AR15Armory Announcements

Photo

AR 15 manufacturers, which is the most reliable?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Springfield Girl

Springfield Girl

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 13,515

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 04:34 PM

Folks, I'm new here, so if I've put this in the wrong place I'm sorry!

I plan Lord willing, to get an AR 15 soon.

So which do you like? Why or why not? I 'd like to hear the pros and cons. Y'alls input would be most appreciated!

Colt
ArmaLite Inc
Rock River Arms
Olympic Arms
American Spirit Arms
Stag Arms
Bushmaster
DPMS
Wilson Combat
L&G Weaponry

Signature:
Micah 6:8
He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?

#2 ONLINE   Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Hold My Beer and Watch This!

• Group:Administrator
  • Member ID: 1

Contributor

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 04:41 PM

:welcome: I will move this topic so you can find the AR15 Section. :thumb:
Charles Daly
DPMS
Daniel Defense
LMT
Smith and Wesson
Armalite "Oak"
RRA
Stag

There are so many kinda hard to list.

Signature:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed
Second Amendment to the US Constitution December 15th 1791

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ... God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion; what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.
Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

#3 OFFLINE   hsracer201

hsracer201

• Member ID: 215

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 05:40 PM

eh, it's about 6 in one, half dozen in another. just pick which roll marks you like the best and go with it.

the MAIN thing is to avoid reese, vulcon, blackthorne and possibly model 1.

:welcome: to the armory.

#4 OFFLINE   agh

agh

• Member ID: 13,036

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 06:18 PM

Colt, If you can find and afford one. All others are technically copies of the colt, granted most of them are extremely good copies. I'm partial to a colt upper, and prefer a stag,colt,anvil lower. Just make sure everything you buy is 100% mil-spec, and everything will fit together nicely.

#5 OFFLINE   hsracer201

hsracer201

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 06:35 PM

Colt, If you can find and afford one. All others are technically copies of the colt, granted most of them are extremely good copies. I'm partial to a colt upper, and prefer a stag,colt,anvil lower. Just make sure everything you buy is 100% mil-spec, and everything will fit together nicely.

meh, with colt you are just buying a name brand IMO. my colt is no better than any of my other AR's. :dontknow:

#6 ONLINE   scotto

scotto

I come from the land of the ice and snow,

• Group:Tribesmen
  • Member ID: 1,066

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 06:56 PM

DPMS :thumb:

The only Colt I would want now is one of the older ones just for the collectors value..

Colt sold out IMO

Signature:

#7 OFFLINE   rickster7mag

rickster7mag

• Member ID: 13,010

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 07:56 PM

on most of the rock rivers, the fit between the upper and lower are usually real tight and i prefer that. i have one that you have to hammer the rear takedown pin in and out with no slop at all. but on the other hand, not having a tight fight between the upper and lower will not affect function of the riffle at all.

#8 OFFLINE   nitehawk

nitehawk

• Member ID: 7,823

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 07:57 PM

:welcome: to the Armory. Check out the S&W or the DPMS. Enjoy the fever :flea:

#9 OFFLINE   rickster7mag

rickster7mag

• Member ID: 13,010

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 08:02 PM

eh, it's about 6 in one, half dozen in another. just pick which roll marks you like the best and go with it.

the MAIN thing is to avoid reese, vulcon, blackthorne and possibly model 1.

:welcome: to the armory.

i don't own a Model 1 sales ar and was just wondering what kind of issues one might encounter? i ask because i almost placed an order with them.

#10 OFFLINE   hsracer201

hsracer201

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 08:20 PM

i don't own a Model 1 sales ar and was just wondering what kind of issues one might encounter? i ask because i almost placed an order with them.

spend enough time on these boards and you will read MUCH more negative than positive about them. :dontknow: no news is good news as i see it. bad news is well.... bad news....

#11 OFFLINE   Irish10

Irish10

• Member ID: 10,654

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 08:28 PM

My wife and I each have a Smith & Wesson and love them! Great quality at a decent price. Welcome by the way!

