Hello AR15A, I'm new to the forums, relatively new to the AR15 platform, and entirely new to the AR10/AR10-style platform. I think this is the right place to put this, I didn't see a "noob" forum for introductions.
This might get a little long winded, so I'll include a TL;DR at the bottom
Late last year I was thinking of buying an AR15; I'd been interested in semi-auto rifles for some time, but didn't have the knowledge or the experience to differentiate one from another. So, after some time (months) Googling and reading various AR-related forums, I felt I'd learned enough to try and put my own together instead of buying one off the shelf. I wasn't confident enough to try putting the upper together on my first try, so I went with a complete upper, and bought a stripped lower. I ended up building the following:
- Noveske/VLTOR MUR Upper, 14.5" Noveske Afghan Poly Barrel w/ 13.5" NSR, pinned Battlecomp 1.5 & Gunfighter CH Mod 4
- Noveske Gen 1 lower
- DD LPK (kit was ~$99, I was very surprised at how much I liked the trigger)
- VLTOR EMOD stock kit
- Troy Tritium BUIS (M4 style front post)
- TangoDown full-size QD VFG
- Aimpoint PRO
- Larue A-PEG grip and sling
- Other misc Noveske furniture like Keymod/QD sling attachment, pivot/takedown pins, and QD end-plate
I had a blast building that rifle, and I am very happy with how it shoots. I haven't been able to take it out past 100 yards but it's been shooting sub-moa when I've done my part. It definitely shoots FAR better than I do, and will likely continue to do so for some time.
So, after becoming accustomed to the rifle, I started feeling the want of a larger caliber. The Noveske is phenomenal, little to no recoil/muzzle climb, and it's very easy to use, but I started looking at the AR-10 style rifles. I've done a good amount of reading, and come up with a build list that I'm happy to share with you all. Please feel free to critique as you see fit:
- Mega MATEN upper/lower ambi combo /w Maten MKM keymod extended rifle length handguard
- Black Hole Weaponry 18" 308B Match Grade Bull Profile Rifle Length Gas System, .936 Gas Block - 1x11 twist, threaded, no fluting
- SLR Sentry 9 adjustable gas block + SLR rifle length gas tube
- Surefire Muzzle Break
- Magpul PRS w/ standard A2 buffer tube, Slash Heavy rifle length buffer + spring
- JP .308 lightweight full BCG (JPBC-4A)
- DD LPK
So far that's it. I'll definitely add glass, BUIS and a bipod at some point, but to start I'll probably swap what I have on the 5.56 back and forth; the reasoning behind the Surefire is that I'd like to shoot suppressed in the future. I'll probably swap out the MEGA CH for a Raptor Ambi .308 CH as well. It depends on how much I like the MEGA. Lastly, I'll likely take it to a gunsmith at some point in order to have the bolt headspaced (not sure if I can send BHW the bolt and have them match it to a barrel, or the barrel to JP to match it to a bolt) and the brake and gas block pinned or looked at if I decide to do that myself.
There you have it.
Built an AR15, had fun, love the rifle. Want to build AR-10 style rifle. Build list(s) above - MATEN build list not entirely complete yet.