im shooting a stock glock 20 barrel. i think its 4.76" in length? im not certain. i was wondering what kind of muzzle velocity should i be looking for in 180gr. fmj bvac ammo? also, i was wondering what velocities would be considered as "HOT LOAD" velocities?? :)

BCGUNCOLL, there is a fellow (drsjr1969 ) on YouTube/FaceBook who has tested it in his G-20

BVAC manufacture listed at 1200 fps actual average velocity recorded was 1035.8 and 1016.2 fps as tested!

YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/user/drsjr1969?feature=mhee

FaceBook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/10mm-ammo/188837037856507

Scroll down the web page at the link below look for the charts Courtsey of http://www.bren-ten.com/website/id7.html

Trying to achieve the levels shown are a challenge of powder used and barrel lengths which are not listed...

what ever the manufacture claims, knock at least 100 fps off of that.

a few companies: SF, BB, and Hornandy give you in real life what they claim.

a few companies: SF, BB, and Hornandy give you in real life what they claim.

We are finding Buffalo bore in the heavier weights aren't up to specs.

i just joined here a little while ago; have been reading a lot of posts; interesting stuff! this topic caught my interest.

the BV 180jhp gave me ~1050ish to 1100fps over a pact chrono 9' from the muzzle of a delta elite just last week. the box isnt more than 2 weeks old. it is an easy shooting round. just received 2 boxes of underwood 165jhp. im anxious to run them through the delta over the chrono to see what kind of power shows up.

as a comparison, the norma ammo from the late 80s was running ~mid 1100s fps for the 200 gr and ~mid 1200s with the 170jhp at that time when i first picked up my 10mm delta elite.

i suppose one could argue with the results from then to now because they were recorded with 2 different chronos. i was using a chrony back then for the 10mm data... not sure how it is calibrated as compared to the pact chrono which i picked up back then and am still using today.

as another note; some of the reloading manuals today have lighter max loads listed as well, compared to that time when the 10mm was born. not sure why..... the current manuals really mess up the the 300 wby mag; very mild in most cases i have seen; load a max from the manual, then fire a factory round; the factory round gave me ~200fps more.

sorry for rambling... food for thought anyway

double post.

Edited by JERRY S.

i just joined here a little while ago; have been reading a lot of posts; interesting stuff! this topic caught my interest.

the BV 180jhp gave me ~1050ish to 1100fps over a pact chrono 9' from the muzzle of a delta elite just last week. the box isnt more than 2 weeks old. it is an easy shooting round. just received 2 boxes of underwood 165jhp. im anxious to run them through the delta over the chrono to see what kind of power shows up.

as a comparison, the norma ammo from the late 80s was running ~mid 1100s fps for the 200 gr and ~mid 1200s with the 170jhp at that time when i first picked up my 10mm delta elite

i suppose one could argue with the results from then to now because they were recorded with 2 different chronos. i was using a chrony back then for the 10mm data... not sure how it is calibrated as compared to the pact chrono which i picked up back then and am still using today.

as another note; some of the reloading manuals today have lighter max loads listed as well, compared to that time when the 10mm was born. not sure why..... the current manuals really mess up the the 300 wby mag; very mild in most cases i have seen; load a max from the manual, then fire a factory round; the factory round gave me ~200fps more.

i always thought and read it somewhere that the Norma specs were 200gr. @ 1200 fps and 170gr. @ 1400 fps.

when did it change to slower speeds?

i always thought and read it somewhere that the Norma specs were 200gr. @ 1200 fps and 170gr. @ 1400 fps.

when did it change to slower speeds?

i remember reading that as well. i was never able to get quoted factory velocities out of a box of ammo. i think that is why i bought a chrono.....

as a comparison, the norma ammo from the late 80s was running ~mid 1100s fps for the 200 gr and ~mid 1200s with the 170jhp at that time when i first picked up my 10mm delta elite.I alao just joines forum I have lurked here for quite awhile but tbthis post really caught my eye, I have also have had a .300 Weatherby since 1988 and just recently , finally after 25 years finally got my personal dream pistol a brand new (paperwork in box from Glock says made in June2013) G20 sf and I wanted to start handloading, I have also heard from other people that new reloading manuals are showing max loads a lot more towards the old middle loadings well hello to all Iam glad I found this forum I don't think I ever have found Underwood without this forum.

You sound like a man after my own heart I love my .300 Weatherby and 10mm auto it is good to know also that new max loads are getting weaker

Edited by halfglocked

I use the cheapest 10mm ammo for practice and have been collecting Corbon ammo when I run across it for duty/defense/hunting needs. Pi makes the best ammo I have tries in my 10mm. I am impressed with the 130gr 10mm Powerball load. It is my go-to defense round. Lots of velocity, lower penetration (won't go through the neighbors house, too) and dumps lots of energy fast.

I too have been into handloading for the 10mm since my first in March 1990, loading data was scarce or non existent. I developed many of my own loads using Hercules Blue Dot.

Today, I enjoy using several different powders to bring out the true potential of the potent 10mm with various bullet types and weights. On another forum I have been posting data and pictures of pull-downs of commercial ammo to see what make them tick! Great learning experience for all who are into handloading their own stuff.

Double Tap ammo use to be the premeire company for 10mm and is partly responsible for 10mm not going away completely! Even though his ammo has lost some favor because it was not living up to its claims of advertisement, it is still good ammo.

Underwood has been one of the companies to bring out real 10mm ammo performance as well. His ammo has a very strong following and customer service...kudos the Kevin.

Other companies are all also loading the 10mm cartridge trying to bring out quality products...examples Buffalo Bore, CorBon, Ted Nugent, PBR, Georgia Arms, and others.

Get some and have some fun! :thumbsup:

Except Underwood - their stuff tends to meet or exceed their claims.