Sign in to follow this  
Dave T

DW Pointman

Just acquired an older DW Pointman from before the CZ ownership. It has a 2 digit serial number so it might be a very early one.

Looks like carbon steel and the model marking on the slide is PM10B, the "B" being for blue according to another forum. However, I've been led to believe DW only uses stainless. Is that true? If this is stainless what kind of finish is this? It's a sort of purple brown, which looks for all the world like some bluing I've seen on other guns (Rugers and S&Ws as examples).

It has a magnificent trigger but that Millet rear sight is awful. If nothing else I will have to replace the rear blade with a plain one if I can. That goofy white outline, underlined and highlighted thing is just too busy for my old eyes (LOL). Even with the funny rear sight, set in the raised rib on the back of the slide I think I got a pretty good deal. Looking at other DWs on the web sites the selling price of $720 seems to be pretty reasonable.

I'm hoping this will prove to be a worthy companion to the Glock G20T I put together a while back. It won't hold nearly as many rounds but with this trigger pull it aught to shoot a heck of a lot better...or at least I should shoot it better! (smile)

Dave

Edited by Dave T

I loved mine. Mine was a PMA-S. If you got a two-digit serial number, it's a very early gun. Mine was #318. Bought it used in 2003, loved it. Didn't shoot it much anymore, so it left to make room for something I would use more. DW did make carbon steel guns, not everything was stainless. They didn't blue IIRC, they did a black coating.

I have never heard that DW ONLY used stainless. I'd think if it was stainless, the black finish would be some sort of coating, and not look anything like blued metal. Sounds like you have an early one, just like mine. I know what you mean about the rear sight. But it would probably destroy any collector value is has (which is the majority of the value of an early DW) if you get rid of it. I don't know how you would be able to change the rear sight anyway without milling the rib off, and putting a dove tail in it's place. Sounds like you'd be paying at least half or more of what the gun is worth to have work like that done to it. I'd keep it the way it is, or sell it and go buy one of the thousands of other 1911's out there that have sights more suited to your liking.

Would like to see some pics of it if you get a chance.

The value of DW's has come up a bit, in some cases used ones are going for more than they did new. A rear sight change won't permanently alter the gun if you stay with the same dovetail. you can always change it back later.

Like this one?

phone%20pics%20013.JPG

That is an awesome target sight BTW. Loved mine. The only modification I ever intended to do to that sight, was have a 'smith obtain a small vial of tritium, then drill the sight and glue the tritium in it at the bottom of the notch.

That is an awesome target sight BTW. Loved mine. The only modification I ever intended to do to that sight, was have a 'smith obtain a small vial of tritium, then drill the sight and glue the tritium in it at the bottom of the notch.

Doable and not too pricey either.

I don't think so. He said it has a raised rib on the top. So does mine. It's not a dovetail, the inside of the rib is machined into a channel. The rear sight assembly sits in the channel and is held in place by a pin. The whole thing pivots up and down from that pin. Kinda wonky, but that's way the did it back then.

dwrearsight.jpg

Doable and not too pricey either.

Yep. The front sight would have been a quick swap for a night sight, and I'd have been happy as a clam at high tide. For low light or "combat" shooting, a little more light around the front sight is nice, so while the 'smith was in there, I was going to have him file down the notch, open it up a few thousandths, and then have him "blue" it back so it looked factory. It would have looked like a factory adjustable night sight option, and would have been awesome, if I wanted to keep goofing with 1911's.

I don't think so. He said it has a raised rib on the top. So does mine. It's not a dovetail, the inside of the rib is machined into a channel. The rear sight assembly sits in the channel and is held in place by a pin. The whole thing pivots up and down from that pin. Kinda wonky, but that's way the did it back then.

dwrearsight.jpg

There may be some options even still.

Hmm, interesting.

All things are possible in the world of 1911's :thumb:

Someone recommended that same rear sight over on the 1911 Forum. It is described as an Elliason replacement so a Colt Elliason might be an alternative to the Millet. Macshooter's picture is exactly like the one on my Pointman, only the gun under it is blued (smile).

As for pictures, I was out of town when I bought the gun. After dark when I got home so no photography possible. If I can get to it today I'll take some digital images and post a few.

Dave