Anyone have experience with putting a .40SW barrel in a 10mm 1911, (a la Dan Wesson Razorback?)

Seems like it would just be a matter of a barrel, spring, and maybe a mag. I wonder if, unless the new .40 barrel was precisely fitted, it could loosen up the barrel-to-slide locking lug fit on the reasonably tightly fitted factory 10 barrel I have in there now.

Sure would be less expensive to plink with.

Just wondering, thanks.

-s

Anyone have experience with putting a .40SW barrel in a 10mm 1911, (a la Dan Wesson Razorback?)

Seems like it would just be a matter of a barrel, spring, and maybe a mag. I wonder if, unless the new .40 barrel was precisely fitted, it could loosen up the barrel-to-slide locking lug fit on the reasonably tightly fitted factory 10 barrel I have in there now.

Sure would be less expensive to plink with.

Just wondering, thanks.

-s

I would be interested in that kind of setup as well. Then I could be less picky about finding all my brass for reloading and save some money... well shoot some more anyway. :)

I have experience going the other direction, Para 16-40 to 10mm.

All you should need is a barrel and bushing. If installed by a competent gunsmith, no dimensional changes will be made to your slide or slide stop. It should have no effect on your current setup.

It should feed fine from your 10mm mags, but some testing may be in order. Also, unless you have installed a 24-25 lb recoil spring, or changed the mainspring or firing pin stop to retard the timing, I would at least test with your current spring before I made the change. Chances are unless you are running factory ammo from one of the big mfg's, you are essentially shooting 40 S&W anyway. If federal Hydra-shok 10mm work in with your current springs, almost any 180 gr 40 S&W will too.

Good Luck!

Drop a nicely fitted barrel/bushing setup in the pistol, and you'll be fine. The standard spring will work well with everything in .40 S&W except very light loads.

Scott

Salt, :welcome: to the forum!

As mentioned the 1911 style pistols require barrel (fitted depending on yor frame configuration non ramped or ramped) and bushing.

There are many aftermarket barrel producers for the 1911 styles from Bar-Sto, Storm Lake, KKM and others. These have produced great quality products. I used Bar-Sto from my S&W early 1990's and Storm Lake & Lone Wolf for my G-29.

I use several conversion barrels in my Glock 29 (all just drop in fit) and S&W 1006 (match grade and hand fitted), they have been totally reliable from both platforms. Infact I am waiting for delivery of yet 4 more conversion barrels for the S&W10xx Series 5.00" and 4.25" pistols.

I handload & shoot 10mm/40S&W/357Sig/9x25Dillon from both platforms to provide a very versatile shooting package. :)

Good luck with your conversion project and enjoy the forum! :thumb:

Thanks All! I'll let you know how it goes when it happens.

-s