Signature:
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   hsracer201

hsracer201

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 08:30 PM

My wife and I each have a Smith & Wesson and love them! Great quality at a decent price. Welcome by the way!

i've spent a few days worth behind a S&W MPT and that is a really nice rifle. i like it a LOT! it sure beats buying a plain jane and then having to upgrate. it has most everything you need included. :thumb:

#13 OFFLINE   gunKnut

gunKnut

• Member ID: 13,289

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 08:40 PM

as long as you stick with the more familiar manufacturers they are all pretty decent Colt, smith and wesson, bushmaster, dpms, rockriver, stag, etc. The hardest part for me was finding one in stock with the configuration i wanted.

#14 OFFLINE   gunKnut

gunKnut

• Member ID: 13,289

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 08:43 PM

i've spent a few days worth behind a S&W MPT and that is a really nice rifle. i like it a LOT! it sure beats buying a plain jane and then having to upgrate. it has most everything you need included. :thumb:

I agree it was my latest addition and I love it so far. I just finished adding everything that didn't come with it that i wanted.. eotech 557 with 4x, mako t pod and a streamlight tl3.

#15 OFFLINE   TigerStripe

TigerStripe

The Almighty Bunghole

• Member ID: 384

Contributor

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 09:17 PM

Charles Daly

TS

Signature:
There's been a drought in the Moroccan Rain Forest.

WECSOG Certified Armorer

#16 OFFLINE   NiteSniper

NiteSniper

• Member ID: 13,331

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 10:14 PM

:welcome: New here myself as of a couple of weeks ago. Just purchased my first AR as well. Stag Model 3. Must say I love it so far. Still alot to add to it. Deciding on an optic right now for long range shooting out to 400 yards. I have heard many good things about many different brands on here. I decided on the Stag because I purchased the left hand model since I shoot left handed and they are the only company that makes one. :wink:

Take the time to read and you will learn much from the members here as I have.

:anim_wave: See ya.

Signature:
"Sniping is poetry in slow motion, up until you pull the trigger."- NiteSniper

Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   jburt

jburt

• Member ID: 13,261

Posted Feb. 22 2009 - 09:44 PM

Actually if ive done my reading accordingly everything is just copies of the armalite from back in the day. considering they sold the rights to colt... but dont hold me to that.

Signature:
“As long as there are guns, the individual that wants a gun for a crime is going to have one and going to get it.” Ronald Reagan

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun."”

#18 OFFLINE   Texasred

Texasred

• Member ID: 4,558

Posted Feb. 23 2009 - 12:02 AM

:welcome:

Welcome to the Armory. I think the ol Nwatson99 covered the majority of the makes that most of the people
here consider the best of the best. Its mainly up to you and what fits you. The makes he covered are among the
better ones. Just keep your eyes open and look around some. Your sure to find something that fits what your looking
for.

Have fun looking with lotsa luck in your search, and once again welcome to the Armory.

Signature:
Keep your powder dry and your shooting iron ready.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't! (General George S Patton)

Posted Image

ONCE A MARINE! ALWAYS A MARINE!

#19 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

• Member ID: 13,574

Posted Feb. 23 2009 - 01:54 AM

Ah, good information! I'm also planning to buy my first AR this year. Have an AK but ya gotta have both, right!

Figured I'd join and listen in and learn what to get. Maybe even build my own if that wouldn't be too hard.

Springfield Girl, Bushmaster has a ladies model that might be good to look at. Also they have a lightweight aluminum receiver and of course the composite Carbon 15 if you want a lightweight AR.

#20 OFFLINE   KyAR

KyAR

• Member ID: 8,189

Posted Feb. 23 2009 - 07:39 PM

:welcome: I believe most covered it. They are all about the same if you are talking about the top names. As for a factory built gun that has the most bang for the buck I vote Rock River Arms, they have more options and some of the best prices. I have never see a bad one and they all shoot well. In the RRA catalog they give accuracy and just about every rifle will shot 1" and some 1.5" and the National Match .75" at 100 yard. I can attest to their National Match being accurate, mine shot better then RRA stated Spec.

I have built a couple of National Match rifles and I have picked Rock River Arms receivers and triggers, I picked them because they have shown to have the best quality at the best prices and they stand behind what they sell.

Bushmaster, DPMS, Armalite, and so on are very good. But for my money Rock River Arms is my pick. Just figure out what you want to do with it, the options you want and buy the one that has them or most of them. Enjoy your new AR and watch out because you'll want more!
KyAR

Edited by KyAR, Feb. 23 2009 - 07:46 PM.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center