Accurizing an AR15

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ipser

ipser

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 14,021

Posted Nov. 21 2009 - 02:30 PM

My AR15, which is a RR lower and Colt HBAR upper with a 4x20 scope, is shooting groups of about 1.5" at 50 yards with a variety of ammo, both factory and reloaded.

I know it's not me because I can punch adjoining holes with my Marlin 30-30 with peep sights under the same conditions.

The accuracy is not terrible for tactical purposes but obviously it's not a rifle that will win any competitions. I would have expected better from an HBAR.

Any suggestions for accurizing the rifle? Where should I start my research?

#2 OFFLINE   hsracer201

hsracer201

• Member ID: 215

Posted Nov. 21 2009 - 02:35 PM

Where should I start my research?

with a better, lighter trigger. :wink:

lots of folks like the drop in 2 stages, which i believe RRA makes. there is also a fella out there you can send your trigger group to and he will lighten it to either 3 or 4 lbs, whichever you prefer.

stock triggers suck IMO.

#3 OFFLINE   ipser

ipser

Posted Nov. 21 2009 - 02:38 PM

with a better, lighter trigger. :wink:

lots of folks like the drop in 2 stages, which i believe RRA makes. there is also a fella out there you can send your trigger group to and he will lighten it to either 3 or 4 lbs, whichever you prefer.

stock triggers suck IMO.

It is a stock trigger, heavy long but pretty smooth.

But even shooting on a bench with sandbags the trigger is the primary suspect here?

Edited by ipser, Nov. 21 2009 - 02:40 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   ipser

ipser

Posted Nov. 21 2009 - 02:39 PM

[Ignore this post]

Edited by ipser, Nov. 21 2009 - 03:15 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   hsracer201

hsracer201

Posted Nov. 21 2009 - 03:39 PM

It is a stock trigger, heavy long but pretty smooth.

But even shooting on a bench with sandbags the trigger is the primary suspect here?

IMO, yes. it would at least be a good starting point.

others will be along to offer more insights.

is the upper new or used? is the bore really good and clean?

what kind of scope and rings are you using? if it's a cheap optic (no offense) then it might be that. is the scope mounted on a carry handle?

Edited by hsracer201, Nov. 21 2009 - 03:40 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   ipser

ipser

Posted Nov. 21 2009 - 03:55 PM

IMO, yes. it would at least be a good starting point.

Just double checking.

is the upper new or used? is the bore really good and clean?

what kind of scope and rings are you using? if it's a cheap optic (no offense) then it might be that. is the scope mounted on a carry handle?

The upper is used but not abused, I think. It was clean.

The scope is one of those cheap little 4x20s (Leapers made in China, I think) that attach to the handle with a screw through the hole. It's tight but obviously not locked on like a traditional rifle scope. (Is it unreasonable to expect that cheap scope to do as well as my Marlin iron sights?)

Edited by ipser, Nov. 21 2009 - 03:56 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Hold My Beer and Watch This!

• Group:Administrator
  • Member ID: 1

Contributor

Posted Nov. 21 2009 - 04:09 PM

Smoother trigger pull
Top line optics
Top Shelf ammunition.

Signature:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed
Second Amendment to the US Constitution December 15th 1791

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ... God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion; what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.
Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

#8 OFFLINE   hsracer201

hsracer201

Posted Nov. 21 2009 - 04:14 PM

The scope is one of those cheap little 4x20s (Leapers made in China, I think) that attach to the handle with a screw through the hole. It's tight but obviously not locked on like a traditional rifle scope. (Is it unreasonable to expect that cheap scope to do as well as my Marlin iron sights?)

ding, ding, ding. we probably have a winner.

for one, your scope is crap. (no offense, it's just fact)

for two, i've tried using a mount system like that on my own colt match target h-bar and it never would get 100% rock solid. i ended up taking it off and leaving it alone.

those cheap scopes are made for rimfires bud. you could probably shoot better groups with the peep in the carry handle.

#9 OFFLINE   ipser

ipser

Posted Nov. 21 2009 - 04:21 PM

for two, i've tried using a mount system like that on my own colt match target h-bar and it never would get 100% rock solid. i ended up taking it off and leaving it alone.

those cheap scopes are made for rimfires bud. you could probably shoot better groups with the peep in the carry handle.

Good to know. That's probably the easist thing to fix.

On the other hand, it creates a bit of a delimna. If the scope/mount is the culprit then I have to decide whether I want to keep this as a tactical-style rifle or upgrade toward a hunting rifle.

Is there any in-between option that would provide a smallish scope on the handle but with a more solid fit?

#10 OFFLINE   Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Hold My Beer and Watch This!

• Group:Administrator
  • Member ID: 1

Contributor

Posted Nov. 21 2009 - 04:25 PM

On the other hand, it creates a bit of a delimna. If the scope/mount is the culprit then I have to decide whether I want to keep this as a tactical-style rifle or upgrade toward a hunting rifle.

Is there any in-between option that would provide a smallish scope on the handle but with a more solid fit?

