Jeff Franz

How Many Training Courses Have You Attended?

How Many Training Courses Have You Attended?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How many training Courses have you attended?

• 0 and I don't need any training
    • 0, but I plan on taking a class
    • 1-3 and I don't need or want any more
    • 1-3 and I plan on taking more
    • 3-5 and I'm done
    • 3-5 and I can't wait to take more
    • 6+ and I know all I need to know
    • 6+ and I'm still a training junkie

In an effort to breathe a little life into our whithering sub-forum, I've stolen the idea for the above poll from another popular firearms forum. Some here preach the virtue of learning proficiency with firearms from reputable sources, others malign courses as a waste of time. I am curious as to the background of both camps here on this forum.

For the sake of good discussion, please expound upon your choice with a post. I'll start.

Obviously, I'm in the 6+ category, and still going. In the spirit of full disclosure, I own and operate a firearms training company, so I feel it is important for firearm owners to become as proficient as possible with their weapon(s) of choice for self and home defense for the civilian, or issued weapon(s) for the job for the MIL/LEO amoung us. A firearm is a powerful tool, and as such, relevant, continual training is a requirement in my opinion. I also feel that to be an effective instructor, I must continue to learn new skills and hone those that I have mastered to be able to effectively convey them to others. I've trained with many of the big names at least once, and continue to mark them off my list as time allows (I have a Jason Falla Redback One class in two weeks). I still take something away from every single class I attend, even the more basic classes. I am also of the belief that marksmanship and weapons manipulations are perishable skills, and if they are not practiced, they diminish greatly. I have taken basic and advanced handgun and carbine classes, AK platform, shoot on the move, low light, and home defense/indoor tactics classes. I plan on adding more advanced classes in handgun and carbine, shoot on the move, lowlight, and home defense/indoor tactics, as well as a shooter's first aid medical class.

Give us your experiences and opinions.

Safe shooting,

JF

Ken Hackthorn's Intermediate Carbine Course Sept. 17th. Am really looking forward to it and what I can learn.

Ken Hackthorn's Intermediate Carbine Course Sept. 17th. Am really looking forward to it and what I can learn.

You'll have a great time with Ken. I'll be shooting with him again in October. Great instructor and a great guy.

So we already have a "0 and I don't need any training," but no explaination. Why not?

Just one. We don't get too many people teaching courses here, I'm afraid, and I do most of my shooting out in the woods, and end up not knowing what's going on at the range.

0. I wouldn't mind a handgun or shotgun class.

Hard for me to say about training classes. I've gone to a couple about teaching M/O stuff and taught a ton of them in conjunction with my job. The other instructors all brought something to the table at those classes so I got to learn osmotically for free. I brought my specialty knowledge of external ballistics to the classes so I guess it was fair trade. (Most shooters HATE math!! :nt: )

I've had some basic stuff to be an instructor with the FBOP in handgun, rifle and SG. Plus touching lightly on sub guns.

Experientially I have associated with and shot with some of the top IPSC shooters in the US and manged to pick up a few pointers on how to shoot. :wink: I've done enough over the years that the basics are ingrained well and I pass them on as I can. Gun handling is often a see one. do one and MAYBE, teach one deal for me. I am a sponge and will steal any technique that works for others and if I benefit from their actions than my game gets a bit better.

Openness to new ideas is important. I shy away from anyone that has the one true way to do anything. If it is a matter of a score card, PD body count or house clearing there are lots of yardsticks to use. The goal from any learning experience is improvement. in your performance or even the process of learning that something doesn't work. Often the negatives add up to a positive.

Greg

PS: So my vote is no true schools but I audit life.

"1-3 and I plan on taking more."

I've taken two handgun classes and one defensive carbine class with Aesir, and it was money and time very well spent.

Taking training from any qualified and knowledgeable instructor is one of the greatest investments a shooter can make, and is something you'll never have to regret. Whatever may be holding you back (thinking that you know it all already, thinking that it would be too "high speed/low drag" for someone who is "just a civilian," fear of embarrassment, etc.) don't let it hold you back any longer! Show up with an open mind, a willingness to learn, and check your ego at the door, and I promise you'll take away - at the least - something that will make the whole experience worthwhile, no matter how much you already know. :thumb:

I'll definitely be going back for more.

Two classes so far.

Magpul Carbine1

Magpul handgun2

Loved both classes! :)

Plan on doing a LOT more training with them when they come back! :thumb:

Nice thread. I'm looking for some AR specific courses in my area right now.

Done some one on one withe LEO and MIL trainers for my 1911 but trying to become more proficient with this AR-15.

Its a bit more complicated.

I just went through C.R.I training in "Anti-terrorism in High Risk Zones". I cannot recommend them strongly enough. If the referral of a Sergeant Major in Delta Force is reliable, then these guys know their Shatt! It was very intense emotionally for the first day, then became the most incredible, life-changing experience. The company and course material is put together by a retired Israeli Special Forces member who wrote their protocols on anti-suicide bombing and some of their anti-terrorism protocols as well. He has traveled the world doing training in anti-terrorism and anti-kidnapping, and he is publishing a book very soon on anti-kidnapping measures for the civilian. He and his crew of instructors are knowledgeable in their field and dedicated to training their students to NEVER be a victim! This particular course included S.E.R.E, Israeli point and shoot method, Dynamic pistol/rifle training, I.E.D. response training, and a whole day of Israeli method CQB. Super intense!

Much of self defense is not just how you shoot, but how you think. It is how you have prepared yourself mentally to respond to life threats. With the head instructor's background in psychology, his course effectively and permanently altered my mental state to one of enduring determination to NEVER be a victim. The tools that they instilled in me will make it hell for anyone who ever tries to harm me or my family. They offer many other courses including but not limited to, "Surveillance Operator", Professional Bodyguard", "Personal Defense" (Krav Haganah), home defense, and many more. Their length varies to accommodate the material for each training. I must warn anyone considering taking these courses though. They are very physically/emotionally demanding. So consider well before doing it. It WILL change your Life Perspective! I guarantee it. In the words of the Sergeant Major, "This training, in my opinion, is top notch. it is one of, if not THE best training in the world."

Consider it. IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!..... Feel free to contact me via PM if you want to know more about it. It is definately world class.

Good to know! :thumb:

So we already have a "0 and I don't need any training," but no explaination. Why not?

I'm wondering myself. Possible drive by trolling? I think I know who voted that option.

I'm wondering myself. Possible drive by trolling? I think I know who voted that option.

I don't know, but I could understand someone with that attitude. Someone who only wants to plink, or only punch paper, they really don't need nor will benefit from any real training. Those who wish to compete, or will be putting themselves in harm's way while armed with our favorite black rifle, those folks will benefit from training.

I do think there is a saturation point to some training, and I think that more focused training is usually better. Find a discipline, a style that you like and do well, and stick with it. Stick with trainers that teach that way. For those going into competition, maybe learning/trying several different methods will work, but to those who might need to use their guns to defend themselves or their loved ones, concentrating on a good technique without varying too much is the way to ensure reactions are nearly automatic.

Where is the option for "0 because none are available in the area" or "0 but I would if I could" ?

None here but I look forward to taking some. I will be taking my CCW before years end and look forward to doing some appleseed shoots. Then next year getting more into the tactics/training classes and such.