Navy_guy27

Gas Piston conversion

hey guys i am building a AR with a gas piston system i have an Adams Arms gas piston stripped upper reciever and i am wondering if anyone knows if the Osprey defense gas piston system will fit the adams arms upper reciever as i like the low profile of the osprey defense system over the adams arms bulky system and i am not sure if the drive rod for the Osprey defense system will fit through the hole in the AA upper reciever as it is already presized for the adams arms gas piston system so if the OD gas piston drive rod is bigger than AA gas piston drive rod it wont work if anyone knows if they are the same size drive rod it would be very appreciated information

:flea:

welcome. periods "." are your friend.

The Osprey system. Oh yes. The system that will "fit under your handguards". Here is the only rail system I found after testing 5 different rails that I found would work with it (and that was after some dremel tool work)

DSC_3100.jpg

Yes the VLTOR CAS-M. I had to Dremel out some of the stancions too to get the right clearance for the massive piston.

The problem is this:

SS_2.jpg

1) The kidney-shaped piston, will not fit most standard profile rails

2) The Op-rod will not work with most Free-Float Barrel Nuts

3) The system must be accessed from under the rail, so a fixed rail system means you cannot get to your system

Needless to say I sold this gun...

DSC_3103.jpg

Go with the Adams. It is a far better system.

Here is Osprey's FAQ for rails"

Included high-heat polymer handguards provided with every Osprey Defense Gas Piston kit. (Standard handguards with NO HEATSHIELDS!)

Midwest Industries 17P Rail System Non-FF Drop in.....

Midwest Industries 20P Rail System 2 piece drop in, no FF

Spikes Tactical B.A.R. Junk

American Built Arms MOD1 Handguards (2 piece)

Surefire 500 series integrated handguard with light. (this is a handguard, not a rail) Handguard

Magpul MOE Handguards with slight modification to upper heat shield (Nope, dis-proven by me)

Please keep in mind that free float hand guards that are approved for our system will require the purchase of a modified op-rod. (which they never have in stock, which makes me think they don't make them)

Several manufacturers have notified us that they are working on design revisions to specifically accommodate this system, so watch for those in the very near future! (Not True, no one wants to build a rail for this system)

With slight modification there are MANY rail systems out there that work just fine. Our system is typically lower profile than other solutions so clearance is due to rail system internal dimension width to accomodate the unique kidney shape of the piston chamber.

BTW the Osprey system is just a knock off the the Ares System:

G35XM607.JPG

I am sorry but the Aeries system is totally different to the Osprey, that's like saying a Ford is the same as a GMC. I have used the Osprey on many of my guns and have used most of the hand guards and rails suggested on their site and you can include the Midwest SS series of tube as well, using the appropriate op rod. To bemoan that a special op rod is needed in some is ridiculous and I have never had a problem getting op rods.

The new Magpul MOA hand guard does not need any modification to work and the system can be used with all carbine and rifle length gas systems unlike some.To me it says they are trying to accommodate us, how many rails are available for other systems without modifications, including Adams arms. Oh and as an after thought we have one gun with approx 12000+ rounds on it without any failures and we still have not cleaned the piston under the Midwest series ss-12 rail/tube and clean the bolt and carrier with a cloth and a little break free and yes opinions are like A holes everybody has one.

How many rails are available to the Adams Arms System that require no modification?

here list of handguards we currently know will work with the Adams Arms system without any modifications

Samson Star-C

Samson Star-C- EX-P

Samson Star-M

Samson Star-M- EX-P

Samson Star-R

Samson Star-4

Samson Star-4-DI

Samson Star-4-EX

Samson Star-DI

Samson Evolution Series 4 EX

Samson Evolution Series 7

Samson Evolution Series 7 EX

Samson Evolution Series 9

Samson Evolution Series 9 EX

Samson Evolution Series 12.37

Daniel Defense Standard Length Omega Rails

Daniel Defense Standard Length Lite Rails

Daniel Defense Standard Length Omega X Rails

Daniel Defense 9.5 FSP Lite

Daniel Defense 12.5 FSPM Lite

Daniel Defense EZ Car 7.0

Ergo Grip AR Z Float

Ergo Grip AR Z Rail

Midwest Industries Gas Piston Two Piece Free Float Forearm

Arms #50 Bi-Level S.I.R. System

Magpul MOE handguards (most recent version cut to accept gas pistons)

Troy Industries Drop In Carbine (Mid length and Rifle length require removal of handguard tension screw and arm)

Troy Industries TRX Battlerail Extreme 9" and 7.2"

PRI Gen III Delta Carbon Fiber Forearm

Newtown Firearms Modular Free Floating Carbine Rail

That is 33 rails guaranteed to work with the Adams Arms System.

