GLShooter

Consistent Crimp Test - Finalized - Pic Heavy and Long!!

Nice work Greg! Thank you for your time and effort, that is a great report. :thumb:

I wish the air temp here was 74 degrees...... :sad:

Nice work Greg! Thank you for your time and effort, that is a great report. :thumb:

I wish the air temp here was 74 degrees...... :sad:

I wish it would STAY that!! LOL

Greg

PS: $8,700 estimate for two new heat pumps for the house was obtained yesterday thanks to my hail storm in October. Oh, that is on top of a $12,000 re-roof!! :nt:

I wish it would STAY that!! LOL

Greg

PS: $8,700 estimate for two new heat pumps for the house was obtained yesterday thanks to my hail storm in October. Oh, that is on top of a $12,000 re-roof!! :nt:

My prayers were answered...hit 68 today! :)

WhenI lived in Midland Texas we would get some pretty good ice and hail storms...lived their a year and a half and the largest hail I experienced was about 2" in diameter and that was too big in my opinion..them things will knock the hell out of you! :laugh:

Greg,

Just wondering if the Lee Factory Crimp will do the same. I understand that I will be guessing on how much crimp but once set it should be the same.

My next question how does the crimp tool your useing different from the Lee?

This is intersting test funny thing it's the same clame Lee used in his book saing his factory crimp improved accuracy but no one was ever a beleaver.

The consitent crimp tool uses the Lee die. It is a torque wrench attachment that clamps on your press and quantifies the amount of crimp you put on you ammo with the lee die.

Greg,

Just wondering if the Lee Factory Crimp will do the same. I understand that I will be guessing on how much crimp but once set it should be the same.

My next question how does the crimp tool your using different from the Lee?

This is intersting test funny thing it's the same clame Lee used in his book saing his factory crimp improved accuracy but no one was ever a beleaver.

If you read the CC TEST #1 in my posting above it mentions the Lee FCD being used. By the use of the torque set up we can reproduce the amount of crimp from one set up to the next. You are no longer at the vagaries of just screwing it in and feeling how the handle acts as you do the crimping process.

Five FT/LBS of crimp feels like you aren't doing anything. The difference between 20 and 30 is not real noticeable so "feel" is not a good repeat method.

Greg

PS: Try this: CONSISTENT CRIMP It is the site for Scott's set up that got us in to this super tool.

Edited by GLShooter

Lots of work going into this and I appreciate it.

Very interesting.

I was wonder ing iif it would help not to shoot the next set of groups by acending foot lbs of pressure, maybe shoot the heaviest crimp first, etc, to try and eliminate any effect that the gun heating up, dirty chamber, etc, may be having on your groups.

Great job!!!!

Lots of work going into this and I appreciate it.

Very interesting.

I was wonder ing iif it would help not to shoot the next set of groups by acending foot lbs of pressure, maybe shoot the heaviest crimp first, etc, to try and eliminate any effect that the gun heating up, dirty chamber, etc, may be having on your groups.

Great job!!!!

That is a possibility but the temperatures that I am seeing , as shown on the chrono sheet, probably aren't a factor in the grouping. Dirty chambers might well be an issue. A guy could shoot the test just jumping from pressure to pressure or even shoot one bullet on each target in rotation though you could just throw chrono data out the window at that point.

I might try that when I do my next test. I really need to wring out my 6X45 with this set up and it might be fun to try it.

Greg

PS: I am thinking hard about doing some revolver and pistole testing too. :ohmy:

Pistol ammo with the CC??? Blasphemy!!

I had thought of that too, trouble is I am even less accurate with a pistol than I am with a rifle.....

Pistol ammo with the CC??? Blasphemy!!

I had thought of that too, trouble is I am even less accurate with a pistol than I am with a rifle.....

It's all in how you learn to rest as you get older!!!! :nt:

Greg

It's all in how you learn to rest as you get older!!!! :nt:

Greg

You use the "ransom rest" stance don't you :laugh:

You use the "ransom rest" stance don't you :laugh:

I will be for this test. I can shoot a pistol relatively well but I wouldn't feel that the results were repeatable on demand from day to day like the Ransom Rest will do. I have inserts for the K/L-Frame, Python 1911 (regular and Para) and a Super Blackhawk. I thought I had one for a Browning HP but I guess I didn't have one when I bought the Rest and base. I believe I will remedy that in the next month or two.

I will probably run it using a 6" L-Frame and some hot 357 stuff. The Super Blackhawk would be a good one to as I know it is pretty darn good out to 200 meters even when I am standing on my hind legs.

Greg

I have torqued fasteners with a spring scale and a 1 foot long box end wrench. 45 ft-lbs or whatever can be read directly from the scale at 1 foot away from the center, perpendicular to the wrench of course.