I come from the land of the ice and snow,

• Group:Tribesmen
  • Member ID: 1,066

Posted Aug. 12 2008 - 12:30 PM

The USS ESSEX CV9
And Essex Class Carriers
of World War II

Posted Image

On December 7, 1941, the Japanese, under the leadership of Admiral Yamamoto, lead a surprise attack on the United States Pacific Fleet anchored at Pearl Harbor. The attack was devastating and severely crippled the US Pacific fleet. However on the day of the attack, the three U.S. Aircraft carriers in the Pacific, the USS Enterprise, USS Lexington, and the USS Saratoga, were not at Pearl Harbor and escaped destruction. By not destroying the carriers, Yamamoto, had unwittingly changed naval warfare forever. No longer would naval battles be fought battle ship against battle ship, airplanes; would now be the primary weapon attacking ships of the opposing force making the aircraft carrier the key in naval engagements. The USS Essex CV9 was America’s newest, fastest and largest class of aircraft carrier, the aircraft carrier that would serve as a benchmark for all other World War two aircraft carriers. The following is a brief account of the USS Essex CV9 and its roll in the Pacific theater during World War II.
By the spring of 1941, a new faster and more powerful class of aircraft carrier was being built, the Essex Class carrier. This new class of aircraft carrier was so impressive that on August 8th, 1945, the commander of the USS English, a destroyer that operated with the Essex sent this dispatch: “What do they mean ‘Essex-class?’ She is in a class by herself.” (1945 Newport News Shipyard Bulletin. Pg. 12 Para 2). The USS Essex CV9 would be the fourth ship in U.S. navy history to carry the name Essex and the first of the large class carriers of WWII. The USS Essex’s keel was laid on April 28th, 1941, in Newport News, Virginia. The New Carrier was launched on July 31st, 1942, and was commissioned December 31. Captain D.B. Duncan would be the Essex’s first skipper and in a speech he gave at the commissioning said “It is my intention and expectation that between us we shall make the name of the ESSEX carry fear and destruction to our enemies, win the praise of our friends, and be a everlasting credit to our country and our flag” (1945. USS Essex Buccaneer. Pg.1 Para 2) Those words had become the ships creed throughout her subsequent missions of war.
With the launching of this great ship other Essex class carriers soon followed among them the Yorktown CV10, Intrepid CV11, Hornet CV12, Franklin CV13, Ticonderoga CV14, Randolph CV15, Lexington CV16, Bunker hill CV17, Wasp CV18, Hancock CV19, Bennington CV20 and the Boxer CV21.The huge carrier had a speed of 33 knots, was armament with 12 five inch guns and carried a crew of 3,448 sailors. The Essex’s flight deck was 870 feet in length and 109 in width and displaces approximately 30,000 tons. Though small by today’s standards in 1942 this new carrier was enormous.
Following her shakedown cruise the Essex passed through the Panama Canal into the Pacific and reported for combat duty on May 18th, 1943 and quickly earned the title as the “Fightingest Ship in the Navy.” The USS Essex won 13 Battlestars, the most of any ship in her class, and fought in sixty-eight combat operations against the Japanese, starting with the Marcus and Wake Island assault in August and October 1943, straight through to the final victory over Japan on August 15, 1946.

Posted Image
my father Howard Johnson (sitting) and his buddy’s aboard the USS ESSEX 1944

On November 25th, 1944, the Essex was at a position east of Luzon so she could launch air strikes on the remaining Japanese force in the northern Philippines. At about 1300 hours or 1:00, A Japanese kamikaze airplane identified as a Yokosuka D4Y Suisei dive bomber, otherwise known as a “Judy” attacked from the starboard side and crashed into the portside edge of the flight deck just forward of the number two elevator and destroyed a 20 millimeter antiaircraft gun emplacement section killing 15 members of a all black gun crew and wounding 44 other sailors. My father was at his battle station on the flight deck fighting fires at the time of the attack and was, though not seriously, one of the injured. The Essex was launching planes at the time of the attack and the Judy narrowly missed several Planes that were fully gassed and armed waiting to take off. The damage to the flight deck was quickly patched up and the ship continued launching planes.

Video of the kamikaze attack on the USS Essex
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
USS Essex takes a Kamikaze hit aft of the forward elevator. She was able to survive due to damage control improvements

When the Essex returned to Leyte Gulf in June of 1945, after the campaign in Okinawa, the Essex had completed the longest combat ever made by an aircraft carrier in a theatre of action. The carrier had assisted in the final assault on the Japanese mainland and was in Tokyo Bay at the time of the signing of the Japanese surrender documents. She was the first carrier to return to the United States at the end of the war. When she arrived in the U.S., the USS Essex CV9 had steamed some 233,419 nautical miles since her commissioning in December of 1942. The Essex was placed out of commission and in reserve on 09 January 1947. She was then modernized and re fitted in the late 40’s and early 50’s to accommodate the new jet aircraft and was re-commissioned January 16th, 1951. On 23 August 1951 she went into combat in Korea, the first carrier to launch F2H Banshee twinjet fighters on combat missions. In the 1960’s the USS Essex was converted into an anti-submarine support carrier and re-designated CVS9. However in June of 1969 she was once again decommissioned and by 1973 she was taken off the U.S. Naval Resistor all together. Two years later, in July of 1975 the “Fightingest Ship in the Navy” was sold for scrap, a sad end to a once mighty and noble ship.

