Springfield Wide Body 1911's

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JAYTEAM

JAYTEAM

• Group:New.Members
  • Member ID: 5

Posted Nov. 26 2005 - 11:11 PM

I handled one today at the gun show when I was at a table with Swingset. I was suprised about how well it fit my hand. I have always talked myself out of a G21 because they were too big to fit comfortably in my hand. I am thinking a 13+1 1911 would make an excellent night stand gun with the addition of night sights.

Does anybody have any experience with these?

Jay

Signature:
DD214 already on file

Former Military Policeman and Combat Life Saver

Factory Certified Glock Armorer

#2 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Nov. 27 2005 - 01:46 AM

Of the wide body 1911's, I've only played with Para's. I didn't like the feel, personally. The last one I shot belonged to hkriflenut, and while it was a solid, accurate, reliable pistol, it really didn't feel right to me.

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

#3 OFFLINE   hkriflenut

hkriflenut

Happy Hooker

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 155

Posted Nov. 27 2005 - 02:51 AM

The widebody's fit my hand WAY better than single stack guns. I got big paws though. If you go that route, be prepared to shill out lots of dough for magazines... $50 a piece ain't cheap. If you DO get one - get Para Ord's mags - they're the same design as Springfield's - only you get 14 rounds per mag vs 13. They cost about $5 more than Springfield's mags...

You would probably be better off getting a Para Ordnance than the springfield - as I think the para's run ya less out of pocket. Mine was rock fuzzing solid, ate everything and begged for more. Funny - my gun didn't choke at all...Pepper's shiney bling bling duty gun choked every other round when we shot last time. The finish on the Para was unbelievable too - slide NEVER rusted. I went fishin' lots with it, hiking, camping - beat the living fuzz out of that gun. No scratches, no rust. Nothing. Para's finish truely impressed the hell out of me. Mine was an alloy frame, if that makes a difference. I've always had good luck with alloy framed guns for some reason :)

Signature:
My Klingon Warrior can beat up your Imperial Storm Trooper

I don't care if it's shaped like a penis and you gotta cradle the balls to grip it if it shoots realiably and Glocks do.

#4 OFFLINE   JeremyVG

JeremyVG

No one of consequence.

• Member ID: 23

Posted Nov. 27 2005 - 04:11 AM

I would avoid Para's pistols.

I've experienced one myself which was REALLY bad.

A shooting buddy of mine's Para decided launch the first inch of the slide downrange while firing. Yep...the slide broke off. The metal looked like honeycomb.

The gunsmith at a local shop actually told me NOT to buy the used P13 they had in the case. It'd been reworked by Cylinder and Slide, but the gun wouldn't shoot 6" groups at 50 feet to save itself. This was verified by me when I rented the gun and by the former SEAL who sold guns there part time.

Besides, Para's are made in canada. Why give money to the wanna-be-froggy's?

bc

Signature:
Tyr1training@gmail.com

Certified GLOCK Armorer

Don't like the cops? Next time you need help, call a crackhead. Make sure to let us all know how that works out for you.

#5 OFFLINE   JAYTEAM

JAYTEAM

Posted Nov. 27 2005 - 09:51 AM

You can find the Wide Body Springfields around here for between $400 and $450. I know I will have to get night sights put on it, but $500 for a double stack 1911 doesn't sound too bad to me.

Jay

#6 OFFLINE   cnemikeman

cnemikeman

Armed Texan

• Member ID: 18

Posted Nov. 27 2005 - 09:54 AM

SV and STI are prob the best out there. Pricey, but the best.

Signature:
"Texas, it's like a whole other country"

#7 OFFLINE   C_G_R

C_G_R

AR15Armory NewsCaster

• Member ID: 13

Posted Nov. 27 2005 - 09:58 AM

BTW the 14 round para mags are IMHO the best mags on the market for an 1911 double stacked gun. FYI they also have 20 round para factory if you want to up[ the round count in spare mags. :smile: I have had an double stacked para before and the only thing done to improve it was to polish the feed ramp to get it to reliably feed hydrashocks but that was the only round it didn't chamber all the time.

