were ads at the beginning of youtube videos. Now I gotta wait 5 seconds before I can skip to the video on almost all vids I watch.
These aren't exactly a deal breaker yet but it's getting there. Just annoying first world problems.

ETA:Something new just happened. Before I came here to the armory and signed in to make the above post, I was at another forum, a guitar forum I visit regularly. After I made the above post I clicked back to go to the general forum. I clicked on the "surveillance tips" post and was reading that. Part way down someone posted a link to anonomizer, I clicked on that link and it opened in tab 2. After reading a bit I closed tab 2 and went back to tab 1. Instead of coming here to the armory it went back to that guitar forum I was on before.
I think I'll just go back to firefox.

Well this is not good to hear. 

I hope these folks who are trying to pry us out of this mess are able to improve their products.

BTW: My phone will race like that no matter what i am using, and I have no idea how to stop it. 

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center