So, Who Is At The Bench Today?

• Please log in to reply
9941 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted Mar. 19 2010 - 04:37 PM

Doing some cleaning in the room today. Sorting through bags of brass and combining them to get a bit more space and organization in the 223 brass area. Commercial cases have been segregated by head stamp but I had a couple of boxes of bags combined so it was time to work on them. I have to separate out the commercial vs the military and then the military by state of processing.

Got the big Dillon back from them yesterday when I stopped by their shop. They replaced the springs on it as they were sagging and the bowl just was quivering and not moving the media around. I've had this one since about 1991 so I guess the springs were tired after the thousands and thousands of pieces of brass it had done and always holding a bowl full of media up. They even gave me a new lid and hold down knob. I had not taken it in with the tumbler but once again they went the extra mile.

I finished cleaning up about 400 32 Special cases for a young fellow that I have been helping out. Now we have to size and trim the little buggers so he can have some blasting ammo for his rifle. Those 32's are sure big compared to a 223!! LOL I had to buy a trimmer pilot for the 32's as I have never owned a 32 caliber cartridge gun. I have just about everything now except a 338 or 416 pilot. I use a Forster Trimmer with a power screw driver attachment to trim my lower numbered cases. the 204's, 223's and 6 MM's get trimmed on the Gracey or the Dillon.

So what is going on with you all?

Greg

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#2 OFFLINE   helotaxi

helotaxi

Kilroy was here!

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 5,802

Posted Mar. 19 2010 - 10:25 PM

My caliber change kit came in for my .204. I need to sit down and configure the tool heads for my 9mm and .38 setups and now the .204 as well. I've only had the 550 set up for a week now and I'm already in love. I'm actually considering getting a second one for large primer applications, but I'll probably get a trimmer kit first. The gun show is in town tomorrow so I'll head over looking for some deals on equipment and components. After that, weather permitting, I'm planning on heading to the range to check some developmental loads for the .204 and .223 ARs.

Between work and working on my Master's, I haven't had much time at the bench lately.

Signature:
Guns are like parachutes. When you need one, no substitute will suffice.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 OFFLINE   CRE10

CRE10

Peasant

• Group:E.S. Staff
  • Member ID: 14,379

Posted Mar. 20 2010 - 08:19 AM

I will be tinkering with the new 550. I had a few minor road bumps with getting things set up and feeding good in my .45. I think I've got them smoothed out now so I might switch tool heads and set up the .223. We have about 5 inches of fresh snow so I will be inside more than likely.

Signature:
CRE10
CRETIN

"Don't be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be.
But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price."
Lane Frost

"You mess with the bull, you get the horns."

Armory Minion  :vader:

#4 OFFLINE   KENNYOHIOHUNTER

KENNYOHIOHUNTER

• Member ID: 6,661

Posted Mar. 20 2010 - 10:01 AM

I went shooting until sundown and then the rest of my evening was spent at the bench.
I am almost done with another 2k .223 cases and then i will start on 500 for the AR10 that I got off of a guy at the Armory and looks brand freaking new! (thanks again GL!)
My brother and father asked me to crank out some .243 and 22-250 when i find the time so i may actualy get started on that after sundown today. That will go quickly, the brass is already done just needs primed, filled and bullets pressed in and the dies are already set. Of course then theres the matter of starting the prep work on all of the brass they just dropped off last night.....

Signature:
member:
AR15 Armory
NRA

#5 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Mar. 20 2010 - 12:28 PM

Got the 223 sorted yesterday. Had a BIG tub of 223 that was LC head stamp that had 2X and 1X mixed together so sorted through that so I can get in there and swage the pockets on the 1 X. Maybe this week I'll really get geared up and run all of it through the Dillon trimmer. Since it resizes at the same time it does go fast with the case feed on the 650. I set up a Lee Universal decapper and then size/trim with the Dillon. I'll run it through again using an expander button to open up the case necks. The Dillon does not expand the case as it trims. You can USUALLY slide bullet in but I like to keep my neck tension down a bit from the Dillon plus it lets me load the flat based FMJ's a little easier.

This PM I'll start resizing the 32 Special cases and will probably trim and prime them on Monday. The fellow with the rifle will come over on Tuesday and I'll let him do the powder and bullet seating.

Sunday will be a trip to the range. The 25 WSSM AR is finally getting my attention and I got it broke in two weekends ago. The initial chronograph numbers are lower than the book so I will be trying some different powders and bullets weights. The gun wants to shoot so it will be interesting. So far 100% on the mechanical end of it with feeding and extraction on the OLY upper and magazines doing well.

I know I am way too demanding of my rifles in the accuracy department. I want to see that 1/2 MOA or less in everything I have and i know that in many cases that that is not going to happen. My true varmint type guns will produce it but I need to realize that a big game rifle shooting 3/4 MOA is GTG in 99% of the cases I might get to use it. My 358 Norma will do about 1 1/4" and with that big bruiser that is more than adequate for any elk I'll ever get to shoot at yet I just WANT it smaller!! :nt:

#6 OFFLINE   satchmodog

satchmodog

Founding Brother

• Group:New.Members
  • Member ID: 8,334

Contributor

Posted Mar. 20 2010 - 12:39 PM

Loaded 100 more 9mm for a friend to add to the 100 I did yesterday.

Knocked out another 100 45 rn for myself.

Tried Accurate 5 in both today

Signature:
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die

Incompetent;the Queen looked pissed as if "I can't believe we are entertaining this lawn jockey". ebrfan

shat, I had a girl out shooting last week and she had to pee. I told her to go piss in the grass because I don't want my camper crapper to get full and have to empty it. Cretin

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Know this. No matter who you vote for, the government still gets in.

#7 OFFLINE   helotaxi

helotaxi

Kilroy was here!

• Member ID: 5,802

Posted Mar. 20 2010 - 05:34 PM

The gun show was a bust for reloading stuff. Not that I really expected much different in this little town. 2 rifles in all of the show (and a Python) caught my eye. One was a 10/22 International which was only made one year to the best of my knowledge and the only other one I've seen is the one I own. This one has a green laminate stock as opposed to the walnut that I have. Mine's prettier but the Mannlicher stock makes for a neat looking 10/22 regardless of the stock material.

The other might warrant a trip back tomorrow. It's a 96/17. I'd be getting rid of my Marlin 917 and NEF Handi in .204 to buy it but it would be worth it I think.

Came home and loaded 150rds of .223. Basic plinking/SHTF loads. 55gn FMJBT over 25.5gn of TAC loaded in mixed brass. I might pick up some once fired brass if I go back to the show tomorrow.

#8 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Mar. 24 2010 - 04:09 PM

Finished up the 32 Special yesterday that I had been working on. 370 rounds with the Hornady 170 gr bullet over some H335. They went together easily. Some of the brass had been fired a couple of times so I trimmed everything back to a nominal length for consistency.

Today I cleaned up the work area a tad. Finished combining some of my little lots of brass and ended up with one bucket of Winchester commercial 223 that will hold me for a while!! LOL

I did find some nickeled FC and LC 223 cases. I have an 223 SPS I bought a few years ago that I have not worked with. I might go ahead and use the shiny cases for this one. I have so many 223 rifles and specific loads that I need to figure out a way to make sure that the dedicated load goes with the right rifle.

I've been using magic marker stripes on the cartridge case body but with 3 204's a 20 Tactical, a pair of 6X45 and 3 223 AR's it can get pretty wild on the PD fields if we want to exercise more than two rifles each that day. I could find a good load that shoots OK with all the multiple flavors but then I would be defeating the challenge of tailoring the load to the rifle then, wouldn't I? :nt:

Greg

Edited by GLShooter, Feb. 10 2012 - 07:14 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   CRE10

CRE10

Peasant

Posted Mar. 24 2010 - 04:24 PM

Greg, you have a very good problem! Too many guns and too many bullets! lol

#10 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Mar. 24 2010 - 04:27 PM

Greg, you have a very good problem! Too many guns and too many bullets! lol

It is a good thing I retired 3 years ago. It was hard to work in all the important stuff!!

Greg

#11 OFFLINE   CRE10

CRE10

Peasant

Posted Mar. 24 2010 - 06:29 PM

I can't wait for retirement. Only about 25 years :laugh:

#12 OFFLINE   Sticks

Sticks

• Member ID: 15,103

Posted Mar. 24 2010 - 08:31 PM

I finally got a chance to sit down and work at my loading beach for a few days. Sized 500 rounds of .357. So far I have 250 of them loaded up and boxed. 100 rounds of 125gn, 50 rounds of 140gn and 100 rounds with 158gn bullets. Used a verity of powders from HS-6, 231 and IMR's 4227 with the 158gn bullets. Want to get couple hundred more of the 158gn bullets loaded up this weekend then I'll start in on 45 ACP with cast bullets from badman bullet company and Oregon trail cast bullets all 230gn RN.

Any one have a favorite 45 acp load? I have 650 230gn RN's waiting to be loaded. In the past most of my loads for the 45 sit in the 185gn to 200gn range.

Sticks

#13 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Mar. 25 2010 - 10:21 AM

I finally got a chance to sit down and work at my loading beach for a few days. Sized 500 rounds of .357. So far I have 250 of them loaded up and boxed. 100 rounds of 125gn, 50 rounds of 140gn and 100 rounds with 158gn bullets. Used a verity of powders from HS-6, 231 and IMR's 4227 with the 158gn bullets. Want to get couple hundred more of the 158gn bullets loaded up this weekend then I'll start in on 45 ACP with cast bullets from badman bullet company and Oregon trail cast bullets all 230gn RN.

Any one have a favorite 45 acp load? I have 650 230gn RN's waiting to be loaded. In the past most of my loads for the 45 sit in the 185gn to 200gn range.

Sticks

I like the 4.5 of Bullseye load for my 230 grain 45's. The 230's are used for bowling pins and in the very rare BE match that requires ball ammo.

I use a heavier charge on my 200's for my IPSC stuff. I probably shoot 100 200's to every 230 that I load because the 230's don't offer me anything in the IPSC world that a 200 won't do. I will drop the 200 grain load down to 3.5 for PPC as they provide the accuracy with lower recoil in that venue.

For my 357's I've always liked H110 or a heavy dose of 2400. I load Major 38 Specials with 158 grainer's using 2400. 95% of my 38's are lead and about 95% of my 357's are JSP's or HP's.

Greg

#14 OFFLINE   Sticks

Sticks

Posted Mar. 25 2010 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for the info Greg :thumb:

Sticks

#15 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Mar. 25 2010 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for the info Greg :thumb:

Sticks

Glad to help. Gotta pass on some of this stuff before I croak. :old1:

Greg

#16 OFFLINE   Sticks

Sticks

Posted Mar. 25 2010 - 05:34 PM

I'm sure you have a lot of good years left to live. I certainly appreciate all of the contributions you have given to the reloading forum.

Sticks

#17 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Mar. 27 2010 - 11:53 AM

Well today is time at the other bench -- the cleaning one!! :unsure:

Finally found some 25 caliber brushes and will pick up a patch jag this AM (I forgot it yesterday!!) The 25 WSSM has 40 rounds through it with no cleaning so the coper fouling issue should be interesting. Breaking it in I was getting virtually no jacket deposits.

The barrel is a SS Ultra Match from OLY and so far it appears it wants to shoot. I'm having some horizontal stringing which tells me I am muscling the rifle on the front rest. I may go to a bipod from prone and see how it does tomorrow. The 87 grainer's will be given a try out then. The 100 grain Hornady Interlocks are certainly minute of elk but I am not satisfied with them yet. I did find the lot of 760 that I was using was about 200 fps lower than published data for it but that the H4895 was within 50 FPS of predicted levels. I've always wondered about that can of 760 because the readings in the 243 load I have been using seemed awfully slow before. It shoots well but just too slow. I think I can try some newer stuff and get the velocity up on that one also.

