• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FMJ556

FMJ556

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 13,791

Posted Jun. 01 2010 - 11:20 AM

I'm thinking of using this barrel in the near future... but need some details:

Is their polygonal rifling similar to Noveske or similar to HK in profile?

Also, a 5 groove and a 3 groove option are offered on some barrels.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of one vs the other.

Thanks

#2 OFFLINE   dave2184

dave2184

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 73

Posted Jun. 01 2010 - 02:17 PM

The idea behind the poly rifleing is less drag on the bullet due to less surface area of the rifleing cutting into the jacket. Instead of a square notch with 2 points cutting into it you have a rounded hump making one smooth low profile surface, applying lower pressure at that same point.

Differences in 5 groove vs 3 groove is even less contact points and less drag. This supposedly makes for a slight increase in accuracy.

Which of those two brands thier rifleing profile is closest too I couldn't tell you, someone else my be more knowlegable on this.

I can give you my own personal experience with Poly vs standard rifleing.
My 14.5" M4gery with standard rifleing and chrone lined chamber and bore at 100yds ,open sights, off the bench no bipod or bags I get about 1.5-2" shot groups.

My 7.5" pistol with a stainless steel 5 groove poly rifled barrel at 100yds, open sights, off the bench no bipod or bags gets the same size shot groups. Admitedly with less Fps and power due to barrel length but I was suprised that it retained as much accuracy and I can only assume this is due to the heavier stiffer stainless barrel and it's poly rifleing.

Thats about all I can give you on the subject I hope at least something was usefull.

Edited by dave2184, Jun. 01 2010 - 02:26 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Black Hole Weaponry

Black Hole Weaponry

• Group:Armory Sponsor
  • Member ID: 13,054

Posted Jun. 01 2010 - 02:27 PM

Dave,

Thanks for the help.

Here is 3 groove v's 5 groove in a nut shell.

We offer both versions on our barrels to give the shooter more options. We have found that poly rifling is much more accurate than the standard Enfield rifling. This arc shaped rifling has long been held in very high regard for its accuracy, increased velocity, reduced gas cutting and ease of cleaning.

5 groove is more budget priced for the shooter and is more of a general form of rifling for shorter barrels to keep costs down. 5 groove is accurate in its self but designed for 16" and under where long range precision shooting wont be happening.

3 groove is more of a match style of rifling for SPR and precision weapons. 18" and higher where accuracy is a must. 3 groove takes more time in producing, thus upping the price 20 dollars.

5 groove is still being offered due to the requests we get for it. If I had my choice, I would go with a 3 groove as I am a match shooter and all but 2 of my AR's are set up for 800 yard plus shooting.

Hope this helps explain it :old1:

BHW Staff

Edited by blackhole weaponry, Jun. 01 2010 - 02:29 PM.

Signature:
Full_Banner_wide.jpg

#4 OFFLINE   Addax

Addax

ADDAX AR15 RIFLES AND UPPERS

• Member ID: 6,300

Posted Jun. 02 2010 - 01:14 AM

I concur with BHW, go with the Poly 3 configuration.

I have been using some of the BHW Poly 3 barrels on some of my custom upper builds, including one for a new upper we are building for our 3 gun shooter we sponsor.

The BHW barrels we have used have been Oustanding!

Chris

Signature:

Addax%203.gif

ADDAX TACTICAL

WWW.ADDAXTACTICAL.COM

SALES@ADDAXTACTICAL.COM

(818) 361-5008

1431 TRUMAN ST.
UNIT E
SAN FERNANDO, CA 91340

#5 OFFLINE   glock10mmman

glock10mmman

10 cent turd

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 256

Contributor

Posted Jun. 02 2010 - 01:18 AM

I concur with BHW, go with the Poly 3 configuration.

I have been using some of the BHW Poly 3 barrels on some of my custom upper builds, including one for a new upper we are building for our 3 gun shooter we sponsor.

The BHW barrels we have used have been Oustanding!

Chris

Good to hear Chris.

BTW offer still stands on the ammo for your 3 gun guy!

Signature:
When all else fails......Vote from a rooftop

"Nut up or shut up"

#6 OFFLINE   Addax

Addax

ADDAX AR15 RIFLES AND UPPERS

• Member ID: 6,300

Posted Jun. 02 2010 - 01:31 AM

Good to hear Chris.

