rock island in 10mm

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   license2carry

license2carry

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 4,853

Posted Aug. 02 2007 - 10:16 PM

ok maybe its not a kimber but this could be a cost saving way for a poor guy like to have a 1911 in 10mm anyone else what do you guys think

Signature:
You dont shoot 2 kill You shoot 2 stay alive
10mm the Premier choice for handgun defense
Sweet Home Alabama
Impeach Obama

#2 OFFLINE   panzermk2

panzermk2

President Elite Ammunition.

• Group:Armory Sponsor
  • Member ID: 8,262

Posted Aug. 02 2007 - 10:26 PM

They lack fit and finish. Something you can easily remedy. There are very strong well made guns though and would make a great base gun for a 10mm project

Signature:

#3 OFFLINE   gunfan

gunfan

• Group:Banned
  • Member ID: 9,073

Posted Aug. 03 2007 - 12:32 AM

They lack fit and finish. Something you can easily remedy. There are very strong well made guns though and would make a great base gun for a 10mm project

The Rock Island assembly should be seen as a "diamond in the rough." Taken to a competent gunsmith, assembled with the proper spring setup (read: a 22 lb recoil spring, an extra strength mainspring and an extra strength firing pin spring)accompanied by a stainless steel flat-bottoned firing pin stop from EGW.

If these "remedies" are included with a "match" barrel and tight bushing, along with a hi-rise beavertail and some Heine sights, you should have all the elements of a kick-arse pistol! (It won't matter if it is a Series 70 or Series 80 setup.) It should provide better than miniute of "bad guy" accuracy.

Just remember to change the springs regularly (every 2500-3000 rounds.) Your pistol should outlast YOU!

Scott

#4 OFFLINE   Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

• Member ID: 3,238

Posted Aug. 03 2007 - 09:48 PM

LICENSE2CARRY, I concur with Gunfans apt appraisal of the 'Rock Island Line', almost sounds like a song. I am not sure, what a 10mm from the 'Rock', is going for now. But; adherents, like Sheriff Jim Wilson, tout Rock's QC, and accuracy in the 1911 production platform. It would be interesting to see a 10mm shoot-off with a Wilson, Springfield, and Rock with equivalent refinements. Here is the link to Rock's webpage:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero, Aug. 03 2007 - 09:51 PM.

Signature:

"Cram-it up your . . . cramhole, La Fleur!" - White Goodman, 'Dodgeball:  A True Underdog Story'

"I can assure you, we share very few sentiments with our government." - Pike Bishop, 'The Wild Bunch'

"It's never personal, it's always business!" - Nino Brown, 'New Jack City'

"Even if you tie me, your gonna be dead! - John Russell, 'Hombre'

"He likes people . . . and you can never count on a man like that!" - Joe Erin, 'Vera Cruz'

"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher." - Frank Castle, 'The Punisher'

"I haven't come this far, to bargain with a rogue at the final hour!" - John Brown of Kansas, 'Santa Fe Trail'

"I've learned to live in the 'white man's world'. Grab all you can, anytime you can!" - Levi Walking-Bear, 'The War Wagon'

"I never rode shotgun on a hearse before." - Vin Tanner, 'The Magnificent Seven'

"Unlike the cruel Leonidas, who demanded that you stand, I require only that you kneel." - Xerxes, '300'

"Every man should have a little taste of power before he's through!" - Nathan Burdette, 'Rio Bravo'

"His name is Elmiro Dungfoot!  And there is nothing 'supernatural' about him! - excerpt from  'Vampirella'  issue #50  (The Thing in Denny Colt's Grave)

#5 OFFLINE   panzermk2

panzermk2

Posted Aug. 04 2007 - 01:02 AM

Yep Rocks are the Norincos of they new millennium.

Signature:

#6 OFFLINE   gunfan

gunfan

• Group:Banned
  • Member ID: 9,073

Posted Aug. 04 2007 - 11:03 AM

Yep Rocks are the Norincos of they new millennium.

That is a fine analogical "paralell" to Jan Libourel's assesment of the old Norinco imports. In fact, Jan once stated in an article, after building his Custom .45 ACP on a Norinco frame, he wouldnt trade it for one of the 'newer' Colts! That speaks quite highly of the Chinese frames, if you ask me!

Scott

#7 OFFLINE   cplater

cplater

• Member ID: 9,231

Posted Sep. 01 2007 - 08:50 PM

Please do not confuse Rock Island with Rock River Arms. Rock River Arms makes very good stuff in the good old USA while the other does not.

#8 OFFLINE   panzermk2

panzermk2

Posted Sep. 02 2007 - 12:13 PM

True Rock River is made here in ILL. FOR NOW!

But they make the Kimbers look cheap so I don't think anyone is or will get them confused.

Signature:

#9 OFFLINE   Auto Mag

Auto Mag

• Member ID: 9,115

Posted Sep. 02 2007 - 08:12 PM

Please do not confuse Rock Island with Rock River Arms. Rock River Arms makes very good stuff in the good old USA while the other does not.

There is nothing wrong with the RIA line of 1911 pistols.

Signature:
"This is the 44 Magnum Auto Mag and holds a 300 grain cartridge and if properly used it can remove the fingerprints."

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center