• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Sarg's Playtoy......

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 750

Posted Jun. 27 2010 - 03:25 PM

Since I've never used anything but a TD VFG that was to long I've been looking around & am trying to figure out what's what in the world of forearm accessory's....

What's the difference between a VFG, a Hand Stop and a Angled Fore-Grip & what do they do that the others do not.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Signature:
In the end we're all just chalk lines on concrete only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that I'm not.

#2 OFFLINE   AnonymousD

AnonymousD

• Member ID: 6,830

Posted Jun. 27 2010 - 03:31 PM

I prefer the stubby VFG. I had an AFG and a handstop from ERGO. The Handstop needed some rounding off, it had so,e sharp edges that bit into your hands. The AFG was cool, but I found I couldnt pull the gun into my shoulder as good. So I went back to the VFG. More comfortable than any of the three.

#3 OFFLINE   The War Wagon

The War Wagon

Mafioso of the Apocalypse

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 15,775

Posted Jun. 27 2010 - 04:00 PM

I found the VFG promoted ye olde 'chokin' da' chicken' hold, which - is not without its merits... :shifty: ... but isn't EXACTLY the BEST hold for a carbine. So I've gone to the AFG, and have found myself a more accurate shooter, because it promotes a better grip on the rifle itself. :thumb:

Signature:

won-rev-big.jpg

GATHER... YOUR... ARMIES... :gun3:

#4 OFFLINE   skerky10mm

skerky10mm

The Moose

• Member ID: 16,241

Posted Jun. 27 2010 - 06:53 PM

The hand stops look like they would be a pain seat your hand in to on the fly (as in putting down the rifle and having to pick back up and re-aiming). For the other two for me after some shooting the vfg would offer some space away from the heat being thrown off the barrel and the now heated forearm. I will be getting the afg but if it does not float my boat they I am getting a troy battle grip (stubby). Just my two cents

Edited by skerky10mm, Jun. 27 2010 - 07:05 PM.

Signature:
zombie moose scare the crap out of me!

#5 ONLINE   DMViergever

DMViergever

I look cute in white sunglasses.

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 15,371

Contributor

Posted Jun. 27 2010 - 07:08 PM

The AFG is supposed to keep your thumb forward on the barrel or rail. It is a lot like the forward thumbs pistol grip method. You can use a vertical grip in the same fashion. As long as you got a high hand grip it works the same. If you just "choke the chicken" with a forward grip the pressure you are putting on it from gripping makes you kind of sway or rotate the gun. I witnessed a fella doing that first hand today until the instructor changed his grip up. I shot my gun first with an AFG then another fellas with just a vert grip but placed my hand a lot like what you see I think, Jeff Franz and NCshooter maybe?, doing.

Signature:

#6 OFFLINE   NCShooter

NCShooter

• Member ID: 18,547

Posted Jun. 27 2010 - 08:09 PM

I had an AFG and liked it... at first. It is without a doubt easier on your wrist than using an aggressive support hand grip on a bare rail. However, I found that I could not pull the rifle into my body with the AFG, and that the grip - while comfortable - was not sufficiently strong to control muzzle rise during 4 and 5 shot strings.

I now have a Magpul RVG installed on my rail. I have it set up behind two textured XTM panels that I've positioned so that the leading edge of the foremost panel is about a 1/2" from the end of my rail. Typically I will reach in front of the RVG (used here as a gross reference point on the rail) and index the first finger of my support hand against the leading edge of that foremost XTM panel. This arrangement allows me to achieve a very aggressive support hand grip on a virtually bare rail and exert strong backward pressure on the XTM panels in order to tuck the rifle in tight to my chest for controlled shot strings. The thumb of my support hand is positioned along the rail, in line with to bore and pointing directly at the target (much like a proper support hand grip on a pistol).

That's about the best description I can give of what works for me. In short, I'd skip the AFG - although I have one I'll cut you a deal on if you want it - and get used to grabbing a bare rail with your support hand. If you take the time to strengthen and stretch your wrist and forearm, I think you'll find that an aggressive grip on the rail itself is very effective. VFGs (like the Magpul RVG) are nice, but their best use is as a reference point on an otherwise uncluttered rail. YMMV.

NCS

EDIT: For reference, the grip I'm using in my avatar photo is a true "thumb break" grip with a VFG. This is a comfortable grip, but is not nearly as a effective as the more aggressive grip I tried to describe above. Click here for video of Jeff Franz (Aesir Training) using a grip very similar to the one I've adopted and described above. The video also gives you a look at how the AFG worked on my rifle.

Edited by NCShooter, Jun. 27 2010 - 08:34 PM.

Signature:
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

Become the attack.

Here is how the sheep and the sheepdog think differently. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. After the attacks on September 11, 2001, most of the sheep, that is, most citizens in America said, "Thank God I wasn't on one of those planes." The sheepdogs, the warriors, said, "Dear God, I wish I could have been on one of those planes. Maybe I could have made a difference." When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference. - Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

The answer to lethal violence - or the threat of lethal violence - is counter violence. This goes contrary to what a number of the kinder, gentler people would have you belive, but it is nonetheless a fact. - Col. Jeff Cooper

#7 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 6,696

Contributor

Posted Jun. 27 2010 - 09:14 PM

I run the AFG and I actually find I get more control and more comfort using it that a VFG. It also does not over extend my wrist.

Signature:
Posted Image

DUSTOFF IS “REQUEST PRESENT POSITION DEPARTURE FOR URGENT 9-LINE”

If I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me! -- Francois De La Rochefoucauld

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Sarg's Playtoy......

• Member ID: 750

Posted Jun. 27 2010 - 09:28 PM

To my unemdjacuated eye the hand stop and the AFG bot do about the same thing, only the hand stop looks like you could set it up to pull back into your shoulder more...

#9 OFFLINE   NCShooter

NCShooter

Posted Jun. 27 2010 - 09:36 PM

It also does not over extend my wrist.

The AFG is an excellent for a delicate wrist...

#10 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Contributor

Posted Jun. 27 2010 - 09:37 PM

To my unemdjacuated eye the hand stop and the AFG bot do about the same thing, only the hand stop looks like you could set it up to pull back into your shoulder more...

No the afg actually changes the angle of the grip. The hand stop si really no more than a marker. Streach out your wrist and try to apply leverage with the blade of the hand. You dont get a lot. This is the same principle applied with a VFG if you are using a very aggressive thumb along and over the bore. The AFG actually give a wedge for you to pull back on. Teh AFG take sthe hand brake hold and simply moves it out of a 90 degree angle and puts it on a flat surface.

#11 OFFLINE   Ithaqua

Ithaqua

Ahh to be 24 with but 6 years of memories

• Member ID: 13,479

Posted Jun. 27 2010 - 09:38 PM

I stippled my AFG so it's much easier now to pull it into your shoulder.

Kadin

Signature:

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

Survivor of 3x Open Heart Surgeries.
Ages: 4, 17, 18

As useful as a monkey in a ninja costume.

TEDxAmsterdam 2011 - General Peter van Uhm

#12 OFFLINE   NCShooter

NCShooter

Posted Jun. 27 2010 - 09:48 PM

The AFG is an excellent for a delicate wrist...

Really, Red? I go out of my way to provoke you, and you ignore me in front of EVERYONE!?!?

Dirty pool, old man...

#13 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Contributor

Posted Jun. 27 2010 - 09:52 PM

Really, Red? I go out of my way to provoke you, and you ignore me in front of EVERYONE!?!?

Dirty pool, old man...

Guess I was typing when you poped that up and ddid not catch it. I can assure you I have a very stong wrist. I am married!! :sad:

#14 ONLINE   DMViergever

DMViergever

I look cute in white sunglasses.

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 15,371

Contributor

Posted Jun. 27 2010 - 09:58 PM

Guess I was typing when you poped that up and ddid not catch it. I can assure you I have a very stong wrist. I am married!! :sad:

I've noticed hitting my wife has done that too....O that's not what you meant is it?

#15 OFFLINE   NCShooter

NCShooter

Posted Jun. 27 2010 - 10:02 PM

I'll see your :sad: and raise you a :sick:

EDIT: Sorry for the blatant thread hijack. That one's on me, Rampy.

Any more thoughts on the OP?

Edited by NCShooter, Jun. 27 2010 - 10:06 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   KellyTTE

KellyTTE

• Member ID: 15,448

Posted Jun. 27 2010 - 10:51 PM

Hand stop if I use anything.

Signature:

--

#17 OFFLINE   Lucas_061287

Lucas_061287

• Member ID: 12,426

Posted Jun. 28 2010 - 01:28 AM

Finally got to feel an AFG on a rifle this weekend- I like it!

Signature:
Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   Duster407

Duster407

• Member ID: 18,498

Posted Jun. 28 2010 - 09:23 AM

I have the Magpul RVG that I use with a thumb break grip. Works well for me.

Edited by Duster407, Jun. 28 2010 - 09:24 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   Jeff Franz

Jeff Franz

• Group:Armory Sponsor
  • Member ID: 14,910

Posted Jun. 28 2010 - 09:23 AM

It's very shooter dependent. I like the AFG, but shoot better using a Larue stubby and a high thumb break. Others find the AFG "more better" for accomplishing this grip. I like the size and slickness of a handstop, but have a hard time getting my hand in the same spot under pressure. Kelly runs it very well. My best advice, and I know it's not what you want to hear, is try each and evaluate it on its merits. But give each an honest run, not "I ran it for 30 minutes at the range and it sucked."

Signature:

aesiravatar300.jpg
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.

www.aesirtraining.com

#20 OFFLINE   BadKarma

BadKarma

• Member ID: 6,792

Posted Jun. 28 2010 - 09:30 AM

I dont use any of them. I just grab the front of the magwell. Just have to remember on a AK to keep my thumb down.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center