BTW offer still stands on the ammo for your 3 gun guy!

I will be talking to you about that this week.

Signature:

Addax%203.gif

ADDAX TACTICAL

WWW.ADDAXTACTICAL.COM

SALES@ADDAXTACTICAL.COM

(818) 361-5008

1431 TRUMAN ST.
UNIT E
SAN FERNANDO, CA 91340

#7 OFFLINE   FMJ556

FMJ556

Posted Jun. 02 2010 - 06:59 AM

Thanks for the detailed explanation.is it possible to get a 3 groove 16" midlength barrel ? (The web site only lists a 5 groove). It's not an SPR barrel, but since the difference in machining costs is just $20, I figure why not get it :)
Is any special break in needed for these barrels ?

Thanks.

Dave,

Thanks for the help.

Here is 3 groove v's 5 groove in a nut shell.

We offer both versions on our barrels to give the shooter more options. We have found that poly rifling is much more accurate than the standard Enfield rifling. This arc shaped rifling has long been held in very high regard for its accuracy, increased velocity, reduced gas cutting and ease of cleaning.

5 groove is more budget priced for the shooter and is more of a general form of rifling for shorter barrels to keep costs down. 5 groove is accurate in its self but designed for 16" and under where long range precision shooting wont be happening.

3 groove is more of a match style of rifling for SPR and precision weapons. 18" and higher where accuracy is a must. 3 groove takes more time in producing, thus upping the price 20 dollars.

5 groove is still being offered due to the requests we get for it. If I had my choice, I would go with a 3 groove as I am a match shooter and all but 2 of my AR's are set up for 800 yard plus shooting.

Hope this helps explain it :old1:

BHW Staff

#8 OFFLINE   Black Hole Weaponry

Black Hole Weaponry

Posted Jun. 02 2010 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for the detailed explanation.is it possible to get a 3 groove 16" midlength barrel ? (The web site only lists a 5 groove). It's not an SPR barrel, but since the difference in machining costs is just $20, I figure why not get it :)
Is any special break in needed for these barrels ?

Thanks.

Sure we can do that. Sorry about the confusion, we are still having some trouble with our website. That is another thing we need to fix. Might be best to give Gale a call 1-509-793-5374 and she will get you set up. Be sure to tell her that you are a member of the armory. She will verify it and give you a 10% discount on your order.

Barrel break in gets about as heated as the old 9mm v's 45 debate. People will tell you either but here is the skinny on barrel break in. I do it with all my personal barrels, from rifles to shotguns to handguns, but that was how I was taught to do it. I have gotten some scary accurate groups from my barrels. It can't hurt the barrels at all, so why not. Plus I am superstitious when it come to this stuff, so I do the same break break in procedure each time.

Thanks
BHW Staff

Signature:
Full_Banner_wide.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   FMJ556

FMJ556

Posted Jun. 02 2010 - 12:02 PM

Thanks, I'll give Gale a call. Do you have pictures of the polygonal bore available ? Would be cool to see the 5/3 groove poly rifling. One last question: do these barrels have M4 feed ramps ?

Sure we can do that. Sorry about the confusion, we are still having some trouble with our website. That is another thing we need to fix. Might be best to give Gale a call 1-509-793-5374 and she will get you set up. Be sure to tell her that you are a member of the armory. She will verify it and give you a 10% discount on your order.

Barrel break in gets about as heated as the old 9mm v's 45 debate. People will tell you either but here is the skinny on barrel break in. I do it with all my personal barrels, from rifles to shotguns to handguns, but that was how I was taught to do it. I have gotten some scary accurate groups from my barrels. It can't hurt the barrels at all, so why not. Plus I am superstitious when it come to this stuff, so I do the same break break in procedure each time.

Thanks
BHW Staff

Edited by FMJ556, Jun. 02 2010 - 12:37 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   Black Hole Weaponry

Black Hole Weaponry

Posted Jun. 02 2010 - 02:37 PM

Thanks, I'll give Gale a call. Do you have pictures of the polygonal bore available ? Would be cool to see the 5/3 groove poly rifling. One last question: do these barrels have M4 feed ramps ?

Yes all of our barrels have M4 ramps.

I don't think I have pictures on hand of them. I will check and see though.

BHW Staff

Signature:
Full_Banner_wide.jpg

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center