Sign in to follow this  
sscolt

STI Tactical 4.15 in 10mm

Hi all, new here, thought I'd introduce myself with some pics of my latest project.

A bit of a 10mm nut, also have a Colt Delta Gold Cup and a Glock 20, felt the need for a double stack 1911 in 10mm, so...

Re-chambered the factory 40 S&W barrel to 10mm.

Used the original STI recoil master guide rod and springs, but am currently working on shortening a one piece guide rod and single 22lb spring for it, it's a little harsh and snappy with the factory recoil set up and I don't want to risk any slide or frame damage.

Bought a bunch of STI "perfect 10" mags, the only difference from the 40 S&W mags is the feed lips are slightly shorter.

It's a pretty fun gun, definatley brings on the smiles at the range.

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

Edited by sscolt

Hi all, new here, thought I'd introduce myself with some pics of my latest project.

A bit of a 10mm nut, also have a Colt Delta Gold Cup and a Glock 20, felt the need for a double stack 1911 in 10mm, so...

Re-chambered the factory 40 S&W barrel to 10mm.

Used the original STI recoil master guide rod and springs, but am currently working on shortening a one piece guide rod and single 22lb spring for it, it's a little harsh and snappy with the factory recoil set up and I don't want to risk any slide or frame damage.

Bought a bunch of STI "perfect 10" mags, the only difference from the 40 S&W mags is the feed lips are slightly shorter.

It's a pretty fun gun, definatley brings on the smiles at the range.

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

Nice! So, how many rounds of 10mm does each magazine hold? Any feed issues?

Very nice! :thumb:

As long as it has a 5" barrel (or longer) I can appreciate it! It looks VERY nice!

Cool beans.

Scott

Nice! So, how many rounds of 10mm does each magazine hold? Any feed issues?

Hi, mags hold 15 rnds, +1 bases fit and would take them out that extra one, but I wanted to keep the pistol looking stock.

0 feed issues once I got the shorter feed lip mags that STI make for their "Perfect 10"

Sorry Gunfan, barrel is 4.15"

Probably not the best platform to convert, one could argue the velocity loss out of a shorter barrel would void the gain in the 10mm caliber, but hey, each to their own, I like it and love shooting it. :)

I have NOTHING against an autoloader with a 4.15" barrel, but the 10mm really suffers from a truncated barrel. :( That would be a fine carry gun, nonetheless. The 10mm offersis at its best in autoloaders with barrel/slide arrangements between 5 and 9 inches in barrel length. OTOH, the .40, .45 and 9mm find a great platform in barrel/slide arrangements as short as 3.5 inches. (Shorter cartridge case = better performance in shorter barrels.) Capisce?

Scott

sscolt, welcome to the 10mm forum. STI makes some great products, your pictures are outstanding. Are the gun laws less restrictive in New Zealand, than in Australia? We have a few posters from South Africa, Switzerland, and France who post here semi-regularly. It's nice, to correspond with the greater global 10mm fraternity, so to speak. Please make yourself at home. :thumb:

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero

I lived in Georgetown for a while, I wish I could have paid a visit to STI while I was there.

sscolt, welcome to the 10mm forum. STI makes some great products, your pictures are outstanding. Are the gun laws less restrictive in New Zealand, than in Australia? We have a few posters from South Africa, Switzerland, and France who post here semi-regularly. It's nice, to correspond with the greater global 10mm fraternity, so to speak. Please make yourself at home. :thumb:

Thanks Zephyr, yes we are pretty well off as far as NZ's gun laws, especially compared to our Australian neighbors, we don't have hand gun caliber restrictions and we can own and use hi cap semi auto rifles.

Gunfan, AH I see what your saying, cool. :)

VERY nice! I had actually thought about doing the exact same thing on an STI 2011 frame. I would be curious on how the modified recoil arrangement works out. I find that in a Commander-sized setup (mine is a DW CBOB) fullpower 10mm is a bit hard on the pistol.

VERY nice! I had actually thought about doing the exact same thing on an STI 2011 frame. I would be curious on how the modified recoil arrangement works out. I find that in a Commander-sized setup (mine is a DW CBOB) fullpower 10mm is a bit hard on the pistol.

Hi remat457, when I first put it together with the std STI 40 cal recoil system it was pretty harsh and ejected cases very violently and right across the range, I went to a 22lb Wolff STD 5" recoil spring, I cut it down a coil at a time until the slide would travel fully to the rear and not coil bind the spring, then fitted a 25lb Wolff hammer spring/main spring, (the one in the backstrap), also fitted a square bottomed EGW firing pin stop, this has really tamed it down and it's really quite nice to shoot now, just takes a bit more effort to rack the slide with the flat bottomed firing pin stop.

I read in a few places not to go too heavy with the recoil spring so as not to put too much impact/load on the barrel link and the lower lug on the barrel when the slide goes back into battery, made sense to me and the other mods sorted the problem anyway.

I'm sure some will think that what I did to make it work by modifying springs is a no no, but, it works and doesn't seem to be hammering the gun too hard, in fact it seems to have done the opposite and made the gun really quite nice to shoot.

It's not likley that it'll ever get 1000's of rounds through it anyway, too darned expensive on ammo.

What really swayed me towards the STI was the availabilty of factory 10mm mags for it, and I REALLY wanted a hi cap, commander length 10mm, couldn't find any other "donor" gun that fitted the criteria, and seeing as a mate of mine is the STI dealer for NZ, well that sorta helped as well.

sscolt, glad to see your back with us once more. I was curious as to what type of groups your achieving with this abbreviated 10mm set-up? From your account, it seems like accuracy 'might' have increased a bit due to the 'milder' recoil. Hope all is well in NZ, have a good one! :thumb: