wile326

Which Conversion Ar 15 or M1 carbine

M1 carbine or Ar 15  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer?

• Ar 15 in 10mm
    • M1 Carbine

I am getting ready to start collecting parts for my next build but cant decide between the Ar or M1 carbine in 10mm. Whats your opinion. I can build the M1 cheaper than the Ar.

AR. An M1 carbine in anything other than .30 is sacrilegious.

An AR would be easier to build but a carbine would be more unique, it's up to you but I have both and I really like the compactness of the carbine.

a cabinet for sure. please keep us in the loop on this. 10mm Magnum would be nifty in that gun too.

i might have to head down that path too. keep my garlands company.

I feel that with no new M1 carbines being made, it would be a waste to convert a valuable carbine into a 10mm rifle, After all AR-15 receivers are a dime-a dozen.

Auto Ordanance is making new M1 carbines, it is what I am considering to use as the basis of the conversion.

I built this 10mm Magnum many years ago using a bare Iver Johnson receiver as a starting point.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

M110mmA.jpg

Very nice, I just sent the barrel of an Auto Ordnance M1 off to be re-bored to 40 cal. I am going to do the build in 10mm, thought about doing it in 10mm mag and using amt magazines but i didn't want to be limited in my OAL on the cartridge. That's why I am going to try the build in 10mm mag on the AR platform. That way I can experiment with the cartridge a little more. That project is after the carbine project and both projects are now on hold till after I return from my next deployment I just got orders for. So for now, I will just collect parts and information.

Very nice, I just sent the barrel of an Auto Ordnance M1 off to be re-bored to 40 cal. I am going to do the build in 10mm, thought about doing it in 10mm mag and using amt magazines but i didn't want to be limited in my OAL on the cartridge. That's why I am going to try the build in 10mm mag on the AR platform. That way I can experiment with the cartridge a little more. That project is after the carbine project and both projects are now on hold till after I return from my next deployment I just got orders for. So for now, I will just collect parts and information.

I just saw a M1 Carbine on Gunbroker that had been converted to 45 Winchester Magnum, so how much harder can it be to convert one to 10mm Magnum.

It is about the same amount of work, except with the 10mm, you don't need to open the bolt face as much, but you do need to make a mag well conversion to use different mags, i am going to use 1911 mags.

I also built one in .502 Thunder Sabre. It's a 50AE case with a 7.62x39 rim. This one was built on a Universal.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

50carbine1.jpg

50carbine2.jpg

.50 cal carbine, that is awsome, how did you do the barrel, stub, turn a new one?

I'd love a M1 carbine in 10mm. I'd love a M1 carbine, but can't justify the cartridge. But in 10mm, yep I could make that work.

I'd go totally sacrilegious, synthetic stock, DuraCoat, telescoping stock, etc... Have to be one already buggered up, or current production, though.

Sure would like to see somebody come out with a M1 based carbine chambered for modern (rimless) semi auto cartridges. That or for Ruger to reintroduce the .44 semi in the above mentioned rounds.

One can wish.

Like I wish I was handy.

Or...

I wish I was wealthy enough to pay somebody else to be handy.

a cabinet for sure. please keep us in the loop on this. 10mm Magnum would be nifty in that gun too.

i might have to head down that path too. keep my garlands company.

Autocorrect is awesome.