Intercooler

Assault rifle bang for the buck

What are some of the better choices? I have been pondering a Dragunov since it shoots 7.62x54R like my Mosin (cheap). Better choices out there?

For 30 cal stuff, the cheapest type rifle in a real caliber, don't rule out a CETME. Older ones in the last decade can be a hit or miss sometimes on quality depending on who/where you buy it. Also 308 ammo has come down quite a bit. CETME's are the AK's of the 308 caliber rifle class. Very reliable but the controls take a bit more to master IMHO.

CETME's run about $500 or up if you shop carefully. I have owned 2 and own a PTR91 (sort of a upgraded CTME or downgraded G3) now. They can be good shooters even though the sights go to 400M.

But you can add a scope rail, build up the stock to get a better cheek weld and mount a little 3-9 mildot scope.

Mine is set up pretty sweet.

An AR with a .22 conversion not dedicated. CMMG has a complete kit & a part that holds the bolt back {sold separately}, giving it full training capability. It's the same rifle & training at a fraction of the cost of .223 or 5.56. :wink:

For cheap in the now, something like a Dragunov is going to be hard to beat since 7.62X54R is so inexpensive. I would struggle to handload it with cast bullets for the price I can buy it.

My first thought was the same as TaosGlock....CETME. I am certainly going to add one to my next order from J&G. The biggest benefit to me for the CETME is how cast bullet friendly they are. As long as you keep the free recoil in the operating range, they will cycle. No worries about port pressure or gas volume like on Garands or AR's. If I want a low velocity load, I just up the bullet weight. Velocity comes down, momentum stays the same and the gun cycles.

Recent reports are the current ones are a good value. And, if you don't handload, you can count on 308 to be relatively price stable. As a mainstay military caliber, it is not going anywhere anytime in the foreseeable future. I an see 7.62X54R being scarce in 30 years. 30-40 years ago surplus ammo for Mausers and Carcanos was everywhere cheap. Today...Not so much.

First of all, you are not talking about an assault rifle. Quit propagating that hate word that the gun grabbers use to vilify semi automatic rifles based entirely on how they look.

Other than that, the above recommendations are correct.

I picked up this like new Armalite AR10 for $600 at a local pawn shop.

AR10C.jpg

What are some of the better choices? I have been pondering a Dragunov since it shoots 7.62x54R like my Mosin (cheap). Better choices out there?

An "assault rifle" is one that can be fired both semi and full auto. Please be careful with the terms you chose to use. If we can not use the correct termonology, how can we expect the enemies of the 2A to do so?

EDIT: I did not see Psy's post before I put in my 2 cents.

The "assault rifle" jumped out at me at the beginning of the thread. Please heed his advice. Words mean things...

Edited by Retcop

Call them whatever works in your circles. Pic of the one here is what is most familiar.

I picked up this like new Armalite AR10 for $600 at a local pawn shop.

AR10C.jpg

I'm calling the police cause you stole that damn thing for $600.

Psywarrior and Retcop are RIGHT. (I like that AR10!)

Scott