steelvipersedg

Who Reams Barrels for an Mauser M2 Conv. to 10mm?

Hey,

:CONFUS12: I am thinking about picking up an M2 and i am wondering if anyone knows a smith I can ship the .40 barrel to lathe it to 10mm. I know the barrel is to hard to ream.

My other question is: I read on other forums that the .40 model can by changed to .45 just by swapping the barrel and magazine. This does not sound right to me. Shouldn't the breach face and extractor be different? Does anyone with one of these know if that is true? Thanks :satch:

I had my Para-Ordinance reamed Steve by Mars Armament. They did a great job and were not terribly expensive. I picked them because they were local, but I am sure they would work with you.

If you go with them, mention my name (Mitch) to Steve. He actually used my reamer. I would be glad to loan it to him for another 10mm forum member. If he needs it and doesn't have my contact info, just send me a PM.

edit: I just sent Steve an email and mentioned that he was welcome to use my reamer for your project if you decide to go that route.

Edited by sqlbullet

I did the very first conversion of the M2 which has inspired others.

No you cannot swap the magazine and barrel of the 40 to 45 and then shoot 45. While it might work you are beating up the extractor on a gun that you will have a hard time getting parts for. CDNN has for a while had spare slides they bought in quantity from Mauser. Most of those where 45acp. I would get one of them. I have never seen them on CDNN's website but I have seen them in their mailer.

I had my Para-Ordinance reamed Steve by Mars Armament. They did a great job and were not terribly expensive. I picked them because they were local, but I am sure they would work with you.

If you go with them, mention my name (Mitch) to Steve. He actually used my reamer. I would be glad to loan it to him for another 10mm forum member. If he needs it and doesn't have my contact info, just send me a PM.

edit: I just sent Steve an email and mentioned that he was welcome to use my reamer for your project if you decide to go that route.

:thumb: sounds good but I am pretty sure the Barrel on the M2 is too hard to ream and has to be lathed out. It is why I posted here since I knew panzer was the first to do it. So correct me if I am wrong Panzer. If I am wrong I would more then willing to ship it out to your smith who has done this work in the past.

Panzer any problems with your conversion? Does the M2 digest the full bore 10? Since you are the president of Elite I would assume it has digested a steady diet of true 10mm loads.

:thumb: sounds good but I am pretty sure the Barrel on the M2 is too hard to ream and has to be lathed out. It is why I posted here since I knew panzer was the first to do it. So correct me if I am wrong Panzer. If I am wrong I would more then willing to ship it out to your smith who has done this work in the past.

The M2 is a 2 part barrel. The chamber is heat treated vanadium steel. The first time I tried to have the chamber reamed out the chamber ate 2 reamers. Now this was over 10 years ago and back then Ti coated reamers weren't as common. I do believe they where standard reamers. Newer Ti reamer might work, I don't know.

Any good machine shop can do it. Just bring in the barrel explain about the steel and why you want it lathed. Bring a 40 and 10mm round so they get it. Make sure they cut the chamber deep enough to allow the barrel to rotate. The first time we cut my chamber we did not turn it deep enough and the case head bound on the breach face.

Panzer any problems with your conversion? Does the M2 digest the full bore 10? Since you are the president of Elite I would assume it has digested a steady diet of true 10mm loads.

I have fired everything through it without a problem including our 200gr bear rounds.

Again thanks for the input. Mitch is your reamer Ti coated? I mean I wouldn't want to have the barrel eat your reamer.

Mine is just a standard Clymer reamer. Sounds like your gun would eat it and grin. :oh yea:

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

:CONFUS12: So I guess I am back where I started...

Does anyone know a smith that will Lathe a barrel out to 10mm from .40. I am a Berreta and SIG Armorer and do have a basic knowledge of the inner working of most guns but.. I am no machinest so I would prefer to send it to a shop that I knew had some expierence with such conversions. :surrender: HELP

Panzer does the shop you took yours to except outside (read mail in) work.

:CONFUS12: So I guess I am back where I started...

Does anyone know a smith that will Lathe a barrel out to 10mm from .40. I am a Berreta and SIG Armorer and do have a basic knowledge of the inner working of most guns but.. I am no machinest so I would prefer to send it to a shop that I knew had some expierence with such conversions. :surrender: HELP

Panzer does the shop you took yours to except outside (read mail in) work.

He retired a few years back or I would have been happy to send you his way. Have you tried the phone book? Being there when it's cut is a plus so you can stick the barrel in the slide and make sure it does not bind.

He retired a few years back or I would have been happy to send you his way. Have you tried the phone book? Being there when it's cut is a plus so you can stick the barrel in the slide and make sure it does not bind.

Barry retired?

Last year I sent someone to him. Barry replied that he was not doing it any more but would think about it. I am not sure if that one ever got completed. Or who completed it.

I have sent several folks his way since he did mine 6 or more years ago.

It was Jay's M2 that inspired me to do mine so long ago. I may have been the 2nd one.

m2-10s.jpg

In regards to full bore 10MM. not only does the M2 eat it up, but it makes it feel like you are shooting a 40. I and everyone that I let shoot the little Mauser have always been impressed at the extremely low perceived recoil from this compact 10MM package.

Edited by colt_saa

Barry retired?

Last year I sent someone to him. Barry replied that he was not doing it any more but would think about it. I am not sure if that one ever got completed. Or who completed it.

I have sent several folks his way since he did mine 6 or more years ago.

It was Jay's M2 that inspired me to do mine so long ago. I may have been the 2nd one.

m2-10s.jpg

In regards to full bore 10MM. not only does the M2 eat it up, but it makes it feel like you are shooting a 40. I and everyone that I let shoot the little Mauser have always been impressed at the extremely low perceived recoil from this compact 10MM package.

Not Barry the guy with the lathe who turned the chamber. Barry and Claudia are trying to move Maxons into a much bigger shop.

Finally picked up my M2 now onto the conversion. I got ahold of a shop in Florida that will do the work (got it from Skyandscuba on Glocktalk). Just got to send them the barrel.

Range report so far I put a little over hundred various .40 through it... it prints about 3" high with the sights, I have been practicing dry firing to work out it's trigger (different is all I can say), recoild is mild from a smaller framed pistol. Hope it stays that way with the 10mm.

Another side note: :unsure: How did you guys remove the dimples that hold in the spacers. I got the bottom set out fine with a file, but the top two sets are a pain because the magazine angles won't let me work the file in there. i was thinking about drilling them out (outside to in).

Finally picked up my M2 now onto the conversion. I got ahold of a shop in Florida that will do the work (got it from Skyandscuba on Glocktalk). Just got to send them the barrel.

Range report so far I put a little over hundred various .40 through it... it prints about 3" high with the sights, I have been practicing dry firing to work out it's trigger (different is all I can say), recoild is mild from a smaller framed pistol. Hope it stays that way with the 10mm.

Another side note: :unsure: How did you guys remove the dimples that hold in the spacers. I got the bottom set out fine with a file, but the top two sets are a pain because the magazine angles won't let me work the file in there. i was thinking about drilling them out (outside to in).

I drilled them all out from the outside and then used a small file to remove any burs.

I drilled them all out from the outside and then used a small file to remove any burs.

Any update to this conversion/thread?!

Any update to this conversion/thread?!

Which poster update? I did it first years ago and the gun is working just fine still even after me pounding the hell out of it with hot loads.