Sign in to follow this  
Delphin25

Traveling to and from the range safely and legally in CA?

So I'm always very careful traveling to and from the range.

Ive reviewed the laws on the web site.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

But my friend had a question about leaving empty mags in the rifle while going to and from the range.

I said I usually take them out and put them in the range bag empty or full.

Then lock the rifle with cable lock then lock the range bag/ammo and rifle (locked) in the case into the trunk. No problem.

According to the web site rifles just have to be "unloaded" are not required to be transported in a locked container.

Hate to open up another hornets nest, but I want to be smart about it and don't want others to get in trouble or ruin it for us.

Oh yeh I keep a copy of the CA flowchart in my AR bag so I can show any LEO if I had to why my rifle is CA compliant.

Also a copy of the ban list.

So what are some of the gray areas to avoid and are they legal? ie

1. empty mag in the rifle mag well?

2. full mags in pouch on rifle bag?

3. you cant have a full mag (10 rnds) in the well but an empty chamber can you? what if its locked in the truck or case or both? (No this is covered in the booklet as loaded I believe)

4. Sitting on the front passenger seat?

5. Gun rack in a truck window?

I guess that's why I try and avoid any of the gray areas.

Like in the post how not to get in trouble with an AR, which is great.

Also when you buy a new rifle it has to have a lock, which is a good thing.

Pistols are another issue. I just treat every gun like a pistol and I'm safe. But its good to know the laws.

Oh and you can travel all you want it doesn't have to be to and from the range only, not sure if this was ever the case?

I guess the handbook covers it better in plain english. pdf link below

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf

Ahh, thats better haven't read the booklet in a while. LOL

Edited by Delphin25

Ammo COMPLETELY separate from the gun is the key. As long as you follow that you will be okay. I put the ammo and mags in the ammo cans, the rifles in cases and both locked in the truck out of my reach.

Simple.

So what are some of the gray areas to avoid and are they legal? ie

1. empty mag in the rifle mag well? That is legal

2. full mags in pouch on rifle bag?That is legal

3. you cant have a full mag (10 rnds) in the well but an empty chamber can you? NO! That is a loaded weapon

what if its locked in the truck or case or both? (No this is covered in the booklet as loaded I believe) Loaded weapon

4. Sitting on the front passenger seat? As long as it is not loaded and you don't go within 1000' of a school

5. Gun rack in a truck window? As long as it is not loaded and you don't go within 1000' of a school

Whenever I transport my ARs I leave an EMPTY magazine in it with the bolt locked open. I have a hard case that is locked. My reason for leaving an empty magazine in it is that if for some reason I get pulled over and I am stupid enough to admit to a cop that I have a gun in my truck he has the authority to check and make sure it's not loaded. If it doesn't have a magazine in it the officer can say that it has the ability to accept a detachable magazine even though it has a bullet button. With an empty magazine in it there is no doubt that it takes the use of a tool to remove the magazine. There is a federal Gun Free School Zone law that says firearms within 1000' of a school must be unloaded and locked. You trunk of your car is considered a locked container. I don't have a trunk on any of my vehicles so I use hard cases with locks. You can have loaded magazines in the case with the firearm. They just cannot be loaded in the firearm. Handguns have another set of rules. How I transport my firearms, longarms or handguns, is always in a locked hard case. Semi autos will have an empty magazine in them. I carry all my ammo in a separate container or bag. If I do get pulled over and asked if I have a gun in the car my answer is. "I have nothing illegal in my car and I do not consent to a search." If I am asked what is in the gun case my answer is "I have nothing illegal in my car and I do not consent to a search." More people get in trouble by running their mouthes. Be polite but don't answer anything more than is necessary in other words just STFU! Don't admit to anything that can give probable cause. The less you say the better.

Awesome replies.

I knew I could count on you Don. Thanks a bunch.

Good idea with the empty mag.

I try to be real careful and responsible, because I'd hate to make a mistake.

Now are bayonets legal in Ca?

reading a thread like this brings me back why I moved out of california.

So true you had to say it three times.

What a terrible way to have to live, being oppressed under the constant burden of regulations.

I love California, but could never deal with the gun BS and a lot of the other regulatory shat. It's why I left Illinois, and Illinois isn't nearly as oppressive.

Awesome replies.

I knew I could count on you Don. Thanks a bunch.

Good idea with the empty mag.

I try to be real careful and responsible, because I'd hate to make a mistake.

Now are bayonets legal in Ca?

Yes but why? In my opinion and it's just my opinion they are pointless on an AR. I don't like the way they look either. I just figure if I have to use my gun to stab someone I'm out of bullets. Again just my opinion.

LOL

yeh my 1972 M7 bayonet is the ultimate example of total pointless self indulgence.

But after all the fuss to finally be able to have a bayonet lug legally I just had to have a bayonet to go with the lug. ha ha

Oh and also I put one of my little finger bullet button tools in the stock storage, but realized this may be a bad idea as it could then be considered part of the rifle.

Yeh I know most out of state folks, particularly from Arizona Texas and the like cant believe what we have to put up with here, but fellow Californians understand, that's why I posted here.

I'd rather be inconvenienced and safe/legal than banned.

Going to the shop at lunch today to feed the addiction. Trying hard not to look like a mall ninja. LOL

It's all good!

Here's how I do it.

I hav a voodoo bag for my Cable locked AR. I then cable lock the bag and put that in the trunk. I then put my ammo, Eotech box, Cleaning kit, targets and small stuff in a back pack and put that inside the cabin of the vehicle. Hope this helps.

Here's how I do it.

I hav a voodoo bag for my Cable locked AR. I then cable lock the bag and put that in the trunk. I then put my ammo, Eotech box, Cleaning kit, targets and small stuff in a back pack and put that inside the cabin of the vehicle. Hope this helps.

Better safe than sorry. If you put your backpack in the trunk it wouldn't make a difference. I have hard cases with padlocks on them for my rifles and handguns. With my ARs like I said I leave an empty magazine in it while transporting but I also have my ammo in the locked case with the rifle and it's perfectly legal.

Great info. Been a while since I've gone to the range. Thanks for all the info.