AR15Armory.com

New study on some .40 JHP's. 6 types with DPX

Intercooler

Two things:

I appreciate that they are trying to simulate human bone in attempting to determine terminal ballastics of various rounds. However, other than the skull for a head shot, and possibly the sternum for a center of mass shot, I'm not sure a 1/4 inch flat plate of "bone" is the best simulation. I hope they continue to search for better bone simulations.

Why in the world would they use the short-barreled load in the Gold Dot to use in a Glock 22?

Expansion in a handgun bullet is a plus that should never be relied on 100% of the time. The

Cor Bon's penetration lenghths were not as good as they need to be, and this is only with the 1/4 inch barrier. Penetration trumps expansion everytime, IMO. That's why you should use the largest caliber you can shoot profeciently in a SD sidearm.

Cool it's working now.

The Pork shoulder test like Elite does is a good test with real bone and meat. Only thing you could do to make it even more real life is 4 layers of denim on the Pork. The denim would simulate thick clothes and the possibility of clogging the cavity preventing expansion.

Retcop writes, "Expansion in a handgun bullet is a plus that should never be relied on 100% of the time. The Cor Bon's penetration lenghths were not as good as they need to be, and this is only with the 1/4 inch barrier. Penetration trumps expansion everytime, IMO."

This is precisely why I opt for the 10mm Auto. With the 10mm, you can rely on its penetration capabilities. Higher velocity = greater penetration. If you are using a .400" - .401" projectile, make certain that all the barriers between you and the vital organs can be breached. With the wider "power band" provided by the 10mm Auto, you'll be more likely to reach the vital organs of the target. The probability of expansion is enhanced as well.

Scott

Scott said what I was thinking....If they were pushing those bullets at 10mm velocities, I bet they would have seen a much higher percentage of expanded bullets. The extra velocity surely improves the terminal ballistics of a JHP.

I wonder if the Cor-bon DPX load would have fragmented at 10mm velocities.

I think I am going to try to find some time to experiment with binary composition cast lead bullets. Thinking of casting some 205 grain bullets that have an 85 grain soft lead nose and a 120 grain hard cast body. Should be able to push them 1250 or so from my Para, the nose should expand well, and the base should push deep. They will be a pain to cast though.