zollen

AR 40 rounds magazine

armagazine1.jpg

Close Up Diagram

armagazine2.jpg

Cross-section Diagram

armagazine3.jpg

The total upward pressure of a fully loaded magazine is equally distributed between the top first round and the pressure damper.

The total amount of upward pressure of 40 rounds, divided by 2 should be less than the total amount of upward pressure exerted by a 30 rounds magazine.

Edited by zollen

i dont understand, is this something you are making? or asking if it would work or what?

your post is unclear as to what you are asking/ stating.

:unsure:

i dont understand, is this something you are making? or asking if it would work or what?

your post is unclear as to what you are asking/ stating.

:unsure:

Do you think this concept would work?

Edited by zollen

Zollen, again, you are designing solutions for things that are not a problem....

Zollen, again, you are designing solutions for things that are not a problem....

agreed. i dont think the damper is needed, and i think it would interfere with loading and feeding to be honest. are you saying you think its needed (the damper) to reduce pressure from a fully loaded magazine because of the extra spring pressure needed to move 10 more rounds reliably?

maybe a 50 round mag would give more problems but i think 10 extra rounds wouldnt be that bad. the "kink" in the AR mag is what gives the issues. if there was a way for the mag to smoothly curve like an AK mag, i think the problem would be solved.

if you are just asking, you got my answer. if you are experiementing and actually doing this. good luck :thumb:

post pics. :wink:

There are already 40rd magazines.

197017.jpg

CLICK HERE!

Edited by Don29palms

Here are some of "Zollens Zingers".

Gas Pressure Protection System

Self-Propelled Gas Piston System

Circular Direct Impingement Gas System

Seriously Zollen, you have yet to design something that needs a fix, your solutions only add complication to the uncomplicated

There are already 40rd magazines.

197017.jpg

CLICK HERE!

I will see your 40 round magazine and raise you 48!

48 Rounder

MA-L5-48.jpg

Won't work. The cartridges will jam under the damper as you call it. Even if it were tapered to allow you to make it feed you are still trading one problem for a worse one.

What is the worse problem? Mags have a certain springiness to the feed lips. Don't believe me? Dig out the calipers and do some measuring.

After time you will find that the mags wear out, the springiness is gone from the lips and they become mishapen. You can bend them back if they are metal but eventually they will break where the lip turns into the body of the magazine.

All you are doing is putting all the pressure and repeated hammering on one lip. It will fail twice as fast.

Now if you really want to reinvent the AR-15 magazine, find a way to do it with constant force flat coil springs. I don't think I have seen it done before with an AR mag but it has been done with others. The old Butler Creek Ruger mark II mags had flat coils and they were a breeze to load. Same force required from first to last cartridge going in or coming out.

That would be something to see if it could be made to work.

Or you can just go back to the thought originally with AR magazines. They were made cheaply because they were supposed to be disposable. Empties were supposed to be discarded. Then the bean counters realized how much money would be left laying on the battlefield and they were reused.

Edited by MontanaLon

Can we see a picture of Zollen's AR?

I will see your 40 round magazine and raise you 48!

48 Rounder

MA-L5-48.jpg

I accept that and raise you a 60rd and 100rd MAGAZINE! CLICK HERE!

I accept that and raise you a 60rd and 100rd MAGAZINE! CLICK HERE!

I will see your 100 and raise you 150

150 Rounds

you might go buy a surefire mag and pull it apart then post the pics on here to show how they fixed this "problem"

aaaah to hell with it, let's all just get belt fed Stoner AR10's :smartass:

I can tellya for 1 I don't want bigger than a 30 rd mag for actual combat applications they're difficult enough to pull from a loaded vest, that's why I carried most of mine in dropleg rigs much easier to pull in a rush, also a bigger mag is just gonna get hung up on stuff when negotiating objects etc, another zollen solution to a non-existant problem, which btw as stated by numerous other posters has already been done and functioned without issue, but still you don't see anyone carrying em into combat

Well without getting into the marketing, no I don't think it will.

You're damper design is heavily dependent on friction and a given brass shape and condition. By the time, you beta test it, you will have such an angle on that thing to compensate for different brass conditions, it won't be a damper anymore but simply a round positioner, which really brings up the question why.

Just me, and why my engineer butt doesn't own any of the super high cap mags, keeping in mind when I was trashing 1,000s of rounds in my Military days in 20 rounders, I see the problem as much the round variances as any mag design. I think you could design a machined mag, hold tolerances to 0.001" and used machined springs but once you add so many rounds the variance in that ammunition alone is going to cause the occasional jam.

The problem I think when most people think of this issue, they think range instead of field. If you remember the old movies of us guys tapping our 20 rounders on our helmets, well, we tap the hell of them in our guns too. If I give plastic mags one nod, its they reduce mag friction, but then they don't address round to round either and what you gain on the side friction, you lose on the bullet tip.

I just think from a design standpoint, you reach a point of diminishing returns. You can push the envelope a little but then without redesigning the round, you're limited.

Tj