Trigger: Geissele SSA 2-stage vs Stag Arms 1-stage

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kilryth

Kilryth

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 19,352

Posted Apr. 13 2010 - 11:11 AM

I know many of you are going to jump and say "Geissele SSA!", but before you do.. know the following:

This is my first AR-15 and I am inexperienced with using two-stage triggers. I am only familiar with stock triggers from: Beretta CX-4 & 92FS (great triggers), Mossberg 500 (ok trigger), Baby Eagle .40 (I despise this trigger), and SIG .45 (good trigger).

I already own an untuned Stag Arms trigger group from the Lower Parts kit, but I have not installed any parts into my stripped lower receiver yet. I like the unnotched hammer in the kit, and I'm not sure if the SSA hammer can be used with the larger firing pins. I want my hammer to be used with the standard M16 BCG's larger firing pin.

I want the trigger group to meet the following standards as much as possible (meeting all of them might be impossible):

as durable or more durable than milspec
as reliable as possible and as safe as possible to prevent bumpfires
a smooth pull that makes me want to pull it again because it's so smooth
quick pulls for rapid-fire
Allows for slower, more precise target acquisition (for recreational range use)

I don't plan to shoot in competitions, but I would like it to be reliable enough to use in a combat environment while being pleasant to fire at the range.

The Geissele SSA sounds unmatched in these areas, but I'm afraid that I'll drop $170 and won't notice the difference from stock.

#2 OFFLINE   SepsiS

SepsiS

Septic Brother

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 16,868

Posted Apr. 13 2010 - 04:14 PM

You will most definitely notice the difference from the stock. I can't wait to spend $170 to get the SSA for myself. I got the chance to shoot one at the range one day and it was awesome compared to my friends stock trigger.

I have not seen 1 negative review about the SSA about not being worth the cost or barely worth it. Everyone so far has loved it. I'm sure there are some people that prefer other triggers, but I'm betting they are far and few in between.

Signature:
Freedom is lost in inches, and won in blood.
Government does not grow by seizing our freedoms, but by assuming our responsibilities." Michael Cloud

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Patriot-104

Patriot-104

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 19,437

Posted Apr. 13 2010 - 10:41 PM

I agree, you will definitely notice a huge difference when you fire a rifle with a Geissele SSA trigger. I have a Geissele SSA trigger in my Noveske and I cannot say enough good things about it.

I did my own experiment with the Geissele SSA trigger. I went to the range with my Noveske and another M4 equipped with a standard one-stage trigger and fired them side by side to compare the triggers. This trigger absolutely exceeded my expectations by far!!!

The Geissele SSA is the best trigger I have ever used. In my opinion it is worth the money.

#4 OFFLINE   The War Wagon

The War Wagon

Mafioso of the Apocalypse

• Member ID: 15,775

Posted Apr. 14 2010 - 07:09 AM

The Geissele is an awesome trigger, but if you're a novice to the AR, why not try the RRA 2-stage, which can be had new as cheap as $87 (I just installed one for that price LAST week on my current build)?

It accomplishes the SAME thing, and quite honestly, after 20 years of trigger pulling on AR15's, it's a TREMENDOUS improvement over the milspec KRUNCHENTRIGGER - but I'm still not sure I could appreciate the difference between it (RRA 2-stage) and the Geissele. :unsure: Save a few bucks, and try the RRA first. If you turn into a world-class AR15 guru, the Geissele will still be waiting for you, when the major mfgs. throw their BEST rifle offerings at you, to run in professional competition shoots. :wink:

Signature:

won-rev-big.jpg

GATHER... YOUR... ARMIES... :gun3:

#5 OFFLINE   KillerMedic

KillerMedic

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 8,689

Posted Apr. 17 2010 - 09:33 PM

I want the trigger group to meet the following standards as much as possible (meeting all of them might be impossible):

as durable or more durable than milspec
as reliable as possible and as safe as possible to prevent bumpfires
a smooth pull that makes me want to pull it again because it's so smooth
quick pulls for rapid-fire
Allows for slower, more precise target acquisition (for recreational range use)

The Geissele will meet all of your requirements above and then some. It was designed to be used in combat rifles in it's full auto version. The semi auto version functions the same, other than not mating with the full auto sear and safety. It takes no time at all to get used to and reap the benefits of a 2 stage trigger. And it is designed to, and succeeds in, not hindering rapid shots needed in combat or CQB style fun shooting. Buy once and pay once and save the rental fee for the lesser triggers you will upgrade from anyway.

Medic...out!

Signature:
US Army Retired.
Assistant Coach, Georgia Junior Highpower Team.
CMP/NRA Service Rifle, F-Class, USPSA Steel Challenge
NRA Life Member.

#6 OFFLINE   ewallover

ewallover

• Member ID: 18,501

Posted Jun. 07 2010 - 08:57 PM

The Geissele will meet all of your requirements above and then some. It was designed to be used in combat rifles in it's full auto version. The semi auto version functions the same, other than not mating with the full auto sear and safety. It takes no time at all to get used to and reap the benefits of a 2 stage trigger. And it is designed to, and succeeds in, not hindering rapid shots needed in combat or CQB style fun shooting. Buy once and pay once and save the rental fee for the lesser triggers you will upgrade from anyway.

Medic...out!

How difficult is the install for this trigger?

#7 OFFLINE   SepsiS

SepsiS

Septic Brother

• Member ID: 16,868

Posted Jun. 08 2010 - 03:12 PM

Installing a trigger is very easy. 2 pins have to come out and the whole assembly comes out. There are videos on youtube that will show you step by step how it's done. It's very easy.

#8 OFFLINE   GaryXD

GaryXD

• Member ID: 96

Posted Jun. 08 2010 - 04:57 PM

I've been seriously considering the SSA for my next build. So far my only experience has been to dry fire one at the Shot Show. Very impressive.

