Has anyone else thought of doing this?

The 338 spectre parent case is the 10mm mag and it works in a Ar so why not build a 10mm magnum Ar15? They say the best mags to use are the PRI 6.8Spc, the rounds are the same length as the 7.62x39.

I have a Spikes Tactical lower on the way and thinking about building one 10mm mag.

Has anyone else thought of doing this?

The 338 spectre parent case is the 10mm mag and it works in a Ar so why not build a 10mm magnum Ar15? They say the best mags to use are the PRI 6.8Spc, the rounds are the same length as the 7.62x39.

I have a Spikes Tactical lower on the way and thinking about building one 10mm mag.

Heck yea!

10mm mag

200 gr XTP's

10 inch barrel

Full auto

100 round Beta mag

Ear buds rocking' to Judas Priest Breaking the Law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How much and when can I pick it up!

I wonder if one could just ream a oly arms 10mm upper. That would be pretty nifty.

I wonder if one could just ream a oly arms 10mm upper. That would be pretty nifty.

I thought about that also then I knew mags would have to be modified in some way. That's when I came across an article on the 338 spectre and saw that the parent case was 10mm magnum, from Starline.

been thinking of something the same, an Oly upper wouldnt work because it is blow back. The 10mm case will work with a 7.62 or 6.8 bolt, by using a locked breach you would really be able to get the most out of the round.

sounds interesting a friend and I have been contemplating a 10 mm mag ar

The 10mm case will work with a 7.62 or 6.8 bolt

Ok. Spurred to action it may well be time to email my gunsmith. I have an old 6.5 Carcano that was butchered at some point. I picked it up at a yard sale and have never even shot it.

I have considered a 7.62X39 conversion for it using an sks barrel just to get into ammo that is available. But, yeah, only .024" difference in rim diameter, no reason I couldn't have it barreled for 10mm or 10mm magnum. Looks like a barrel blank would be about $85, so all that is left if to get it turned down to fit my Carcano.

Or....Maybe even a wildcat. 9X??? 10mm Magnum necked down to 9mm.

Edited by sqlbullet

I did a similar conversion on a small ring mauser, I used a rheinland arms mag well converter and ejector, with a green mountain barrel. Green mountain barrels has raw 10mm/40 blanks for $33

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=40-BLANK

I ordered 3 from them sometime back, I turned one down for the mauser and am sitting on the other 2 for future projects. Here is a link to the rhineland arms conversion, they sell the whole kit for the mauser for $160 in 45 acp with the barrel or $60 for the mag well adapter and ejector. Maybe it will give you some ideas. The adapter lets you use 1911 mags. I used a 7.62 x 39 extractor that I bought from Brownells for the bolt and it works well with the 10mm, like you said though, using a carcano the bolt should work well as is. Another thought would be to use a barrel with a barrel lock nut like a savage uses, this way you could turn down 2 barrels and have one in both calibers and the option to swap them out. I wish I would have done it this way.

I will get the mauser out and post some pics of it.

http://troupsystems.com/mauser45kits.htm

It really is a fun conversion, I am going to a 10mm mag in the future but it will probably be on the ar platform but I am not sure yet. Going to build a semi auto 10mm rifle next.

Good luck with your project, let me know how it turns out.

Thanks for that info. Gonna order a couple of barrels today!

Marty Ter Weeme at Teppo Jutsu built a 10mm Mag AR many years ago. He could never get it to feed very well. He sent it to me, and I screwed with it for countless hours and couldn't get it to feed either.

Good luck.....hope you can pull it off.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

I am going to use a modified 6.8spc mag similar to this, can't take credit for the idea, got it from Ron Williams.

10mmmag1.jpg

I am going to use a modified 6.8spc mag similar to this, can't take credit for the idea, got it from Ron Williams.

Ron Williams got the spacer block idea from me.....which I got from Mario Palambo at American Firearms Back in 1994.

Ron has a Tromix 50AE AR and I believe a 440 Corbon as well....both of which use that spacer block.

Your magazine setup is the same as the one Marty and I tried several years ago other than we were using a 28 round mag. We could get some rounds to feed, but never more than about 75% of them.

I hope you can get it to work better than we did.

Tony

Edited by TonyRumore