Signature:
Posted Image
Posted Image

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Second Amendment, United States Constitution.

#8 OFFLINE   JAYTEAM

JAYTEAM

Posted Nov. 27 2005 - 10:12 AM

BTW the 14 round para mags are IMHO the best mags on the market for an 1911 double stacked gun. FYI they also have 20 round para factory if you want to up[ the round count in spare mags. :smile: I have had an double stacked para before and the only thing done to improve it was to polish the feed ramp to get it to reliably feed hydrashocks but that was the only round it didn't chamber all the time.

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. I may use the mag info someday, but I am a loyal Springfield customer. I don't think they can be beat for the $$$ and I don't want to invest Para kind of money in this project.

Jay

#9 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Nov. 27 2005 - 11:45 AM

I wonder exactly how much thicker the wide-body frame is than the single-stack guns. Anyone have one and a micrometer?

#10 OFFLINE   JeremyVG

JeremyVG

No one of consequence.

Posted Nov. 27 2005 - 01:59 PM

The thickness is actually similar with standard grips on a single stack gun.

They feel quite different, however.

They conceal differently, too.

I'm not much into widebody 1911's. The Para I owned really soured me on them.

bc

#11 OFFLINE   JAYTEAM

JAYTEAM

Posted Nov. 27 2005 - 02:11 PM

The thickness is actually similar with standard grips on a single stack gun.

I know that it felt a lot smaller than a G21 in my hand. Maybe it was because the trigger reach was shorter.

Jay

#12 OFFLINE   JeremyVG

JeremyVG

No one of consequence.

Posted Nov. 27 2005 - 02:15 PM

The G21 is it's own gun. I have a hard time comparing Glocks and 1911's because they are different tools (although they both serve the same purpose).

The 1911's feel is just different. The safeties (thumb and grip), change the profile of the gun and it's feel in the hand. 1911's have "stuff". Glocks are flat.

bc

#13 OFFLINE   JAYTEAM

JAYTEAM

Posted Nov. 27 2005 - 02:17 PM

Maybe it was because the trigger reach was shorter.

Jay

BC,

Do you think I'm onto something there?

Jay

#14 OFFLINE   hkriflenut

hkriflenut

Happy Hooker

• Member ID: 155

Posted Nov. 28 2005 - 01:55 AM

If you can find the widebody Springfields under $600 - jump on em. I just haven't seen them very inexpensively in these parts. Used Paras run around $500. Still cheaper than used Sigs, Kimbers, Colts...

Definately have to say the magazines were some high quality parts. They droped from the gun easily loaded or unloaded, they were super easy to load, and fed completely reliably. I like 14 rounds of .45 in my mags too. And as for thickness - it wasn't really any wider than a single stack w/ standard grips. The way Para got around that, at least, was to use a thinner grip panel. To me, the widebody guns feel a lot better in the hand - I think because of the actual shape of the grips being a little less drastically curved than a normal 1911. I had a medium-length trigger in my gun. It had ambi safety and a King drop in beavertail. I really liked that gun. I just have a hard time coughing up $50 per magazine. XD, Glock, CZ, and single-stack 1911 mags cost half that or less...

#15 OFFLINE   BlackRifle223is4me

BlackRifle223is4me

• Member ID: 66

Posted Nov. 28 2005 - 03:28 PM

JAYTEAM, where do you live in ohio ? I live in sw ohio { blanchester } I have a PARA P 12 in 45 acp that you can try if you like, it has a 3.5 inch barrel and the para mags hold 12 rounds. I did not think much about the double stack guns but after shooting my P 12 my opinion changed real quick, yes its a shooter not a safe queen. You can email me { Hoerthbound@tds.net }

#16 OFFLINE   JAYTEAM

JAYTEAM

Posted Nov. 28 2005 - 06:31 PM

I live in central Ohio.

Jay

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center