Model 1 Sales

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 04:43 PM

Has anyone bought a full kit AR from Model 1 lately? What was your delivery time on the order? I have an order in placed on 12-5-08 and wondered if anyone on the board had gotten one in.

Thanks,

Greg

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#2 OFFLINE   Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Hold My Beer and Watch This!

• Group:Administrator
  • Member ID: 1

Contributor

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 04:51 PM

I don't want to scare you and don't take this the wrong way, but I have never owned one nor plan on it "past feedback I have read on them", but please let us know how it performs when you get it. I have read positive results with their rifles as well, but the bad was out-weighing the good so I never considered their product.
I hope they have improved their quality and would like to read better quality reports on manufacturers out there building our favorite Black Rifle.

What configuration did you get?

Signature:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed
Second Amendment to the US Constitution December 15th 1791

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ... God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion; what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.
Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

#3 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted Feb. 20 2009 - 05:10 PM

I had a young man get their heavy barrel varmint type set up last summer. The parts were well finished. The barrel was nicely fluted and the rifle ran 100% with the lower he put together himself. he used the Timney drop in 3 pound trigger like I have used in my last three builds.

I ordered a CAR A2 kit with a fixed stock for my father-in-law.

Greg

#4 OFFLINE   Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Hold My Beer and Watch This!

• Group:Administrator
  • Member ID: 1

Contributor

Posted Feb. 21 2009 - 01:16 AM

I had a young man get their heavy barrel varmint type set up last summer. The parts were well finished. The barrel was nicely fluted and the rifle ran 100% with the lower he put together himself. he used the Timney drop in 3 pound trigger like I have used in my last three builds.

I ordered a CAR A2 kit with a fixed stock for my father-in-law.

Greg

Good to know thanks for the positive feedback for them.

#5 OFFLINE   103M 95G

103M 95G

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 3,671

Posted Feb. 21 2009 - 01:21 AM

The January edition of Shotgun news had an article by (name escapes me, Patrick Sweeny perhaps) on a Model 1 sales kit, he gave it a good review. he did say the LPK was a little rough and he would put it in his parts box for a spare.

I suggest finding a copy and read it for yourself, also google Model 1 sales for reviews, then make a decision.

Signature:
ModulARweapons.com

#6 OFFLINE   TigerStripe

TigerStripe

The Almighty Bunghole

• Member ID: 384

Contributor

Posted Feb. 21 2009 - 11:05 AM

Sweeny or Fortier.

TS

Signature:
There's been a drought in the Moroccan Rain Forest.

WECSOG Certified Armorer

#7 OFFLINE   macshooter

macshooter

• Member ID: 9,715

Posted Feb. 21 2009 - 01:07 PM

I bought a flattop full length kit from them. The upper is great. I love it. The lower parts kit seemed to be sub-standard, so I replaced what I didn't like with DPMS parts. The safety/ safety dent in particular wasn't very positive, and didn't snap into place the way I thought it should. It felt kinda weak and mushy. Replaced with DPMS parts, no more problem.

I would not buy the Full Kit from M1S, but the uppers (with bolt carrier group) are great IMO. I would buy another upper from them again.

Edited by macshooter, Feb. 21 2009 - 01:07 PM.

Signature:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

God hates a coward - Tomahawk

If you have a problem with me, speak up and say WHY. Otherwise STFU and stop acting like a biatch. -Mac

#8 OFFLINE   kargo27

kargo27

Filling threads with flotsam and jetsam

• Member ID: 13,517

Posted Mar. 01 2009 - 12:28 AM

The January edition of Shotgun news had an article by (name escapes me, Patrick Sweeny perhaps) on a Model 1 sales kit, he gave it a good review. he did say the LPK was a little rough and he would put it in his parts box for a spare.

I suggest finding a copy and read it for yourself, also google Model 1 sales for reviews, then make a decision.

I got a Model 1 kit last night from a dealer in my locale....a basic model, no frills or upgrades but I did see some of the fluted barrels and varmit/stainless barrel series. They looked really nice.

Mine fit well together with my Tactical Innovations T15 lower. I haven't shot it yet, but so far, everything slides as well as a new gun should, IMO.

103M is right with the article that the LPK is a bit rough and mine was missing the hammer pin.

