8 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 6,696

Contributor

Posted Jan. 26 2011 - 11:08 AM

Well after our 4th or 5th snowstorm (yea 2-3 inches is a snow storm here) this winter I had an idea this morning. I have a 4WD 4 wheeler. I have a 15 gallon sprayer tank that I can put on the back rack. Around here they normally use salt for bridges and overpasses and just apply a salty brine to the rest of the roads. My drive way is 100 yards and all uphill. Too add I am on the shady side of the hill and have several trees in the front yard so the drive way stays shaded for the most part. This of course delays the time for the ice and snow in my driveway melting away.

So what I am thinking about prepairing for next year (hopefully I wont need it again this year) is a brine I can put down on the driveway the night before or quickly the morning after the snow to help out a little. I realize that a brine will only do so much and factors such as rain can wash it away. How much salt would I need to disolve in say 10 gallons of water and what would be the best type to use in order to prevent the nozzles from clogging. Or is there a liquid concentrate I could just add to water to do the same thing. I know I cant just use antifreeze though there are times I have been tempted to.

Signature:
Posted Image

DUSTOFF IS “REQUEST PRESENT POSITION DEPARTURE FOR URGENT 9-LINE”

If I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me! -- Francois De La Rochefoucauld

Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   Lead_Farmer

Lead_Farmer

Jacketed Jacketed Tracer

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 15,801

Posted Jan. 26 2011 - 11:12 AM

In oregon they use a reddish rock that seems to be really effective even against rain.

Signature:
Blood, Sweat, and Tears.

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
Edmund Burke

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

()()
( '.')
o( ()()

#3 OFFLINE   CRE10

CRE10

Touch it and you die!

• Group:E.S. Staff
  • Member ID: 14,379

Posted Jan. 26 2011 - 11:35 AM

In oregon they use a reddish rock that seems to be really effective even against rain.

Probably haydite.

Signature:
CRE10
CRETIN

"Don't be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be.
But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price."
Lane Frost

"You mess with the bull, you get the horns."

Armory Minion  :vader:

#4 OFFLINE   Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Hold My Beer and Watch This!

• Group:Administrator
  • Member ID: 1

Contributor

Posted Jan. 26 2011 - 12:00 PM

Rock salt soaking in water for a few weeks will make a nice sprayable ice deterent.

Signature:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed
Second Amendment to the US Constitution December 15th 1791

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ... God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion; what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.
Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

#5 OFFLINE   Nest

Nest

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 16,805

Posted Jan. 26 2011 - 02:40 PM

Have you checked a Co-op or Tractor Supply for a brine mixture or ingredients? I know in Davidson County they are putting beet juice in the brine to help it work better. Not sure how it helps, but appearantly it does. So there may be a little bit more complex recipe to have a more effective brine, and also may keep it from clogging the nozzles.

#6 ONLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted Jan. 26 2011 - 04:03 PM

I live the life. I have the drive way from hell.

First input is know, a brine solution washes away. As the snow or ice melts, it dilutes and washes away the brine solution. Odds are you put down brine solution the night before, it will be gone by morning and though not as thick, the problem still there. Its is however a good solution for after it snows or freezes. Rock salt on the other hand, as the snow or ice melts it mixes with the salt and become brine, so it lasts much much longer.

As for techniques, Niel nailed it, actually for both rock salt and brine. Get yourself a plastic garbage can and chuck the salt in there. If you want brine, fill it with water after the salt. Then its ready for winter. Brine solution, say one 40lb bag of salt, you just keep adding water after you take some out. The advantage of brine, is just that. Though it doesn't last for crap on the road, its goes a long way in storage. That's why we use it here in TN. We don't store a a lot of salt so what we do we make last by doing brine.

I normally keep 80lbs of rock salt. That sure wasn't enough this year and I'm on my second 80lbs, actually 120lbs. You see you use the garbage can method, it doesn't matter if it snows this season or next. You have it ready to go.

My method is simple, I do one lane, double tire width, down my driveway from hell on the inside of the curve side. That's your traction wheel side on a two wheal drive. On our usual, snows tonight gone tomorrow, that gets us out easy. On longer snows, that afternoon I'll snow shovel the other tire track and lay salt.

I'd need a plow on my ATV or truck to do my entire drive and the once in ten years this crap happens doesn't justify that. The 1-2 track method works pretty well.

Tj

#7 ONLINE   EBRFAN

EBRFAN

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 20,679

Posted Jan. 26 2011 - 04:06 PM

pickle juice or my favorite: flame thrower

Edited by EBRFAN, Jan. 26 2011 - 04:07 PM.

Signature:
the Second Amendment wasn’t designed to protect duck hunters

ask a Native American if you can trust the federal government

#8 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 6,696

Contributor

Posted Jan. 26 2011 - 04:24 PM

I live the life. I have the drive way from hell.

First input is know, a brine solution washes away. As the snow or ice melts, it dilutes and washes away the brine solution. Odds are you put down brine solution the night before, it will be gone by morning and though not as thick, the problem still there. Its is however a good solution for after it snows or freezes. Rock salt on the other hand, as the snow or ice melts it mixes with the salt and become brine, so it lasts much much longer.

As for techniques, Niel nailed it, actually for both rock salt and brine. Get yourself a plastic garbage can and chuck the salt in there. If you want brine, fill it with water after the salt. Then its ready for winter. Brine solution, say one 40lb bag of salt, you just keep adding water after you take some out. The advantage of brine, is just that. Though it doesn't last for crap on the road, its goes a long way in storage. That's why we use it here in TN. We don't store a a lot of salt so what we do we make last by doing brine.

I normally keep 80lbs of rock salt. That sure wasn't enough this year and I'm on my second 80lbs, actually 120lbs. You see you use the garbage can method, it doesn't matter if it snows this season or next. You have it ready to go.

My method is simple, I do one lane, double tire width, down my driveway from hell on the inside of the curve side. That's your traction wheel side on a two wheal drive. On our usual, snows tonight gone tomorrow, that gets us out easy. On longer snows, that afternoon I'll snow shovel the other tire track and lay salt.

I'd need a plow on my ATV or truck to do my entire drive and the once in ten years this crap happens doesn't justify that. The 1-2 track method works pretty well.

Tj

All I really need is the one track. but the nozzels on my sprayer would really do a car width unless I plugged one side. No big deal I can adjust them in to doule cover a center track. It takes roughly 20 minutes to run it dry if it has all 15 gallons in it. I need to go about 100 yards with it and if I am in a good mood I'll do the hill at the end of the street (maybe another 50 yards) and everybody in the neighborhood would be able to get to the main road. I am somewhat limited on space so what I was really looking for is something I could concentrate say to 5 gallons and then add 5 gallons of water straight from the tap to it. Lets say I get a regular USGI 5 GAL Jerry can, If I take a huge chunck of rock salt and get it in the can will enough of it disolve into that 4.5 gallons of water to be effective when diluted with another 5?

The snows here come one of 2 ways generally. It starts raining first and does that for several hours then starts snowing (what happened last night) or it starts with a snow (oddly enough this normally starts in the afternoon). I understand when it rains first, I will have to apply the salt water after the snow has started and maybe even after it has started to stick to the driveway. No big deal. I can do that in the morning and maybe only be 30-60 minutes late for work. Like you alot of snow here is gone in less than 24 hours and worse case 3 maybe 4 days but only effects the road the first 2 days. My driveways seems to be the last one to thaw out because of my position and the amount of shade that covers is.

#9 OFFLINE   satchmodog

satchmodog

Founding Brother

• Group:New.Members
  • Member ID: 8,334

Contributor

Posted Jan. 26 2011 - 04:30 PM

I had a semi of stone dumped on my driveway last year and i am ordering another this spring. I got sick pf the icy blacktop and any ruts just formed little skating rinks. The stone is nice. It freezes together with the snow and packs nicely, but also gives great traction. Snowblower lifts very little of it

Signature:
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die

Incompetent;the Queen looked pissed as if "I can't believe we are entertaining this lawn jockey". ebrfan

shat, I had a girl out shooting last week and she had to pee. I told her to go piss in the grass because I don't want my camper crapper to get full and have to empty it. Cretin

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Know this. No matter who you vote for, the government still gets in.

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center