garrambide

Looking to Buy a 1911 10mm

Hi I am interested in getting a 1911 10mm shooter. I see a SS Delta Elite Gold Cup in a local pawn shop. Should I get the gold cup or hold out for the Kimber? Any others I am missing thanks

Hi I am interested in getting a 1911 10mm shooter. I see a SS Delta Elite Gold Cup in a local pawn shop. Should I get the gold cup or hold out for the Kimber? Any others I am missing thanks

If you can luck into one springfield had a thing with peter stahl years ago and they had some very unique features, granted it may not be as easy to get replacement parts for but they are very well made.

If you can luck into one springfield had a thing with peter stahl years ago and they had some very unique features, granted it may not be as easy to get replacement parts for but they are very well made.

You don't mention the price on the Delta Elite, but I would probably take it over a Kimber if the price was right. Nothing wrong with Kimber, but I am not a fan, and I don't like cocking serrations on the front of the slide.

Before any of those have you looked at the 1006's currently on Broker? In reading here I don't think any 10mm tops that one.

How much do they want for the gun you are looking at?

A good NEW 1911 type 10 will run between a grand and a half. Used only a bit less. My used Kimber went $750 5 years ago.

Colts will hold their value more than just about any other 10mm, but they are not the best shooters. If you are looking for a shooting gun (not a collectable/investment) then I'd consider a Dan Wesson first, if you can afford it, maybe a Fusion. Springfield has made some great ones, including the Omega, Linkless, and especially the Omega Match (loosely mentioned above with the Peter Stahl comment). Kimber makes nice guns, but I personally haven't had quite as good of luck as some.

I've certainly enjoyed my Kimber Stainless Target.

I didn't... That's why I sold it. The thing was SOOO finicky about ammo and mags. It was quite accurate however.

For an "entry-level" 10mm, the Colt isn't a bad "base" pistol. If you "gussy" or "dress" it up, it can run with the "big dogs." These are minor modifications that, for the most part, can be performed at home.

If I had a Colt's Delta Elite, the first improvement I would make is to intall a stainless-steel, flat-bottomed EGW firing pin retainer. This may require the skills of a professional gunsmith. I would then install a new Wolff's 22-lb recoil spring (and firing pin spring.) A Match barrel/bushing setup from Jarvis would be great, along with a trigger job (another 'gunsmith required service') on their "Series 80" system.

These would go a LONG way toward making Colt's Delta Elite the pistol it should have been when it left the factory.

Scott

Edited by gunfan

Get Dan Wesson if you can find one.

For the cost of the upgrades of the Colt mentioned above, you can just start out with a better shooter like the D.W.'s. IMHO.

The flat bottom firing pin stop is $15-$25 from brownells, depending on stainless or carbon steel. I fit mine with a small file and a pair of calipers in about 10 minutes.

The springs will cost less than $20 from Wolff, and can be installed in about 10 minutes. Might take an hour if you have never taken your mainspring housing out/apart before and have to watch youtube videos first.

As far as Barrel, bushing, trigger job...That depends on you. I would certainly shoot a Gold Cup first to see if it met my needs. If it doesn't then weigh you options. I would probably start with just polishing the non-critical surfaces on the trigger (NOT the sear/hammer interaction) and maybe having a match bushing ($25 EGW from brownells) fit to the gun. I would change the barrel only as a very last resort, probably after having the crown tweaked.

The real answer depends on the price of the original Gold Cup Delta. For $700 I would snap it up. For $1300 I would order a custom Fusion instead.

Edited by sqlbullet

I actually prefer my stock Delta Elite over my Dan Wesson. But, to answer the original question, for me it would depend on the price difference of the two.

Edited by remat457