Eisenfaust

Is a combination tactical/hunting AR15 practical?

I am pretty new to the AR15 world and am looking to build my first one. I would like to have a rifle for hunting deer and possibly bear as well as having a 'tactical' rifle. I was thinking a foregrip, eotech site, light, etc for tactical, but then being able to take some of that off such as the site and foregrip and plopping down a scope for hunting. Is this really a feasible type of thing to do? Thanks

No problem with that type of setup.

2 notes

556 is not what you want for bear. I will disagree with it for deer especially large ones but opinion vary on that subject. I dont think anybody is going to say it is a good bear round. You could do an AR is another caliber say 4.62x39 and it would rock for all 3 purposes.

second, check with your state law, I will willing to bet the very first thing you are going to want to take off is the light. I dont know off hand of any state that lets you hunt deer with a gun that has a light on it. In tennessee it will ruin your day if they catch you with a light mounted on a hunting rifle or even a pistol if you are hunting at the time.

• Like 1

No problem with that type of setup.

2 notes

556 is not what you want for bear. I will disagree with it for deer especially large ones but opinion vary on that subject. I dont think anybody is going to say it is a good bear round. You could do an AR is another caliber say 4.62x39 and it would rock for all 3 purposes.

second, check with your state law, I will willing to bet the very first thing you are going to want to take off is the light. I dont know off hand of any state that lets you hunt deer with a gun that has a light on it. In tennessee it will ruin your day if they catch you with a light mounted on a hunting rifle or even a pistol if you are hunting at the time.

He means 7.62x39 (in case you are really new at this).

He means 7.62x39 (in case you are really new at this).

Good catch. Fingers are not doing what they are told today.

Edited by redbarron06

Or .308 AR. I bet you could take down a bear with that and I'm sure it would drop a deer. Another option also would be use a magnifier on a FTS mount with the EOTech. Just my thoughts.

DPMS also makes an AR in .243, a great all around hunting round. It will work on black bear too.

I wouldn't rely on it for elk or grizz though.

Thanks guys. I was thinking of 6.8 for the caliber. Any advice on a good barrel length for a combination gun like this? I rarely am in terrain to take shots beyond 200 yards...but I don't want something that is too terribly long for the tactical aspect of things.

Thanks guys. I was thinking of 6.8 for the caliber. Any advice on a good barrel length for a combination gun like this? I rarely am in terrain to take shots beyond 200 yards...but I don't want something that is too terribly long for the tactical aspect of things.

I give a thumbs up to a 6.8SPC. I have had three, 1 18" and 2 16". I think 16" would do fine for a dual purpose rifle. That is what I currently have for a hog hunting rifle. Just make sure you get one with a Spec II chamber and preferably 11 or 12 to 1 rifling. If you want to investigate the 6.8, check out 68forums.com.

458 SOCOM = Anything in North America, and with good loads not much of anything on earth wont go down. Short range though. Think 45/70ish

6.8 SPC = Good all round cartridge .277 bullets

6.5 G and variants = not my favorite, but excellent BC and carries energy at distance better than most.

.308 = excellent all round, easy to find hunting ammo, you can get milsurp for tactical also. Most are considered heavy, YMMV.

.300 BLK = Fireball / Whisper clone. Excellent for shorter range suppressed hunting with heavy bullets, don't get it for supersonic use as 6.8 or 7.62x40 would be better.

6.8 is a good round and I am thinking of changing over a SBR to a 6.8, but still using it for Bear still might be too small.

There is always the .50 Beowolf.

When I was in college in Missouri, I killed 7 or 8 deer with a 22-250 with factory Remington 55 grain loads, all over 200 yards. Only one took a step or two before it fell. I would think the .223 would be o.k. for deer. Or am I missing something?

Winkel

Anyone able to recommend some good 6.8 uppers? Been searching a lot and haven't found very many, the best was here http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/index....p=1&cat=174

I can upgrade it to the 7.0 omega rails, but that seems like it will be a pretty short gun...

I have had 3 6.8SPC uppers. The 1st was a Stag that never fed ammo reliably (Stag refuses to use M4 feedramps, even in their 6.8s, which were designed that way.) The other two both came from AR Performance, a Colorado shop that specializes in the 6.8SPC. One was 18" and my current one is a 16". They have a variety of different barrels, handguards, and other options.

AR Performance

WA hunting regulations

Page 68:

Rifles:

Big game, except cougar, must be hunted

with a minimum of 24 caliber (6mm) centerfire

rifle. Cougar may be hunted with 22 caliber

centerfire rifle. Rimfire rifles are not legal for

big game.

Handguns:

Big game, except cougar, may be hunted with

handguns with a minimum barrel length of 4

inches per manufacturers specification, and

fire a minimum 24 caliber centerfire cartridge.

The minimum for cougar is a 22 caliber

centerfire handgun. Rimfire handguns are not

legal for big game.

Shotguns:

Deer, bear, and cougar may be hunted with 20

gauge to 10 gauge shotguns shooting slugs or

#1 or larger buckshot. Other big game may be

hunted with a 10 or 12 gauge shotgun using

slugs. Hunters must use #4 shot or smaller

(e.g. #6 shot is legal) to hunt turkey