AR15Armory.com

Interesting effects of Marijuana resin, Cocaine and other drugs on knife steel.

Etho

I saw this today and thought it was interesting. This is the knife I use at work. Kershaw/Ken Onion Blur. I've had it for 3 or 4 years and it became my delegated work knife when I went to patrol. As a result it gets used to cut open packages of dope mostly Marijuana and Cocaine. I also use it shave off slivers of crack(cocaine) for field testing. I never noticed but the small pieces and remnants of the drugs has actually eaten into the metal. Scary that whatever chemicals they use in the processing of the drugs can do this to metal. I don't think the Marijuana did this, you can see the brown gunk at the tip that's the marijuana resin. Dunno if it's a specific drug, chemical in the drug or a combination of the drugs mixed that did it.

Sorry for the bad pic, my camera won't work so I'm using my cell phone

IMG_20110801_082927.jpg

I'll try to get some better pictures later when my battery charges for my camera. It's actually pitted the damn metal. It almost has to be from the coke and other "hard" drugs. No way in hell THC would do this, or I wouldn't think anyway...

Coke must be very acidic.

You'd be surprised at the chemicals used to process/cut cocaine and other drugs. Cocaine, IIRC, is actually very alkaline, but could pit the steel anyway. Heroin could, plus there are some pretty strong acids used in the NIK field tests. Just a little bit on the steel could do something like that.

You'd be surprised at the chemicals used to process/cut cocaine and other drugs. Cocaine, IIRC, is actually very alkaline, but could pit the steel anyway. Heroin could, plus there are some pretty strong acids used in the NIK field tests. Just a little bit on the steel could do something like that.

One of the most key chemical in Marquis, Duqenois and Scott's reagent tests is HCL! If I test with eye dropper tests versus NIK that damn HCL will burn nose hair off no matter far away you put your face. Yes cocaine is a weak base. Has a Ph in the high 9's if I remember right.

Edited by Etho

I have had resinstainmany a knife blade.

Dont know why.

Yeah you can see it up at the front.

Not too hard to imagine. You know as well as I do some weed has resin that is VERY sticky and gets stuck on everything. It does have chemicals in it, albeit natural ones, but I'd imagine they could stain some stuff. I know it stains my fingers when I grab a pinch of really "resiny" weed.