I'm very obsessed with reliability. According to the herd over at TOS the SSA is the ONLY 2-stage to consider if reliability is an issue.

I do have the same question as the OP concerning "quick pulls". I shot a RRA 2-stage once and was overwhelmed by how much the RRA slows down trigger speed. So my question is for those that have shot both the RRA 2-stage and the SSA. Does the SSA allow "quick pulls"?

#9 OFFLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Aug. 05 2010 - 10:35 PM

I've been seriously considering the SSA for my next build. So far my only experience has been to dry fire one at the Shot Show. Very impressive.

I'm very obsessed with reliability. According to the herd over at TOS the SSA is the ONLY 2-stage to consider if reliability is an issue.

I do have the same question as the OP concerning "quick pulls". I shot a RRA 2-stage once and was overwhelmed by how much the RRA slows down trigger speed. So my question is for those that have shot both the RRA 2-stage and the SSA. Does the SSA allow "quick pulls"?

I have a Stag M7L in 6.8 SPC with a Stag two stage trigger. This particular trigger is great, easy take up and smooth light release. I also have a Stag 2L with a single stage stock trigger that is just the opposite. I reached out to Stag to see if they would sell the 2 stage that they use in the 7ML to install in my 2L. The would or could not identify which trigger they use in the 6.8 Hunter. No luck with the manufacturer... I want to have my 5.56 feel and shoot like the 6.8 and the RR 2 stage or the SSA sounds like a good option. Is there anyone who knows what trigger group is actually in the Stag two stage?

#10 OFFLINE   oak1971

oak1971

I'm your Huckleberry

• Member ID: 4,475

Posted Aug. 05 2010 - 10:40 PM

The Geissele is an awesome trigger, but if you're a novice to the AR, why not try the RRA 2-stage, which can be had new as cheap as $87 (I just installed one for that price LAST week on my current build)?

It accomplishes the SAME thing, and quite honestly, after 20 years of trigger pulling on AR15's, it's a TREMENDOUS improvement over the milspec KRUNCHENTRIGGER - but I'm still not sure I could appreciate the difference between it (RRA 2-stage) and the Geissele. :unsure: Save a few bucks, and try the RRA first. If you turn into a world-class AR15 guru, the Geissele will still be waiting for you, when the major mfgs. throw their BEST rifle offerings at you, to run in professional competition shoots. :wink:

A Rock River 2 stage National Match is on my list for my Armalites.

Signature:

I stand with Israel

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. -Bonhoeffer

There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. 
– John Adams

DSCF5298-1-1.jpg

John Harrison/Les Baer Custom

#11 OFFLINE   ford7379trucks

ford7379trucks

• Member ID: 19,711

Posted Aug. 10 2010 - 02:52 AM

Geissele

Signature:
Noveske 14.5" Custom build DD car 7" 556.65 Gessele SSA ACS
Colt SP1
Springfield M1 Garand NM
Springfield Armory XD40Sub compact
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Aug. 11 2010 - 09:17 PM

Geissele

Is this the trigger in the Stag M7?

#13 OFFLINE   The War Wagon

The War Wagon

Mafioso of the Apocalypse

• Member ID: 15,775

Posted Aug. 11 2010 - 09:18 PM

Is this the trigger in the Stag M7?

NOT from the factory! :laugh:

#14 OFFLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Aug. 11 2010 - 09:44 PM

NOT from the factory! :laugh:

Thanks, that is what I thought. I would like to find out what 2 stage trigger is in the 7ML from the factory. I like it and just want to get a similar feel in my 5.56 2L carbine. Stag will not sell the trigger and have been mum on if it is their design and manufacturer or sombody else's product.

#15 OFFLINE   TxWolf172

TxWolf172

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 20,615

Posted Aug. 14 2010 - 10:19 AM

I just installed a Geissle 2 stage in my Bushmaster last night. My first trigger install in an AR. It took all of 7 to 10 minutes and that was taking my time and looking at the way the factory springs were oriented before removing. The trigger kit comes with a slave pin that was very useful when installing the trigger as it keeps the disconnector and trigger together when you push the trigger pin thru the lower. Hammer spring legs go on top of the trigger pin and act as a retainer for it. VERY VERY easy installation if you pay attention to the way things are oriented before you remove the factory stuff. Also comes with some grease to use for breakin and thereafter. This trigger really impressed me after I got it installed. Night and day difference in the factory and the Geissele SSA. LOVE IT!!! worth the $175 price tag.

#16 OFFLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Aug. 17 2010 - 12:02 PM

I just installed a Geissle 2 stage in my Bushmaster last night. My first trigger install in an AR. It took all of 7 to 10 minutes and that was taking my time and looking at the way the factory springs were oriented before removing. The trigger kit comes with a slave pin that was very useful when installing the trigger as it keeps the disconnector and trigger together when you push the trigger pin thru the lower. Hammer spring legs go on top of the trigger pin and act as a retainer for it. VERY VERY easy installation if you pay attention to the way things are oriented before you remove the factory stuff. Also comes with some grease to use for breakin and thereafter. This trigger really impressed me after I got it installed. Night and day difference in the factory and the Geissele SSA. LOVE IT!!! worth the $175 price tag.

Where did you get your SSA and how long did it take to get it into your hands?

#17 OFFLINE   irocracer89

irocracer89

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 20,511

Posted Sep. 12 2010 - 11:27 PM

The best thing about Geissele triggers, they will bend over back-wards if it's not right.. This is my second SSA in my Smith & Wesson, does not seem to work. So Geissele sent me a DMR to try, last time we talked he told me to send one off them back, when I got one off them working. Various phone calls, emails, and on another forum.. So that extra 110% you get in service, is a plus for me..

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center