Bibliography:
http://www.ussessexcv9.org/Home.htm

http://www.sinclair....s103/103d01.htm

•Ofstie, Ralph A. (1945). Well Done! An Aircraft Carrier in Battle Action. D. Appleton-Century Company: New York.

•U.S.S Essex. (1946). Saga of the Essex. Army & Navy Pictorial Publishers. Baton Rouge: Louisiana

•1945, April (USS Essex Buccaneer). Vol.2 No.2

•White, Fairmount (ed) November 1945 (Carrier USS Essex: Fightingest ship in Navy) vol.11 No.1 Newport News Shipyard Bulletin. Newport News: Virginia.

Edited by scotto, Aug. 12 2008 - 12:51 PM.

• Joel74 likes this

Signature:

Psalm 144:1
"Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle."

#2 OFFLINE   NONEYA

NONEYA

Damn Business

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 33

Posted Aug. 12 2008 - 09:46 PM

Nice story.

Signature:
Isn't that one of the seven signs of the coming apocolypse? Plagues, famine, Noneya buys a gun...

Pepper

#3 ONLINE   scotto

scotto

Posted Aug. 12 2008 - 09:54 PM

Here is another picture of my father on the Essex.
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   Indy4570

Indy4570

Gun Addict

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 4,574

Posted Aug. 12 2008 - 10:00 PM

nice pics and story, I have pics of my father in Korea. I treasure them and am proud of his service as I am grateful for your fathers service.

Signature:
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   BadKarma

BadKarma

• Member ID: 6,792

Posted Aug. 12 2008 - 10:52 PM

Cool story Glad you Dad made it. My Grandpa was in the navy in WWII had his back broke when a plane crashed the ship he was on pinning him against something. I never got the full story because he died when I was 8 years old of emphysema.

#6 OFFLINE   Russell123

Russell123

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 19,453

Posted Apr. 15 2010 - 06:39 AM

wow i read the story twice. its very nice story i like it

#7 OFFLINE   Thumper

Thumper

The Bad Bunny

• Group:New.Members
  • Member ID: 194

Posted Apr. 15 2010 - 08:26 AM

Posted Image
my father Howard Johnson (sitting) and his buddy’s aboard the USS ESSEX 1944[/size]

Here is another picture of my father on the Essex.
Posted Image

Scotto, seriously, that is awesome. Wow. Fantastic post (as always).

Sad end to that ship, especially after such an impressive and prestigious career.

#8 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Grumpy Old Women

• Member ID: 750

Posted Apr. 15 2010 - 11:32 AM

Great read & pictures :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Signature:
In the end we're all just chalk lines on concrete only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that I'm not.

#9 OFFLINE   Gran Torino

Gran Torino

Get off my lawn

• Group:New.Members
  • Member ID: 18,313

Posted Apr. 15 2010 - 04:00 PM

Wow, great post! God bless your Dad, his crewmembers and the USA :salute:

#10 ONLINE   scotto

scotto

Posted Apr. 16 2010 - 04:05 PM

Thanks guys

This letter packed away with my dad's WWII medals.

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   scratchy wilson

scratchy wilson

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 1,640

Posted Apr. 16 2010 - 11:01 PM

Grandpa served on USS Ticonderoga as an aircraft mechanic. I've been told that he was present at Pearl during the attack. But he never really talks about it. I was looking at a small black Elgin clock with an illuminated dial on an endtable, at his house last weekend, and he told me it came out of a Corsair that crashed on a cliff either on, or coming from an attack on, Saipan. ("Most of it was too high up and was left there"). I asked a question, but he just chuckled and changed the subject. I didn't press the subject. He has terminal cancer that will take him soon, but not today.

Edited by scratchy wilson, Apr. 16 2010 - 11:02 PM.

#12 ONLINE   scotto

scotto

Posted Feb. 12 2016 - 07:43 PM

*I know I'm resurrecting a 6 year old post but I just came across this pic

12744216_10153325144003344_8350549540299

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so this photo of TBMs and SB2Cs from USS Essex (CV 9) dropping bombs on Hakodate, Japan, in 1945 should speak for itself.

#13 ONLINE   mattd65636

mattd65636

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 27,713

Posted Feb. 12 2016 - 08:07 PM

Nice pics. 