Sure are
Here
or
Here if you prefer this type of mount

#11 OFFLINE   hsracer201

hsracer201

Posted Nov. 21 2009 - 04:29 PM

yeah, something like this:

http://www.gunbroker...?Item=146979614

it's designed to fit on the carry handle and snug up tight. it'sa quality rig but it ain't cheap.

i'm not a fan of carry handles. you could always sell just the upper receiver and get one with a flat top and then you could use a standard style scope and mounts.

that, or keep it just as it is and have another AR for tactical/home defense use and another one for hunting purposes. :D

#12 OFFLINE   ipser

ipser

Posted Nov. 21 2009 - 05:46 PM

Thanks everyone for your help! I'll look into these product suggestions and get to work.

#13 OFFLINE   ipser

ipser

Posted Nov. 21 2009 - 05:50 PM

that, or keep it just as it is and have another AR for tactical/home defense use and another one for hunting purposes.

I do have plenty of traditional hunting rifles, this is my only tactical rifle. So I am very hesitant to compromise that for accuracy. If I can get better accuracy without giving up the tactical style that would be my preference.

I'll also do some benchrest shooting with the iron sights and see how that groups.

#14 OFFLINE   Hillbilly Infidel

Hillbilly Infidel

• Member ID: 12,693

Posted Nov. 23 2009 - 09:56 PM

Dito!

Signature:
Posted Image

"From my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston

#15 OFFLINE   Hillbilly Infidel

Hillbilly Infidel

• Member ID: 12,693

Posted Nov. 23 2009 - 10:05 PM

yeah, something like this:

http://www.gunbroker...?Item=146979614

it's designed to fit on the carry handle and snug up tight. it'sa quality rig but it ain't cheap.

i'm not a fan of carry handles. you could always sell just the upper receiver and get one with a flat top and then you could use a standard style scope and mounts.

that, or keep it just as it is and have another AR for tactical/home defense use and another one for hunting purposes. :D

I agree with Stu. I like the flattop uppers, but my BEST ever group was with my Colt Match H-Bar w/carry handle & 4X scope, and the type of mounting system suggested by Stu & MR NWatson99. It was 5 shots (@ 100yds) less than 1/2 MOA and eyes 18 years younger. I strive to this day with better optics and flattops to better that group! Good luck & good shooting.

#16 OFFLINE   side-burn

side-burn

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 14,292

Posted Nov. 24 2009 - 06:37 PM

I do have plenty of traditional hunting rifles, this is my only tactical rifle. So I am very hesitant to compromise that for accuracy. If I can get better accuracy without giving up the tactical style that would be my preference.

I'll also do some benchrest shooting with the iron sights and see how that groups.

A tactical rifle need not have an optic that magnifies. You can get an excellent Aimpoint 9000SC that will serve you well. Also, 1.5" at 50 yards for a tactical rifle is A-OK in my book. So you've already achieved that...

Otherwise get a good 1-4x scope and you would do well at 50 yards and you wouldn't loose any 'tactical' advantage :wink:

Sitting on the bench, shooting you need
  • good/great optic (NightForce, Leupold, Burris are all good and represent a decent price range)
  • trigger (I recommend the best - Giessele)
  • good ammo

#17 OFFLINE   Sgtar15

Sgtar15

EGGS ACT LY!

• Member ID: 329

Posted Nov. 24 2009 - 09:33 PM

Smoother trigger pull
Top line optics
Top Shelf ammunition.

+1 At least get lighter trigger springs. And find some ammo that works well in your rifle.

And, if this is a new rifle to you then it just might be partly you.

No offense, it just takes me a while to REALLY get the best outa a new rifle.

#18 OFFLINE   Sgtar15

Sgtar15

EGGS ACT LY!

Posted Nov. 24 2009 - 09:34 PM

The scope is one of those cheap little 4x20s (Leapers made in China, I think) that attach to the handle with a screw through the hole.

There is your problem right there.

Handle mounted scopes are WAY to high above the bore line and result in crappy groups. Plus you have a cheap pice of junk.

Again, no offense, I Tapco fuzzed my first AK47

#19 OFFLINE   Sgtar15

Sgtar15

EGGS ACT LY!

Posted Nov. 24 2009 - 09:37 PM

And AR15 rifles are design more for assult power against fast multiple targets, not neccessarily for accuracy. While they CAN be very accurate, that is not there main goal.

In other words, you can hunt deer with it, but it prefers "other targets"

#20 OFFLINE   glock10mmman

glock10mmman

10 cent turd

• Member ID: 256

Contributor

Posted Nov. 25 2009 - 12:16 AM

Some AR's without any real work to them can be scary accurate. I traded off a Saber 24" that would only shoot 3/4" at 100. IF it dont shoot 1/2" or better, I dont want it.

Ask Pdog1517 about his AR. That sumbitch is scarey accurate. IT was right up there with my custom 223 bolt gun.

Signature:
When all else fails......Vote from a rooftop

"Nut up or shut up"

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center