Thank you guys for your warm welcome and such a great response. I will try to clarify my original post.
Why SIG vs AR?
I am so new to the whole rifle thing that I am short on intellectual explanations. If you forgive my attempt at humor:
I like my rifles like I like my women - SEXY!
SIG is just a very sweet looking design. The other one I just found is FNH SCAR. I guess there is some controversy as to what will actually reach the civilian market, but the platform looks AWESOME.
I'd like to look at the AR, but should I then consider the AK? Breakage is a concern, as I am not mechanically inclined. Here are the factors that are playing into the consideration:
* The weapon would be used 95% at the range and may be 5% hunting hogs :-).
* Average ammo consumption 300-500 rounds per month
* Geoloc: Texas
* Care: 3-4 times a year
* Additional equipment considered: EoTech with FTS mag and may be a Lasermax Unimax Riflepack (there are just too many toys out there)
Basically, I am a couch commando... what can I say.
If you guys were going to do a comparison between different platforms - what criteria would you consider:
1) Overall cost
2) Operational mechanics (system type)
3) Breakage frequency
4) Availability of spare parts
5) Resale value
6) Maintenance costs?
7) Ammo type/cost?
What significant factors should I look at?
I appreciate all your help.