44 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hkriflenut

hkriflenut

Happy Hooker

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 155

Posted May. 06 2009 - 06:53 PM

** place holder **

Edited by hkriflenut, Jan. 23 2013 - 05:42 AM.

Signature:
My Klingon Warrior can beat up your Imperial Storm Trooper

I don't care if it's shaped like a penis and you gotta cradle the balls to grip it if it shoots realiably and Glocks do.

#22 OFFLINE   hkriflenut

hkriflenut

Happy Hooker

Posted Aug. 31 2009 - 12:22 AM

** place holder **

Edited by hkriflenut, Jan. 23 2013 - 06:46 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   Jay5oh

Jay5oh

• Member ID: 7,514

Posted Aug. 31 2009 - 01:45 PM

Nice work!

Anything along the lines of a IWB for a Sig 226..non-railed...right handed? :nt:

Signature:
Posted Image
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
- Albert Einstein

#24 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Aug. 31 2009 - 03:47 PM

As promised when he gave it to me, I am going to give some early impressions of the IWB holster, and the other goodies he's made.

First, the Mark I IWB G19 holster. When I first fondled it, it seemed a very sturdily built. Bit overbuilt, compared to most commercial holsters, but then again, it was designed to completely block the gun from the sweat of the wearer. In this, it excels. The belt attachment is solid, and the tail incorporated in the design really helps to stabilize the holster, I've used it for a week, and it hasn't moved much at all. It retains the gun just enough without making it unnecessarily hard to draw. I can invert the thing with the gun in it, and shake it pretty vigorously and it won't come out, but it draws easily. Perfect amount of retention, IMHO. Downsides: I wish the belt attachment was tilted for a touch more rake. Maybe 5*. Tiny little thing really, when viewing the holster as a whole. The other, I wish the "tail" of the holster was curved a bit more. I have a rather bony hip, attached to a rather fat ass. A little more body hugging curve would eliminate the "trouser print" a bit, but even so, it's very usable. I carried it today with only my AR15Armory polo over it, and no one could tell, it didn't print enough. I even stopped by the PD, and had a conversation with my old FTO, and asked him if he'd like to see my new pistol, and he asked me if I had to go out to the car to get it. He was surprised when I lifted my shirt tail and drew the 19 for him to look at. I'll give it a score of 8.5 out of 10. I should also note, I've never, ever, found a holster that I'd rate a 10, outside of a full-custom piece that my father made for me years ago. Too many variations of body shape and personal preference to ever get to a 10 in a mass produced holster, but this one is at least as good as anything I've seen from most of the major holster manufacturers.

Now, the magazine carrier. It works, and it works surprisingly well for such a minimalist design. I was impressed how well it retained the magazine. I wouldn't go on a run with it, but for normal wear while going about one's daily business, it would work just fine.

Flashlight carrier review will have to wait. I haven't had a chance to use it much, but it looks very promising. I won't have an excuse if caught without my Streamlight Twin Task off duty again.

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

#25 OFFLINE   hkriflenut

hkriflenut

Happy Hooker

Posted Aug. 31 2009 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for that Pepper.

Once I get my next order of kydex in I'll hafta make a custom holster for whichever piece you want - the 19, the 21, or one of the others. It can have as much tilt or curvature as you want. Can also play with the retention for more or less - tho personally I wouldn't go with less than what that particular one has right now.

Might even be able to hook you up with a mag carrier for it - and maybe a new, better light carrier (the body of the one you have now is great - I'm still not 100% happy with the belt loop, simply because of it's epoxied-on design. That's what I get for using left-overs :)

#26 OFFLINE   john232629

john232629

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 17,219

Posted Nov. 05 2009 - 12:19 PM

thank you for this thread, i'm now inspired...

#27 OFFLINE   dlgary13

dlgary13

• Member ID: 18,482

Posted Jan. 30 2010 - 07:32 PM

Can't say I've got the gusto to undergo this project myself, but thanks for the excellent thread nonetheless!

#28 OFFLINE   wils91

wils91

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 20,046

Posted Aug. 22 2010 - 12:04 AM

i'm a new member here and just found this site.

here are a couple holsters i have made from Kydex. both are made with .60 Kydex and the clips made with .125

the first is a tuckable IWB for my G29 with Streamlight TLR-3. it still needs some work but it is very usable.
Posted Image
Posted Image

the second is one i just finished tonight for my Kimber Pro Carry

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

my advice is to make a press using 2x4's, plywood or OSB and door hinges. it really gives you good results as far as molding the kydex around the gun or whatever else your making a holster for. you can get foam from knifekits.com or just use a couple foam camping mats from wal mart cut into 12x12" pieces. the more foam you use the better the definition of your mold. i use more for the front of the holster than i do the back.

#29 OFFLINE   The War Wagon

The War Wagon

Mafioso of the Apocalypse

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 15,775

Posted Aug. 22 2010 - 05:41 AM

I've heard tell of a guy here in Pittsburgh who does that, but i didn't think it could be as 'easy' as it sounds. Thanks for the pics and story - this is DEFINITE food for thought now! :thumb:

Signature:

won-rev-big.jpg

GATHER... YOUR... ARMIES... :gun3:

#30 OFFLINE   JEFFSGTP

JEFFSGTP

• Member ID: 21,179

Posted Oct. 06 2010 - 01:13 AM

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to register and post a Thank-you for all the info this site/thread has on making home made kydex holsters. i could not find a good L.H. - IWB tuckable kydex holster for my S&W Model 39, after extensive reading and re-reading etc...I ordered a sheet of .080" Black Kydex and measured cut, heated etc, below is the Near-finished product...all that remains is getting the proper screws, drilling holes for them, asembly, final triming (rounding) of the barrel end (which I decided to wait on until I have the screws installed where I want them) and finish sanding (if I decide to go that far).
FRONT SIDE
Posted Image
BACK SIDE
Posted Image
TUCKABLE J-HOOK MOUNT (will be installed on a canted angle as shown...I made sure to leave plenty of material on the install end to allow for that)
Posted Image

I will post a final pic after I get the above stuff accomplished....again thanks to everyone who provided the information...it was a great help.

