AR15Armory.com

need some input

SAABtech

well. i need some random input just to open mine eyes to some possibilities that i have not thought of....

i will be getting a new pistol soon and im leaning to the 625 in 45acp. (i wish they still made the 5")

reasoning: i like to tune my collection to a few calibers so i dont have to stock 15 diff calibers. i have sold off everything that im not going to shoot and bought things that im really interested.

currently i have a browning .22 pistol (one day may turn into a mod 41) and a tricked out 10/22 for plinking.

i have a pump 12 gauge.

i have a mod'ed remmy 700 sps tactical in .223 for 300yrd target and whitetail.

i have a colt ar-15 all decked out for fun/zombie situations in .223

i have a full size .45 1911 kimber that i did some mods to and now it runs flawless that i carry.

so that is why i'm leaning to the 625, but sell me on anything that would surely compliment my current collection.

I've got a pair of 25-2's that run well. :nt: I find the revolver is easy to shoot. My main one is DAO and is VERY fast. With 230 gr RNL bullets and full moon clips it is astounding how fast they load.

If I wanted a 5" I'd write a check and give it to a good 'smith.

Greg

Thank IDPA for their not producing the 5" model anymore.

bc

thats new info to me.... what happened? was it just a huge demand for smaller quicker sidearms?

I've got a pair of 25-2's that run well. :nt: I find the revolver is easy to shoot. My main one is DAO and is VERY fast. With 230 gr RNL bullets and full moon clips it is astounding how fast they load.

If I wanted a 5" I'd write a check and give it to a good 'smith.

Greg

you mean "write a check" and wait for a 5 inch to come along? or write a check and get one changed to a 5 inch?

thats new info to me.... what happened? was it just a huge demand for smaller quicker sidearms?

you mean "write a check" and wait for a 5 inch to come along? or write a check and get one changed to a 5 inch?

I'd write a check to my 'smith and have him fire up the lathe and sculpt a 5" barrel out of that 6" 'er.

Greg

That is very odd. The 686 Plus is virtually identical to that but in 357/38 with a 5in barrel.

I like the idea of .45 acp on a revolver to cut down on calibers, but a) the short cylanders look like a short bus to me and b) I already have a smith and wesson snubby in .38 so practice ammo is fine and HP defense rounds I only need a couple boxes.

IDPA's most popular revolver for years was a 5" 625. Then for some reason they decided that no one actually carries a gun that big, so they changed the rules to allow only 4" or shorter revolvers. Since most of the 625's being sold were for IDPA, S&W killed production of the longer barrel.

The 625 is an N-frame. The 686 is an L-frame. Big difference.

bc

IDPA's most popular revolver for years was a 5" 625. Then for some reason they decided that no one actually carries a gun that big, so they changed the rules to allow only 4" or shorter revolvers. Since most of the 625's being sold were for IDPA, S&W killed production of the longer barrel.

The 625 is an N-frame. The 686 is an L-frame. Big difference.

bc

I missed that bit :doh:

I'd write a check to my 'smith and have him fire up the lathe and sculpt a 5" barrel out of that 6" 'er.

Greg

its very hard to find a 6 inch. all that is readily avail is the jm 4"..... man that sucks. everyone that has one does not want to part with it.

back to the original question. is there another firearm that i am overlooking that would compliment the collection that i have listed as well or better than a 625?

The only other suggestion I have would be the S&W 610 in 10mm with the 6.5 bbl. The ballistics exceed the .45 ACP, and you'll have the added option of shooting .40 S&W through it. Plus, it uses full-moon clips exactly like the 625. Check around on Gunbroker.com for the 625 with a 5" bbl., they shouldn't be that hard to find. I understand your point about having caliber compatibility, which is why I own a 625 to compliment my Kimber Gold Match. Just like I have two 610's to compliment my Dan Wesson, and Kimber Target II in 10mm. My original 625 had a hammer-mounted 'firing-pin' and I foolishly sold-it to my son-in-law. I missed owning one so much, I purchased another 'newer' 625 and it has the frame-mounted firing-pin. At least neither one had the internal locks.

The only other suggestion I have would be the S&W 610 in 10mm with the 6.5 bbl. The ballistics exceed the .45 ACP, and you'll have the added option of shooting .40 S&W through it.

interesting. i like the idea of a 610 that is able to fire two calibers and the 10mm has always been a performer. great suggestion!

anymore?

I would consider adding a bolt action scoped .308 rifle, for a little more power at distance.

You may even want to consider a larger caliber, but the availability of .308/7.62 ammo makes it the winner in my book.

An accurate M1A might fit the bill also, it you want to stick with a semi auto, or an AR syle in .308.

Just a thought.