I'm looking at a bright stainless Colt Delta Elite 10mm...it seems to be used but in decent shape. It has a few marks and some kind of blemish on the top of the slide near the ejection port but otherwise, it looks great! I think she'll clean up nice with a little TLC.

Now, the question is, do you guys thing this gun would be better to buy than a NIB Ruger SR1911? I could get either one for around 6 bills. I'm leaning towards the Delta because I do collect Colts (Anaconda, King Cobra, Python) The Delta would compliment my collection, but I also want a stainless 1911 that I can carry and not worry about the finish so much. Thus, I am not too worried about the several minor blemishes.

What do you guys think?

I would jump on a stainless Delta in $600 in decent condition. One nice thing about stainless is blemishes buff out, and the finish can be changed easily: Polish, brushed, blasted, etc.

I picked up a stainless P16-40 in March that had some blemishes. Converted it to 10mm and worked it over on the outside with the dremel tool and polishing wheel, then some 600 grit wet sanding. Looks like new.

Get the DE!

Rugers are a dime a dozen or soon will be.

Mine has few blems but so what. It is a shooter and a one of my favorite 10's.

Plus it is a Colt and a classic name in the firearms industry..

Do you know what year it is?

Even though I answered the question already I will restate here the delta. If it turns out to be a factory polish finish would love to see pictures.

I'm a little confused...it looks like stainless but a magnet sticks to the slide. Could this be nickel plated or magnetic stainless? I'm having a hard time determining what it is! Regardless, I brought it home last night! :thumb: But I would like to figure out what I have here! It is 1988 vintage as per phone call to Colt.

cf6cb559.jpg

5e413198.jpg

be3fbadc.jpg

b2302a1d.jpg

eddb3e08.jpg

e49e6c68.jpg

3de9b4f4.jpg

a61069ad.jpg

e097674c.jpg

7f69c484.jpg

Edited by RocketFoot

Sweet gun. I love SS 1911s :thumb:

As to SS being magnetic, it depends on the type. Higher nickel content in SS makes it non magnetic, but a higher chromium mixture of alloys makes it more magnetic.

I think this has more Chromium in it

Nice delta you got there

Thanks guys! She is a beauty! I'll be even happier when I determine if she's stainless or plated! Wonder how I can tell for sure?

Pretty sure that is typical for stainless Delta Elites of that era. The first gen were polished I think.

The shop I bought it from still insists that it is stainless but someone polished the sides of the slide. I'm gonna detail strip it this weekend so maybe I can find more clues! Either way, I love it!

I would call Colt with the SN and see how it left the factory, but the DE has my vote too. The Ruger should become more available down the road and drop in price - they are at a premium right now.

Edited by remat457

Curious if you ever called Colt to see what they say about it? Not putting down your gun but the very well done pictures you posted sure look like nickel to me, rather than stainless. If I remember the OP you got it for a very good price, no matter what the finish or raw material might be.

Dave