RobertWichert

Springfield Armory Omega

I have two SA Omegas. One has a broken recoil guide rod. I understand that this is a common failure. It failed at the thin section where the rod has a U shaped machining. This is probably also common. I have heard that there is an "improved stronger" design. Is this true, and what are the changes or reinforcements, does anybody know? Second question, since SA won't provide a replacement, does anybody know who could or who has replacements?

Sorry for coming in out of the blue on this, but it just broke a few weeks ago.

Cheers and thanks!

Robert Wichert

I have an Omega that I bought new. I was concerned about the recoil rod also and tried to get a smith to weld a bridge across the top of the notch as I had seen in pictures to strengthen this part. before altering the rod, he called Springfield Armory on my behalf to inquire about a replacement (in the case of an issue when welding the rod). he was told that while that part was available, they wouldn't sell it and since the gun has a lifetime warranty, if it did break (not modified), they would replace it under warranty. this was about a year ago but they apparently, still had some parts for the repair of Omegas. he asked about other failures and they said the warranty is for repair or replacement of the gun. since the Omega is no longer available, they would replace it with a comparable piece. SA makes no alternatives to the Omega that I would be happy with so I dropped the whole project. Have you asked SA if they can fix the pistol?

I have seen a fix on the recoil rod that looked good (pictures) so there are some who can do it. I would be very interested in what you are able to come up with for a fix for this.

omega%20recoil%20rod.jpg

Yes, I have seen that picture too. Thanks for posting it. Do you still have your SAO pistol? Is it broken? If not, do you want to sell the guide rod? Or sell the pistol? I'm in California, so buying it would be "complicated". But parts are OK.

I'll keep the forum posted on my progress, but right now it appears that special fabrication is the only alternative. By the way, I believe that shot peening that area could help a lot. Just my professional opinion, that's all.

Robert Wichert

Yes, I have seen that picture too. Thanks for posting it. Do you still have your SAO pistol? Is it broken? If not, do you want to sell the guide rod? Or sell the pistol? I'm in California, so buying it would be "complicated". But parts are OK.

I'll keep the forum posted on my progress, but right now it appears that special fabrication is the only alternative. By the way, I believe that shot peening that area could help a lot. Just my professional opinion, that's all.

Robert Wichert

My Omega works fine. I'm not interested in selling it, today anyway. Good luck on a solution and thanks for keeping us posted!

I think I read where some actuall changed the top ends out to 1911 type, like those of Colt Delta maybe a Fusion topend.

BTW, I would call Fusion Arms to see what they might be able to help you with. http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

The top end is the slide barrel and recoil system to work on the original frame.

While this may cost more it could get you back to using the pistol.

I think I read where some actuall changed the top ends out to 1911 type, like those of Colt Delta maybe a Fusion topend.

BTW, I would call Fusion Arms to see what they might be able to help you with. http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

The top end is the slide barrel and recoil system to work on the original frame.

While this may cost more it could get you back to using the pistol.

Springfield Armory offered to change the top-end to a .45, but I'm not interested in that, as evidenced by my being in the 10 mm forum!

RW

Springfield Armory offered to change the top-end to a .45, but I'm not interested in that, as evidenced by my being in the 10 mm forum!

RW

this is exactly why I don't shoot mine much. I have no doubt that SA would honor the warranty in case of breakage, but they do not offer any 10mm. I have no use whatsoever for any .45. If I could obtain a new (modified or not) recoil rod, I would certainly shoot it more. It is easily the finest shooting 10 I own...and I own 4.

again, I would be very interested in any solution you are able to come up with. While I'm not happy you have problems, I am delighted that someone else shares this issue and may find a solution. I posted about this several years ago but no information was available...thanks for bringing it up again.

SNIP

It is easily the finest shooting 10 I own...and I own 4.

SNIP

Yeah, it makes my Glock 20 look like a scattergun.

: )

RW

There is one for sale on unbroken and in the classified section on Glocktalk.

There is one for sale on unbroken and in the classified section on Glocktalk.

I do not know what "unbroken" is. Can you fill me in?

Robert Wichert

I have an Omega that I bought new. I was concerned about the recoil rod also and tried to get a smith to weld a bridge across the top of the notch as I had seen in pictures to strengthen this part. before altering the rod, he called Springfield Armory on my behalf to inquire about a replacement (in the case of an issue when welding the rod). he was told that while that part was available, they wouldn't sell it and since the gun has a lifetime warranty, if it did break (not modified), they would replace it under warranty. this was about a year ago but they apparently, still had some parts for the repair of Omegas. he asked about other failures and they said the warranty is for repair or replacement of the gun. since the Omega is no longer available, they would replace it with a comparable piece. SA makes no alternatives to the Omega that I would be happy with so I dropped the whole project. Have you asked SA if they can fix the pistol?

I have seen a fix on the recoil rod that looked good (pictures) so there are some who can do it. I would be very interested in what you are able to come up with for a fix for this.

omega%20recoil%20rod.jpg

Yep, (nice pic, from my 12 year old 2.11 mp camera..) that's a mid to later style guide rod. I got mine that way as it was one of the last production models produced by SA.

Here's some additional pics for reference and enjoyment. I got another Omega shortly after this one, so I never actually shot this one. I bought it used from the original owner (older gentlemans estate sale on GB), but was told by my pistol smith he believes it's never been fired except at the factory, so I've just kept it in the safe. After reading this thread though, I'm tempted to bring her out for a 'Sunday Drive".

omega991.jpg

omega993.jpg

omega1004.jpg

omega1003.jpg

"

Edited by Viper1357

Yep, (nice pic, from my 12 year old 2.11 mp camera..) that's a mid to later style guide rod. I got mine that way as it was one of the last production models produced by SA.

thank you for taking that pic and I hope you don't mind that I forwarded that to a guy that smiths 1911's and is pretty well connected for metalwork. He was the one who called SA in my behalf, looking for a replacement and information. That is how I got the information on the warranty and that a few parts were still available. Which then brings up the question that if the recoil rod shown is a later version of the factory part, would they replace a broken one with that? (assuming they still have some). I really don't want to break mine to find out. I did also see a picture that showed a flat piece of steel bridging the gap. I am pretty sure it was done in someones shop. The fix in Viper's pic looks much better but I guess I wouldn't care about appearance as long as it worked. LOL

Which then brings up a question for RobertWichert... since they offered to switch out to a .45 top end for you, did they know which part was broken and indicate there are none of them left? Have you pursued this issue any further? SA told my smith that they would not sell Omega parts but were keeping what they had for fixes. Since the recoil rod seems to be the most common failure, could be that they are out of them. I doesn't look to me like it would be a big deal to modify the rod, but then again, I know nothing of this stuff.

btw, nice Omega Viper...