#31 OFFLINE   gtz

gtz

• Member ID: 21,208

Posted Oct. 09 2010 - 03:30 PM

When making a holster with an attached light, had anyone noticed if the plastic on the light melted? My kydex was just delivered to my house so I plan on starting my first holster when I get home from work. I plan on making an OWB holster for my M&P with an attached TLR-3 and I just don't want to melt anything except the kydex.

Thanks for any and all help,
GTZ

#32 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Oct. 09 2010 - 03:54 PM

The plastic on the light doesn't melt. However, you're also in control of the heat. Kydex becomes flexible at a temperature much lower than many other plastics. You want it warm enough to form, but not hot enough that it's a "limp noodle". Think of it about the way you would wet leather to form it into a holster. Keep it just too hot to touch, and you're fine. Any hotter, you'll make it start to melt, and it won't hold the shape you put into it. The best way to start out with Kydex, is to warm it slowly. Heat it up gradually, until it starts doing what you want it to do. If it cools too much while you're still working it, give it a little more. Remove the gun fairly often as the stuff hardens, and let the gun/sights/light cool. Water doesn't harm kydex, so wet your light down if you're worried, right before you put it back into the hot material.

Take your time, go slowly, and enjoy the process.

#33 OFFLINE   gtz

gtz

• Member ID: 21,208

Posted Oct. 09 2010 - 05:45 PM

Thanks!

#34 OFFLINE   JEFFSGTP

JEFFSGTP

• Member ID: 21,179

Posted Oct. 13 2010 - 08:40 PM

well here is the final pictures as promised...I think it turned out well...have had a couple friends ask where I bought it and look dumbfounded when I said I made it, so I guess I did OK job on it!

HIP SIDE:
Posted Image

BELT SIDE:
Posted Image

ON MY HIP:
Posted Image

I think If I make a new holster, I am going to try to figure out how to line the kydex with leather suede before I heat and form it....my Safariland holster (Duty Carry) has leather inside and it seems like the way to go....will post back if I get it to work with instsructions on what used etc.

Comments, questions, suggenstions on above or my idea to leather line it.

#35 OFFLINE   DMViergever

DMViergever

I look cute.

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 15,371

Contributor

Posted Nov. 14 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hey guys Here are some holsters I've made in the last couple days. It's posted in another forum but you will have to click on the link so I don't have to retype it all haha. Thread on holsters

Signature:

#36 OFFLINE   commanderdrako

commanderdrako

• Member ID: 24,237

Posted Oct. 03 2011 - 07:32 AM

Very nice!

#37 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted Oct. 03 2011 - 10:58 AM

Great post.

Should this not be a sticky?

Edited by Retcop, Oct. 03 2011 - 10:58 AM.

Signature:
NRA Life Member

The People's power flows through the States, not Washington.

Repeal the 17th Amendment.

Read Levin's The Liberty Amendments, Liberty and Tyranny, Ameratopia, and Men in Black.

#38 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

• Group:E.S. Staff
  • Member ID: 17,756

Posted Dec. 21 2011 - 02:13 AM

Good stuff indeed! :thumb:

Signature:

Purpose should drive the Purchase......

The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#39 OFFLINE   wils91

wils91

• Member ID: 20,046

Posted Jun. 12 2012 - 10:26 AM

I've come along way in quality with my last few holsters. there have been others I've made but these are the latest.

if your looking for a cheap alternative to the foam from knifekits, you can find a cheaper suitable replacement that is better than the camping mat foam in the garden section at your local Lowes. they are thick blue kneeling pads

the first is a OWB for my wifes 638 j-frame

08 back and .06 front. i messed on a couple rivets when lining them up. always happens. this is the first thing I've made in close to a year

yeah it's pink but that's what she wanted.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Also made this IWB for my new G19.
.08 Coyote used .08 for the clip as well which will need to fine tuning after wearing it. needs shortened up a bit but it's functional

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 OFFLINE   AnonymousD

AnonymousD

• Member ID: 6,830

Posted Jun. 12 2012 - 11:48 AM

Looks good. I have a small strip of kydex that I have my hole pattern drilled in, and I use it as a template on every holster, that way they are all the same, and they are much more likely to be straight. I havent tried making a revolver holster yet, but I know I could. I just want to make them with a sweatshield on the back. And to do that I need some dowel that is the same size as the cylinder to put behind it so the kudex doesnt wrap around it and lock the gun in the holster. I may use some type of putty though. Ive seen people using it for holsters lately.

And how did you get the kydex off of the gun where you screwed the belt loop? Just a piece of wood or something?

I have a buddy who got his girlfriend a S&W Airweight, and she wants a holster for it. I have some polished brass eyelets and Ill order some pink kydex. She should like that. lol

Forum Statistics

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)
Information Center