My grandfather was on the USS Hornet (CV-8),  witnessed  the Doolittle Raid and Battle of Midway.

• scotto likes this

Signature:

Any information on the above crime, please contact Armory Staff.

"I had this theory. It was based loosely on the unremarkable observation that the old are always looking back with longing while the young, with the same longing, look ahead. One man remembers what the other imagines." -Thomas Lynch The Undertaking: Life Studies From A Dismal Trade

"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again,  this time more intelligently."-Henry Ford

#14 ONLINE   scotto

scotto

Posted Mar. 07 2017 - 04:47 PM

My I remember father telling me about this and now I found the video. 1944, The Navy TBF Avenger gunner from the USS Essex was shot up so bad they left him in the plane and buried him at sea.

#15 ONLINE   ewallover

ewallover

• Member ID: 18,501

Posted Mar. 07 2017 - 10:14 PM

My Dad was a gunner in an SB2C Helldiver on the Yorktown (CV10), Air Group 1 May '44 thru September '44. Battle of the Philippine Sea, Bhonin Islands, Iwo, Chi Chi, and HaHa Jima were all islands they bombed. Ditched once and spent 21 hours in a raft with his pilot until picked up by a tin can. He saw it all...

Edited by ewallover, Mar. 07 2017 - 10:21 PM.

• mattd65636 and CDR RIA like this

#16 OFFLINE   pierceg

pierceg

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 21,163

Posted Mar. 08 2017 - 07:09 AM

Awesome story and history.

Thanks tomyou for sharing it and your fathers history as well.

#17 ONLINE   Srgt. Hulka

Srgt. Hulka

Girl Scouts Cookie/Crack Pusher

• Member ID: 25,426

Posted Mar. 08 2017 - 07:27 AM

I obviously was not around in 2008, so this is the first time seeing this thread.  Very nice post Scotto.  Very nice read. 

Signature:

Lighten up Francis!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin
A
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
Henry Ford

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

"We need to Kill Them.  We need to Kill them."  Judge Jeanine Pirro on radical Muslim Terroists.

t_army-of-the-trans-mississippi-confeder

#18 ONLINE   Joel74

Joel74

You got one shot left in that shooter. Make the most of it.

• Member ID: 28,391

Posted Mar. 14 2017 - 10:48 AM

Very nice post. I too missed it.  

Too bad they scrapped the Essex.  We have the Lexington here in Corpus Christi.  She serves as a Museum. I see her driving over the bridge from Portland daily.

https://www.usslexington.com/

https://www.usslexin...ngton/the-ship/

Commissioned in 1943, she set more records than any other Essex Class carrier in the history of naval aviation.The ship was the oldest working carrier in the United States Navy when decommissioned in 1991. An Essex-class carrier, LEXINGTON was originally named the USS CABOT. During World War II, final construction was being completed at Massachusetts’ Fore River Shipyard when word was received that the original carrier named USS LEXINGTON, CV-2, had been sunk in the Coral Sea. The new carrier’s name was changed to LEXINGTON.

After training maneuvers and a shakedown cruise, LEXINGTON joined the Fifth Fleet at Pearl Harbor. The Fifth Fleet was established April 26, 1944, at this time it was Central Pacific Force. During World War II, the carrier participated in nearly every major operation in the Pacific Theater and spent a total of 21 months in combat. Her planes destroyed 372 enemy aircraft in the air, and 475 more on the ground. She sank or destroyed 300,000 tons of enemy cargo and damaged an additional 600,000 tons. The ship’s guns shot down 15 planes and assisted in downing five more.

The Japanese reported LEXINGTON sunk no less than four times! Yet, each time she returned to fight again, leading the propagandist Tokyo Rose to nickname her “The Blue Ghost.” The name is a tribute to the ship and the crew and air groups that served aboard her.

After the war, LEXINGTON was briefly decommissioned (1947-1955). When reactivated, she operated primarily with the Seventh Fleet out of San Diego, California. Although not involved in actual combat, LEXINGTON kept an offshore vigil during tensions in Formosa, Laos, and Cuba.

In 1962, she sailed into Pensacola, Florida, and began training operations, eventually being officially designated CVT-16, Navy Training Carrier. Corpus Christi is privileged to be selected as the permanent home to this national treasure.

Edited by Joel74, Mar. 14 2017 - 10:53 AM.

Signature:

I will not comply.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."- Thomas Jefferson
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

Sharps%201874%20-%20s1_zpsgc6qmatj.png

#19 ONLINE   ewallover

ewallover

• Member ID: 18,501

Posted Mar. 14 2017 - 10:51 PM

So few left. The Yorktown is berthed in Charleston, SC. My Dad got to visit his old ship before he passed, it's my turn now.

Edited by ewallover, Mar. 14 2017 - 10:52 PM.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center