I think you meant the MOE Handguard? Nope, I disproved it. To get it to work you have to cut away too much of the heat shield, the thing that holds it in place.

Interesting, I tried the MI SS 9", not enough clearance.

The Ares system is where the idea for the Osprey was taken. The Ares system has the problem of not a large enough expansion chamber for the gas, this is fixed by the large muffler sized piston on the Osprey. I have installed both systems. Functionally the Osprey system is a great system, it simply suffers from a lack of flexibility for rails.

Also, to be a real competitor in the piston game you have to be able to access the Piston System for cleaning and maintenance. With the Osprey system, you cannot do it quickly unless you are using a drop-in rail or handguard. A freefloat rail would require you to unbolt the rail from the barrel nut to fix or access it.

I have been running piston guns almost exclusively since 2007. I have tested the Adams, both generations of PWS, LMT, POF, Ares and Osprey. Only the systems that claim to fit under your handguards are inaccessible in a free-float setup.

If Osprey was smart they would have developed a rail or rails to go with their system. This is sad and very telling:

Osprey's Rail list:

Osprey.png

Adams Rail list:

Adams.png

Who is "We" as in "Oh and as an after thought we have one gun with approx 12000+ rounds on"

If opinions are like "A holes", explain to me what facts are? In this case, facts would be a flying rainbow unicorn, something that you do not have in your possession.....

Edited by jtrain

You seem to have missed the point Navy_guy27 asked if the Osprey piston would fit in the Adams Arm upper and gone off on a tangent and I am sorry that I am not as uptight about it as you seen to have gotten yourself in. As I have said I have not had to clean it so why fix it if it is not broken.

hey guys i am building a AR with a gas piston system i have an Adams Arms gas piston stripped upper reciever and i am wondering if anyone knows if the Osprey defense gas piston system will fit the adams arms upper reciever as i like the low profile of the osprey defense system over the adams arms bulky system and i am not sure if the drive rod for the Osprey defense system will fit through the hole in the AA upper reciever as it is already presized for the adams arms gas piston system so if the OD gas piston drive rod is bigger than AA gas piston drive rod it wont work if anyone knows if they are the same size drive rod it would be very appreciated information

:flea:

Yes it will fit.

You seem to have missed the point Navy_guy27 asked if the Osprey piston would fit in the Adams Arm upper and gone off on a tangent and I am sorry that I am not as uptight about it as you seen to have gotten yourself in. As I have said I have not had to clean it so why fix it if it is not broken.

I am not uptight. I was letting Navy_guy27 know that if he had plans for a FF rail that they would be limited. You do realize that even modern gunpowder has elements in them that through extended exposure, will cause metals and polymers to breakdown, oxidize and pit right? Also unless you regularly exercise that piston, it will eventually seize due the the aforementioned issues... Self-cleaning is not foolproof...

Edited by jtrain

Self-cleaning is not foolproof...

"Self-cleaning" firearms are rarer than bigfoot, as in, they do not exist.

I bought my house from an enchanted cobbler and when he moved away he left his magic elves behind. Since there are no shoes to fix anymore the do the maintenance on my firearms. :don29:

I bought my house from an enchanted cobbler and when he moved away he left his magic elves behind. Since there are no shoes to fix anymore the do the maintenance on my firearms. :don29:

:laugh:

:laugh:

Osprey claims to be self-cleaning

(from the site)

Virtually eliminates fouling

Imagine 13 times increased reliability

Imagine 13 times the number of rounds between cleanings

Imagine using your existing gun platform…….all of it except your gas tube.

Machined out of the finest materials including Cobalt, which is 3X stronger than titanium!

Fire your gun filthy…..covered in sand, mud, water and snow.

Self Cleaning, actually removes its own contaminants.

No venting means no holes for dirt and contaminants to enter the system.

The orginal issued Colt M 16 was not supposed to need cleaning when released for use in the late 60s early 70 era....wasnt but a few months cleaning kits were issued ....

I have yet to see a weapon that didnt need some maintaining of some sort

A walking dead thread :onfire: