AR15Armory Announcements

Photo

How do you change from a free floating handguard to non floating?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ggrawunder

Ggrawunder

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 22,609

Posted Mar. 02 2011 - 01:48 PM

I purchased a 450 bushmaster upper that I want to switch out the boring free floating tube for a quad rail. First off does any one know the "length" of the hand guard, ie mid, carbine..?
I understand a free floater is more accurate, but for my purposes that isn't too big an issue. What parts do I need to swap from free float to non floating? The upper has picatanny front block, so how is it held in place? Thanks for the help, new at assembling upper!

Signature:
Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   saltydawg

saltydawg

The Coonass Hillbilly

• Member ID: 14,928

Posted Mar. 02 2011 - 01:54 PM

I purchased a 450 bushmaster upper that I want to switch out the boring free floating tube for a quad rail. First off does any one know the "length" of the hand guard, ie mid, carbine..?
I understand a free floater is more accurate, but for my purposes that isn't too big an issue. What parts do I need to swap from free float to non floating? The upper has picatanny front block, so how is it held in place? Thanks for the help, new at assembling upper!

I have a six railed freefloated... Someone else will be along shortly....

And Welcome aboard!!!

Signature:
Yep, most definitely natural cause...aggravated stupidity resulting in a fatal dose of accelerated lead poisoning......

"awww, don't get your bollocks in a twist"

Obama: The turd that wouldn't flush.

#3 OFFLINE   jchtrh

jchtrh

"Tribesman"

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 5,622

Contributor

Posted Mar. 02 2011 - 01:57 PM

Your upper has a Carbine length handguard. The block is held in place with set screws, very easy to come off. I would be more concerned with the crush washer that you will need to replace on the muzzle brake. You can order these from Bushmaster.

Which drop in rail do you plan on using?

Also when changing out to a standard handguard, you will need the delta ring assembly, barrel nut and endcap in addition to the handguards.

This does not include the tools that you will need for the swap.

Signature:
“If you are going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy"
Martin Luther King Jr.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
George Carlin

My State is BIGGER than yours!

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

#4 OFFLINE   rbakis

rbakis

• Member ID: 20,640

Posted Mar. 02 2011 - 02:21 PM

It may be worth trying a "bolt-on" rail kit before investing in a new quad rail.

http://www.bravocomp...on-p/jptr-l.htm

Signature:
'We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." --George Orwell

#5 OFFLINE   Etho

Etho

The Donut Man

• Group:New.Members
  • Member ID: 84

Posted Mar. 02 2011 - 03:16 PM

If you're wanting to switch to a standard non floating handguard you would need a end cap, delta ring, weld spring and barrel nut. Pull the barrel off put delta ring, weld spring and handguard cap in place. You would need a FSB of some sort because that is what the handguard cap rest against. You would also need crush washer or peel washer to replace the one on the brake/suppressor as you cannot reuse them. You'd need an upper receiver block, punches for the taper pins, crows foot for the barrel nut or an armorers wrench, torque wrench. Go/No Go gauges.

It would be much easier to just add rails to the tube or buy some free floating rails from the same company that makes the tube as the barrel nuts are likely the same. If you can buy rails that can use the same barrel nut as the tube then it's just a matter of un screwing the tube and screwing the rails in place depending on which rails you buy.

Edited by Etho, Mar. 02 2011 - 03:17 PM.

Signature:
"Is that the come back and kick me whistle?" Roger Smith

#6 OFFLINE   Ggrawunder

Ggrawunder

Posted Mar. 02 2011 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for all the help, sounds like quad rail floating is the way to go

#7 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

• Group:E.S. Staff
  • Member ID: 17,756

Posted Mar. 03 2011 - 12:39 AM

Thanks for all the help, sounds like quad rail floating is the way to go

Best of BOTH worlds! :thumb:

Signature:

Purpose should drive the Purchase......

The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#8 OFFLINE   Ggrawunder

Ggrawunder

Posted Mar. 03 2011 - 01:58 AM

Ya thanks! Any recommendations?

#9 OFFLINE   Etho

Etho

The Donut Man

• Group:New.Members
  • Member ID: 84

Posted Mar. 03 2011 - 02:01 AM

How much are you wanting to spend? On the lower end of good is Yankee Hill and Midwest, the high end is Larue, Noveske, Daniel Defense and Troy.

I wouldn't spend less than $100 on rails whatever you buy. Yankee Hill is the cheapest I buy.

#10 OFFLINE   Ggrawunder

Ggrawunder

Posted Mar. 03 2011 - 11:56 AM

What is the difference between the $50 and $300 guards? Better material, lighter weight?

#11 OFFLINE   AnonymousD

AnonymousD

• Member ID: 6,830

Posted Mar. 03 2011 - 12:05 PM

What is the difference between the $50 and $300 guards? Better material, lighter weight?

Better metal, better finish, more intricate machining, which means lighter rails.

I have some 11 inch Troy TRX rails Im trying to get rid of. They rails are brand new. Let me know if you are interested. If you want the best, get a Daniel Defense Lite rail. Nothing can beat them IMHO.

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center