Signature:
"At present half of the USA is working for a living and the other half just votes for a living." - VietVet

#9 OFFLINE   hsracer201

hsracer201

• Member ID: 215

Posted Mar. 01 2009 - 12:31 AM

i had a 7.5" upper i got from wulf. it looked good to go, really. i never shot it before i sold it. i'm still up in the air. i sold it to bbrett. they abused the hell out of it and they had no problems....

Edited by hsracer201, Mar. 01 2009 - 12:31 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   kargo27

kargo27

Posted Mar. 01 2009 - 10:13 PM

i had a 7.5" upper i got from wulf. it looked good to go, really. i never shot it before i sold it. i'm still up in the air. i sold it to bbrett. they abused the hell out of it and they had no problems....

That's encouraging news! I like to hear that.

#11 OFFLINE   gyrhed

gyrhed

• Member ID: 13,828

Posted Mar. 06 2009 - 10:08 AM

I didn't read the entire post but I ran into them at the ft worth gun show last month and will probably see them tomorrow at the same show.

I asked if I ordered something was it in stock. He said he had everything in stock he was just behind on filling orders. Last month he said that they were just then filling orders from November 15th.

I was dumbfounded. Apparently the guy is a 9 to 5er. :) If it was my business I would be filling orders as fast as I could if I had the merchandise. Even though this may be a little far fetched, Big O could shut him down and all that money would be lost.

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on Model 1 sales. In my crowd most were bad, even though they continued to use them. Comments Ranging from never buy from that a$$hole to great product, great sevice are common.

Heres the deal. The guy has problems dealing with people to say the least. I have actually seen him get mad at people at shows who actually had the intention of buying his merchandise then ask the wrong thing and set him off. Yes he will run off a paying customer, and he doesn't seem to care. Then he will turn arround and have a pleasant conversation with the next guy and everything goes well. :)

I think thats why all the mixed reviews.

If you have a problem you will probably not like dealing with its resolution.

Signature:
I thought I was dead once, turns out I was just in Nebraska.

#12 OFFLINE   Energizer

Energizer

• Group:Banned
  • Member ID: 694

Posted Mar. 06 2009 - 10:17 AM

They keep a good supply available for local gun shows. If you want to get ahead of people in line, find out when the next show is and have someone pick up the parts for you, OR, contact RCS Guns (http://www.rcsguns.com/) and he'll usually be able to hook you up with AR15 parts from Model 1 faster than most... or, I might be able to drop in for a visit today and pick up some stuff, but I'd need $$$ first....

PS: I think Karl from Ft. Work (?) recently contacted RCS and received Model 1 Sales parts/kits the same day. I think there's a thread somewhere that he posted.

ETA: one of the threads: http://www.ar15armor...h-samson-rails/

Edited by jchtrh, Mar. 03 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   Energizer

Energizer

• Group:Banned
  • Member ID: 694

Posted Mar. 06 2009 - 10:27 AM

One thing I've noticed about Model 1 5.56 barrels (chrome lined or not) is that they are made by ER Shaw and don't like some steel cased ammo- Model 1 says not to use Wolf.

My 7.5" uppers, and my friend's uppers, can't shoot wolf, PERIOD. (need hammer and rod to get shells out) Not even the new polymer coated crap works. However, if your barrel is worn in, like my buddy's 7.5" upper on his M16, it will feed wolf w/o issue.

#14 OFFLINE   Evil Spock

Evil Spock

Support your individual rights, don't expect others to do it

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 2,826

Posted Mar. 06 2009 - 11:03 AM

I was dumbfounded. Apparently the guy is a 9 to 5er. :) If it was my business I would be filling orders as fast as I could if I had the merchandise.

Not sure who you talked to but regular ours of operation are 8-5, and 6 days a week.

They are churning out a ton of orders believe it or not.

Signature:
" Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities (and the smallest minority on earth is the individual)." Foreigner, Woman, Pro-Choice, Capitalist and atheist ~ Ayn Rand

#15 OFFLINE   gyrhed

gyrhed

Posted Mar. 06 2009 - 03:30 PM

Not sure who you talked to but regular ours of operation are 8-5, and 6 days a week.

They are churning out a ton of orders believe it or not.

All I know is what he said. Sounded like it was him and his family filing orders and the wern't going to work too awful hard at it. :)

9 to 5er is just a figure of speach, didn't mean they didn't work longer than that. It refers to the attitude that was expressed to me. Maybe I read too much into to it but an awful lot of people that have done bussiness with model 1 have the same opinion.

