Hoss622

Best Para Conversion Barrel?

Newbie and first post.

I'm looking to buy a Para P16-40 and convert to 10mm. I'd like to fit a new 10mm barrel, and keep the .40 barrel for grins.

What's the consensus on the best barrel for a project like this? I'd be having Andy Horvath do the fitting work, so it doesn't have to be a drop in barrel. Andy is famous for his sixguns, but can literally do anything.

I had mine reamed, but if I were buying, I would go with Nowlin.

Good luck with your conversion.

I had mine reamed, but if I were buying, I would go with Nowlin.

Good luck with your conversion.

Will this work easily? On the Storm Lake website, when you are buying a barrel, you have to specify a Para / Clark ramp, or a Nowlin / Clark ramp. Seems like the Nowlin ramp isn't the right style or something.

Edited by Hoss622

The ramps are different. I believe Nowlin will make a Clark/Para ramped barrel on a special order basis. I am quite certain they have in the past as I read about at least one Nowlin/Para conversion when I was researching mine.

If they no longer do so, my second choice would be Bar-Sto.

Edited by sqlbullet

The ramps are different. I believe Nowlin will make a Clark/Para ramped barrel on a special order basis. I am quite certain they have in the past as I read about at least one Nowlin/Para conversion when I was researching mine.

If they no longer do so, my second choice would be Bar-Sto.

I emailed Nowlin, and they no longer make a Clark / Para ramped barrel.

I'm thinking if I get a Bar-sto oversized gunsmithing barrel, my guy would fit the barrel to the existing bushing and frame / slide, so that the orginal .40 barrel should be able to continue to drop right in.

I emailed Nowlin, and they no longer make a Clark / Para ramped barrel.

I'm thinking if I get a Bar-sto oversized gunsmithing barrel, my guy would fit the barrel to the existing bushing and frame / slide, so that the orginal .40 barrel should be able to continue to drop right in.

It also looks like Storm Lake is another option. Which is better?

There's options beside 'Storm Lake' and 'Nowlin'. Bar-Sto Precision Machine makes some of the best barrels in the business, I would check them out. Here's a link:http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=PARA

I shoot the Nowlin barrels in my 9X21's. Super quality barrels. The ramps themselves are no different it is the cut to handle the beefed up area in front of the ramp that goes down in the frame that makes the Nowlin/Wilson different than the Clark/Para type. I also have a Clark Ramp in a 9 MM I shot and they are not compatible. I also have several pistols with Barsto barrels in a standard configuration that I use in matches.

John Nowlin and Bill Wilson were very good friends and worked on many projects together. I was privileged to shoot with both of them many times at the Oil Capital Gun Club in Tulsa. John built me several pistols and I miss him frequently.

His daughter , Andrea, has just taken over the business and I have been corresponding with her quite a bit lately. I think that Nowlin Custom Guns will be making more of a dent in the shooting world in the near future. She went through several boxes and dug me up one of John's old 2 Port comps and a few cone barrel bushings that I received last week. I'll be putting them to use on a future project.

If my frame was not cut for a barrel at this point I would probably stick with the regular style made by Nowlin or Barsto in the non-ramped configuration. I think either would be a great shooter.

Greg