I'll probably clean the 6 PPC AR too since I'll have all the gear out. I'll be using some of the Outers foamy stuff to see how it works.. After I clean it I'll try some Sweets as a final check. I have not use the Outers stuff enough to have any real track record with it so I'll pass on the results as they come in.

Windy here in Phoenix with gusts up to about 20 or so. Temperature is supposed to hit 75 today.

Greg

Edited by GLShooter, Mar. 27 2010 - 11:53 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Mar. 28 2010 - 12:40 PM

Well got the three AR uppers cleaned that I had been using. I use some stuff called Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner. The stuff is pretty odorless. You fill the bore up and let it set for 15-30 minuets. Run a couple of patches down the bore and you are supposedly finished. It takes out all the copper and fouling at one time.

The 25 WSSM upper had been shot about 40 times with no cleaning. It is a SS UM OLY barrel. One dose of cleaning took everything out nice and squeaky clean. I gave it two treatments with nothing showing on #2. I followed the GS stuff with my regular Shooters Choice patches and got nothing extra out.

The 223 CAR upper was given two treatments but treatment #2 was only slightly tinged with blue. It had been shot about 60 times with no cleaning. SC showed no new junk when followed up.

The 6 PPC barrel was used when I got it and I have shot the heck out of it working up load data. It is a SS UM OLY set up. I had probably fired 100 rounds through it without a deep copper clean. It required two full treatments and the third showed just a tinge of blue. For kicks I followed it up with a good dose of Sweets 7.62. Letting it soak for ten minutes showed no additional cooper. A F/U of Shooters Choice showed the bore to be nice and clean of any residual fouling.

All told I am very pleases with the cleaning stuff. Being orderless it would let me clean indoors instead of in the 120 degree stuff I deal with during the summer here.

This afternoon it is off to the range to work on the 87 grain loads in the 25 WSSM. I'll be shooting on the bipod today and see if I can get this horizontal stringing issue worked out. Oddly enough I am seeing none of the first round flier behavior I have seen in a lot of AR's. that is good because as a big game rifle I want it spot on and consistent for a cold bore shot.

Light winds of 5 MPH and temps in the mid-70's today. Not a cloud in the sky. Like Barry Switzer said when he took over the Cowboys, "I am tanned, ready and rested!!" :bcak2:

Greg

Edited by GLShooter, Mar. 28 2010 - 12:40 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   CRE10

CRE10

Peasant

Posted Mar. 28 2010 - 12:50 PM

Good to hear that the Gunslick foaming cleaner works. I bought a can of it about a month ago and haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.

#20 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Apr. 04 2010 - 02:01 PM

Well I went into the reloading room this AM and decided it was time to make some empties!! Dug around and came up with 200 rounds of assorted odd lot stuff in various bullet weights and head stamps. Even got some OLD Geco stuff to shoot!!

I'll be shooting a 9 MM Fire Star I picked up a few months ago. This will be my first round with it. I took out the magazine disconnect right after I got it so it is now a "carry-able" gun if it functions well today. Not any lighter than my Star PD 45 that I carry daily but it is a nice trade off gun.

The wife asked if I had an "extra" 380 laying around and I told her there were a couple I had. Why, I said? "Well, I want to go out and shoot them so I can decide what I want to carry"

She is a competitive shooter and has shot the IPSC Nationals with me and the Womens S&W Invitational so she knows her way around pistols. I'll let her shoot an FI Colt Pony from the 70's and the new Colt 380 Pony DAO from the 90's and see what she likes. I believe the DAO will get the nod as it is a bit bigger in the grip and will be safer to carry in a purse.

I have about 10 boxes of canon fodder and a box of Silver tips that ought to allow for several practice sessions.

85 degrees today and a slight wind, no clouds. Time to make some holes!! :nt:

Greg

Forum Statistics

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (3)
Information Center