In sales perceptionis everything. You can have a 99% sucess rate and people will think you are bad because you fail to handle the 1% well, but another company can have a 25% failure rate but if they hadnle the 25 % properly they will get better ratings from thier customers. You never hear about the good things.

#16 OFFLINE   gyrhed

gyrhed

Posted Mar. 06 2009 - 03:42 PM

Just so you will know as soon as this big O scare dies down and hopefully all this settles out and you can buy this stuff relatively cheap again Model 1 will most likely get my bussiness since they are a Texas company.

I have never bought anything from Model 1 sales. Ever. I have avoided them for years because any one I asked about them was less than a satisfied customer.

This is the first time I have ever said anything about Model 1, but it will be the last. I probably shouldn't have said anyting anyway since I have never bought anything from them. But I did see what I saw. I have also done a simple google search and model 1 comes up in a lot of forums and is usaully not being flattered. If I worked there I would be trying to do something to deal with the image you seem to have in the AR community. It doesn't matter if the perception is is justified or not.

Maybe I am full of it. I don't build many rifles, and I do not deal with teh other companies much either.

#17 OFFLINE   de03x7

de03x7

• Member ID: 8,570

Posted Mar. 06 2009 - 04:45 PM

I bought 2 16" CAR kits from model 1. Ordered on November 5th and received them mid December. I was told 6 to 7 weeks and that is what it took. I had a problem with the plate that goes aginst the receiver being too thick and the charging handle would jam on it when you pulled it back. Sent them an e-mail and I had two new plates within a week. My daughters have put several hundred rounds thru each one and there has been no problems. When my wife decides I am ready to build another AR I will be going back to Model 1. Someone posted an e-mail from one of the manufactures, maybe RRA or Stag, a couple weeks ago that said expect up to a year wait for a complete standard rifle and up to two years fore a custom build. Its kind of tough to get upset with a family run business that don't want to add staff only to have to let them go when the rush ends being backlogged 4-6 months when the major manfactuers are backlogged a year or more.

#18 OFFLINE   gyrhed

gyrhed

Posted Mar. 07 2009 - 12:39 AM

I bought 2 16" CAR kits from model 1. Ordered on November 5th and received them mid December. I was told 6 to 7 weeks and that is what it took. I had a problem with the plate that goes aginst the receiver being too thick and the charging handle would jam on it when you pulled it back. Sent them an e-mail and I had two new plates within a week. My daughters have put several hundred rounds thru each one and there has been no problems. When my wife decides I am ready to build another AR I will be going back to Model 1. Someone posted an e-mail from one of the manufactures, maybe RRA or Stag, a couple weeks ago that said expect up to a year wait for a complete standard rifle and up to two years fore a custom build. Its kind of tough to get upset with a family run business that don't want to add staff only to have to let them go when the rush ends being backlogged 4-6 months when the major manfactuers are backlogged a year or more.

I regret ever opening my mouth with no more exposure to them than what I saw at the gun show and heard from others that used them. I had no first hand experince with purchases and as such I was probalby out of line. Like I said I would probably order from them when I build the next one. I figured on a red river tactical reciever some of my spare parts and the rest from them.

#19 OFFLINE   kargo27

kargo27

Posted Mar. 07 2009 - 01:26 AM

No reason to apologize, you were just stating your impression and what you saw, like the others and what they've experienced.
As Energizer said, I have a M1S upper and just tonight almost got it where I wanted it with mods. I haven't even shot it yet. It's a little tight but not abnormally so and I'm hoping that after a hundred rounds or so, it'll wear in a bit like my Superior Arms.

I'm going to try to go to the gun show tomorrow and shoot on Sunday. Hope to see some of you guys there (Ft. Worth).

Karl

#20 OFFLINE   kargo27

kargo27

Posted Mar. 07 2009 - 01:29 AM

I had a problem with the plate that goes aginst the receiver being too thick and the charging handle would jam on it when you pulled it back.

D,

Tell me more about this. Which plate are you referring to? Is it right underneath the "T" of the charging handle? Mine scrapes a little. Not enough to stop from pulling back but enough to wear off some Parkerizing.

Karl

Edited by kargo27, Mar. 07 2009 - 01:31 AM.

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center